Do I Have To Donate 20 $ To Use Mirc (Or Am I Getting Screwd?)

Hi guys !

I´m new here at Renoise and so I was thinking about installing Mirc to chat with other Renoise members. I downloaded it & installed the irc client, but I only have a 30 day eveluation copy… According to mirc there´s only a one time fee of 20 $… My qustion(s) are, is this true or am I being screwed over ? You see, I thought mirc was a free software ? I have no problem at all to donate to them, I just wanna doublecheck this so i know that everything is in order…

Anybody now ??

Why are you asking this on a Renoise-forum?

Anyway, there are many other free IRC-clients if you don’t necessarily need to use mIRC. Here’s a comparison:

Don’t pay for something that’s free.

at worse, use mibbit, it’s web based.

Why are you asking this on a Renoise-forum?

Anyway, there are many other free IRC-clients if you don’t necessarily need to use mIRC.

Thanks for your help, going to check this up : ;) BTW I am asking this in a renoise forum becouse RENOISE.COM has a link to mIRC where they told that one could meet other Renoise members there… That´s why I posted my question here… :huh: Anyway, thanks again for your help !

i use mibbit cuz i am lazy like that

1. go here: http://www.mibbit.com/chat/
  2. find “Esper” in the drop down list
  3. enter nick
  4. enter “#renoise” in the channel box
  5. press “go”
  6. chat
  7. ???
  8. PROFIT

Don’t pay for something that’s free.

at worse, use mibbit, it’s web based.

ok thanks, but one other question though… Is mIRC outdated… I´ve gotten two answers so far and from what i understand it seems that no one uses an IRC client ?

IRC is not MSN or iChat or Skype or whatever. It’s just a protocol that enables group chats on a server. A more contemporary acronym for this type of chatting is SILC, for example.

Renoise has a chat room that uses IRC on a specific (group of) servers. You don’t have to use Mirc to IRC. It’s like Firefox and HTTP. To “web” you can use IE, Firefox, Chrome, Safari, whatever. To “IRC Chat” you can use anything. Me? I use Colloquoy. As posted above, look at the list of software that lets you IRC:

MIRC is the most popular on Windows. If you like it, donate $20. If not, use another software.

The people you got answers from probably told you they used to IRC back in the day, but don’t anymore. Well, IRC is still alive. Just not as mainstream.

Thanks man, that helped alot, still don´t know witch i´ll choose… But at least now I´ve got a little more knowledge ^_^ Thanks to all of you that´s been replying on this topic, see ya !

I’ve been using mIRC sinds 1997, never donated… still need to ;)

You can keep using the software after those 30days, fully.

After 30 days it asks you to donate with a nag screen and you can’t click continue. Well you can’t for a few seconds anyway but unless they have changed things (not actually used it in ages) then they never actually stop you from being able to use the program even if you haven’t donated.

Well, if you really want to use Mirc, as i do… changing platform is a B*tch.
i want to present you with a Link. 50% off really. $10, a more pleasant price if you ask me. :)

Edit: Link change… directed to the Mirc site.

You get a nag screen that won’t go away until you register, but you can indeed use the software indefinitely.