Dead Dog Renoise Competition Round 27

Voting is over and the results have been tallied. Close one this round with two very deserving entries!

But pipping the results by a single vote we have a winner!

Congratulations Kurtz!

You know what to do now ;)

1. Kurtz
2. Dunks

Tracking over, time to get voting.

Deadline for votes is 12noon UK time Tuesday 13th December 2011

Get your vote pack from: http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?600cg145d4kub5a

And a bonus track I feel sorry for disqualifying due to refusal to provide the xrns: Cas - Supreme Synthesizer Skills & Frivolous Forbidden Fruits

Rules loosely based around and extended from last round so time to home and extend the skills you have just been learning.

Deadline for submissions is 12noon, UK time Thursday 8th December 2011

Rules:
Tempo: Any
Genre: “Groovy” think hip-hop and related styles.
Time Signature: Any
Compulsory Sample: None
Additional Rules: All sound have to either be generated by yourself using MXB’s ReSynth tool, default waveforms plus those from the Adventure Kid Waveform Pack only. Render Selection allowed to generate layered sounds using different envelopes on different sections but please remember to leave originals and rename accordingly. Your own vocal sample also allowed, both those you capture using the Line In device or that may already exist as samples, whether they be by you or otherwise. They have to be recognisable as vocals in the way they are used. Renoise only. All features, functions, DSPs etc of Renoise allowed except Draw.
Submissions: Please submit links for download to me via PM so we can keep voting closed. .XRNS file must be submitted! Preferably alongside an audio file (mp3 320kbs preferred.)

ReSynth Tool:
http://tools.renoise.com/tools/resynth

Adventure Kid Waveforms:

Forgot to mention EVHAH did suggest the use of Forumula Device for helping to generate the Groove. Sure you all know what this device is by now ;)

tip… the coolest formula i found for now (easy to advanced level), is ```
(1-C)abs(sin(LINEFTWOPI* B)-C)

awesome wobbles. ;D  
and yeah since i test/driven it now for half a week or so i gotten it (fromagulatrix) to crash renoise one time.. with a triple formula->hydra setup with the last hydra modifying a parameter in the first formula device.. however renoise continued to function perfectly just as some others experienced, until i saved it and re-opened it anew in renoise. maybe a "edit mode" is an idea for the formulator. ![:)](https://files.renoise.com/forum/emoticons/default/smile.gif) so it doesn't try and execute every letter you type every .00003246 seconds!

Problem is less Formula Device crashing Renoise while in use but rather songs which worked perfectly fine then not loading again and crashing Renoise when you try and load them in a later session. So be careful and maybe make sure to save with version numbers more than you usually would.

Yeah a kind of mix between the formula round, the Resynth round, and the Vocal round…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxJsN7tnBDE

True. And i found the song I had that immediately shut Renoise down was fixable.

Repack and rename to .xrns

So maybe it’s a good idea to save songs with Formula Devices off.

tip 2: wolfram alpha for the lazy :P

Easy SDC, new permanent name for you? Could of got the Admins to rename the old account…

Always thought the old EHVAH bit was something to do with a sound system/group and the SDC bit your relationship/name. Can’t remember now how I came to that conclusion though…

It’s a very long time since i saw the Evil Dead movies, think i’ll have to cook some popcorn later on. ^_^

I’m actually trying to use alternative waveforms in Resynth, from the AKWF sample pack. This pack contains directories and small 2K samples in it (simple waveforms).

When copied in the appropriate place, those directories will be considered like “WAVEBANKS”, and the .wav samples will be considered as WAVEFORMS in ReSynth.

Note that the under Win7, the AKWF sample pack directories have to be copied in C:\Users(your name here)\AppData\Roaming\Renoise\V2.7.2\Scripts\Tools\com.mxb.ReSynth.xrnx\waveforms\

Maybe I’m wrong but it’s not recommended to change something in this AKWF directories structure, since if there are sub-sub-directories they won’t be listed correctly in the tool.

I am tempted to create a separate song to make some nice instruments using render to selection
and then use those instruments in the song I submit.

Is that allowed?

Indeed. The ReSynth tool does not do a recursive search. Only folders within the ‘waveforms’ folder will appear as valid wavebanks.

The Dead Dog Renoise competitions are a great place to share techniques, tips & tricks with other tracker guys.

You’re invited to release your .xrns files with your entry in .mp3 hq format, so that the others will be able to see how you’ve built your music.

Because of some problems of CPU that could happen on some laptop configs, you’re allowed to work with “rendered selections” of your own .xrns song, but you’re obliged to keep in this .xrns song every original samples and every pattern structures you’ve rendered.

You’re not obliged to render a whole .xrns to reuse it in another .xrns, you can just render patterns or even smaller portions of patterns.

You just have to select something in this pattern with your mouse and then right click, you’ll see in the popup menu " Render selection to sample".

Or you use Ctrl Alt R, it will automatically create a sample that contains what you’ve selected in your pattern.

Here’s how you can work then :
(1) select and hilight with your mouse a whole pattern and
(2) convert it to a rendered sample for your needs. After that,
(3) you move your “rendered pattern” at the end of your song,
(4) use the FBXX break pattern global command in the first line of the master track, so that renoise won’t play this pattern and jump to the next one automatically, and
(5) you mute all tracks in this moved pattern with the help of the pattern matrix for example (you’ll see a cross “X” what means that it’s muted)
(6) put a note on the right side of the pattern matrix like “rendered pattern #1

If someone wants to see how you created your rendered pattern they unmute the pattern for example… Get the picture ?

Thanks for the detailed explanation. I get it. It just bothered me to have unused tracks
just for samples, but I can live with it.

This competition is a great way to explore fun techniques, I’ll give it a shot!

Also please name any rendered combination in a manner that it helps know how it was built, either named after the pattern number used to create it (as per Kurtz’ detailed description above) or InsX+InsY if it’s a simple combination of two instruments.

Will do my best, unfortunately the time is short. I have so may things to do :-/

One entry in so far and less than a day to go. Hope some of you have had more time to get an entry done than I have recently! ;)

I’ve planned to make my track this afternoon, anyway I can’t do anything else, I’ve got a f… muscle spasm, I can’t move my ass from my chair.

As long as you can move your hands on the keyboard ;)

BTW I’ve finished, so there will be at least 2 entries. I tried to make something as “groovy” as possible and use some techniques I’ve learned in previous rounds. I’m sending you my entry right now. Good luck to the other participant(s) !