Discodsp Highlife Now Freeware

http://www.discodsp.com/highlife/

Just been announced on KvR for anyone interested:

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.ph…asc&start=0

From DiscoDSP site:

Performance sampler with VSTi sampling, sample editor, five built in effects, flexible modulation, parameter morphing, highest offline resampling quality using 512 point SINC.

Just been playing around with this a bit myself. I can see it coming in handy sometimes, but I wish the interface was a bit more friendly. Zooming/moving around in the sample and setting up cue points and stuff is quite a pain. Still, the looping options which you can apply to each “slice” are very handy for doing weird things with breakbeats. There are several features in Highlife which I would love to see in Renoise one day.

Wow, seems i had luck, sold mine around one month ago. :lol:

Agree about the interface, not really delved into it too deeply yet but will certainly look into it more, nice freebie to have tho! :)

:) yes just noticed that before I posted this, searching for any prev threads about this topic.

Btw, Highlife is a nice little helper for sampling VSTi, for using them as XRNI, just use the VST hosting and auto sampling feature of Highlife and export the sampled set as SFZ format. The WAV files in that folder are mostly perfect looped and can be imported back into Renoise.

Can you have a sample, put markers on it and map markers to specific midi notes?

Yep, you need to play around with the cue/marker functions. If you change to the editor view you’ll get the waveform display in the lower portion of the interface. From there you have various extra options such as zoom, cue, loop, etc. You need to position the cursor in the waveform wherever you want it (just click once) then choose add cue from the cue menu. Any cues you add will automatically be mapped to C, C#, D, D#, etc.

You can of course zoom in and position everything more accurately, just drag a little selection in the general area you want and hit the zoom option, though the manual zoom in/zoom out controls kinda suck in my opinion, and as far as I could tell from the short time I play around last night there’s no apparent way to move around within the waveform once you’re zoomed in. Admittedly I didn’t RTFM yet, so there’s probably a way to do it, maybe a keyboard shortcut or something.

Overall the interface is a bit quirky sometimes but you kinda get used to it.

Thanks, got it. I noticed that this way every cue has the same rootnote, tho. (which causes different pitched slices) I couldn’t find a way to assign individual rootnotes. Is this possible?

But: if you use the ‘Sync Split’ option you can get slices always playing with the original pitch. (you can select the number of ‘Syncs’ in the appropriate box, prior to applying ‘Sync Split’.)

I’m looking forward to have these features in Renoise, tho. :)

I can’t seem to find a way to set individual root notes, but it is possible to make all slices play the same root note by setting the keyboard tracking to 0. This happens by default when you use the sync split feature.

Ah, I see.

I’ve been playing around a bit. It has some very nice features for a freebie, like cue-mapping or velocity-layering of samples. (These two would be very welcome in Renoise, I’m sure.) Not to mention the VSTi sampling, which is quite a unique feature.

But I’d also say that it’s a bit slow to work with, sometimes. Setting up drumkits is slow, if you don’t have all the wanted samples in one folder.