Dead Dog Renoise Competition Round 37

i’ll do the final round…hate to see these comps go but i’ve been busy w/ life too. I guess i’ll just have to make time for ddrc38…

Had one in from kurtz, working all weekend and probably busy seeing the new lady in my life in the free time so doubt I’ll get to get a pack together before then. Likely people will have until at least Monday before I get anything together.

Some ideas for final round would be good. I feel it should be a long round again, with the licence as a prize I’d like as many people as possible to have a chance of having a go ;)

There is one rule i would like to try out, but i don’t know if it’s worthy the final DDRC round, it’s just as simple as you have to draw from scratch in Renoise all the samples you wanna use.

Maybe the rule could be to pick a rule from any of the previous DDRC rounds? Maybe including the sample pack from that specific round? People should at least not complain about not liking the rules. :P

There are style-based rules (example : “do a creepy track”), and “technical” rules (i.e. a fixed low lpb, or 3 samples only, or 1 track only, or no sample at all), there are “tool-based” rules (use the resynth, or padsynth tool, …)… there are sample-based rules (example : use pig squeals, or fart samples…). I think we’ve allready explored lots of possibilities.

IMHO, for the last round we should simply give two words “FINAL BATTLE” & “musically” and “technically” be unrestrictive, and let the people use their lst skills and secret techniques, do their style, the way they want, with the tools & methods they like.

I still would not recommend external plugins, but would not give any more precise orientation.

The last round!!! What do you mean, last round? Is the DDRC dying? Is it going away!? Nooooooooo!!! :unsure:

Here’s the pack, better late then never but I did warn this round was looking to be quite delayed. I will update the first thread in future course, when I’ve decided what the deadline for voting is (likely it’ll be next Thursday.)

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?e2gfszoeem9c8cx

I think Kurtz and I are on the same page for the final round. Renoise only, any samples from your own collection (plus I’ll provide a little something too as people always like extra samples.) As I am gifting a licence and what as much participation as possible think I will run it for a month again.

Robbie: Yeah sorry to say I’m going to be taking a break at the least. Don’t feel I have the time nor the energy to be running these regular competitions at the moment. Maybe somebody will step in and fill the space. But in the meantime don’t forget about the SDCompo. Not strictly Renoise but is based around Modules (self-contained project files like Renoise has) and believe has quite a strong Renoise heritage. http://www.sdcompo.com/

Thanks kazakore,

I must say; I’m pretty blown away with what KURTZ managed to throw together in a few short hours!

-Griff

hey griff ! thanx :) glad you liked the tune. Yours is very immersive ! We both like cooking italian food and eat it while watching a nice horror movie.

Concerning my track, honnestly there’s no miracle the home-based-samples grabbing, was done in the morning, at the end of june, with a JVC camcorder. I had to “extract” the audio track from the .avi file, with Virtualdub. Then I had to import the whole .WAV file into renoise. I listened & sliced 95mb of usable content, I named it, renamed it, sorted it, filtered it, prepared some chains, well I prepared all the soundset… and finally this phase took me a full day. And even if I started to “move my ass” lately and recorded the patterns in a hurry, the musical ideas were waiting in a corner of my brain for ages, I just waited an opportunity ; when you know what you want to do, and when you use the power of renoise (shortcuts, tools, …), building an arrangement can be fast.

Sad news. :(

Voting poll added, deadline next thursday ;)

Can I have two votes? Both entries are awesome!

Re: End of DDRC.
Even good things have to come to an end sometimes. I always enjoyed DDRC. It gave me great insight in how to use renoise, and what’s more, it gave me friends and made me feel part of this community. Thank you kaza for this!

Glad to hear you got a new SO. :wub:
I’m in quite the opposite situation at this very moment… It’s like everything is smashed into little pieces. Anyway, I hope this will lead to some weird dark tracks. ;)

Whatever, I’m looking forward to the final round. I hope I find some time to participate, even though there are other things with higher prio ATM…

Edit:
BTW, is üav still active? Kinda miss him, I liked his stuff a lot.

…for a musician, a GF is a good source of musical inspiration ; however the GFs I’ve met didn’t liked the idea to be a source of something else… They liked the idea to be the “final target”.

Very nice tracks this round, great job! :guitar:
I chose track no. 17, wow lot of contestants this round. :rolleyes:

Sorry, I was meant to have announced the winner a couple of days ago wasn’t I!

Anyway Massive congratulations to GriffyBoy!!!

Will get the final round kicked off before too long. Planning a month of tracking and a pretty open round where people can use their own samples, alongside a provided pack for the sake of extra samples :)

Congrats griffyboy, awesome atmosphere. Got some music in public, eg. soundcloud? I’d love to listen to more. ;)

Kurtz, also wonderful stuff (as pretty much always IMHO). I like the somewhat overwhelming power of this one. I can see a huge trek of religious warriors in a desert on some faraway planet. Something like that.

Took me a lot of listening to both songs before I finally hitted(?) hit(?) that vote button…

interesting vision, thanx :)

Sorry, it was my birthday on Wednesday and I have been unsurprisingly distracted and away from here. I will try and get a pack sorted and round started within the next few days though :)

Happy belated birthday, Kazakore!!

No rush (even though I can’t wait for the next round), take your time (but yesterday would’ve been nice), don’t stress (just sit on a blowtorch and get your *ss in gear). ;) Nah, just trollin’. Do it when you can, we’ll still be here.

I’m actually already working on a track for the next round, or that was my idea when i started it at least. Just hope i’m not being disqualified for telling you. :P
No way i’m gonna lose the last round i gotta put my shit together and make the most awesome track in Renoise history. :rolleyes: