Difficulty With S Offset Command

I am a total newbie to Renoise or any kind of tracker but I bought it because I heard that trackers were used a lot for jungle music in the mid 90s and I would like to make some good jungle.
I thought about posting this in the beginners section but since it’s tips and tricks that I’m after, this seemed more appropriate. As a noob please bear with me if I say anything that just doesn’t make any sense.

I have been working with the amen break and using the S command to come up with some simple variations. I’m not very good at coming up with good rhythms when I try to manually program in a beat using slices so the S command with a lot of help from the F7 key to randomize the trigger positions is a lot of fun for me. I have been just dropping in the loop unsliced and triggering it at various points with the S command but I just found out that I can use the same command on a sliced loop but maybe have some extra control. The problem I’m having now is that the randomize pattern function now doesn’t create offset points that relate to the slice positions of my break. I’m confused about that. I can enter the correct positions in manually and it works fine but I lose the randomization feature that I love.

I’m also just very curious to read about any tips and tricks using the S command.

F7?

Ctl+F7 shortcut key to randomize pattern. It randomizes the S command for me.