Do you Renoise on a laptop? If so, what do you use?

https://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-Satellite-1955-S805-2-53-GHz-Pentium/dp/B00008IHNQ

Mine. I care for hardware updates as much as for DAW-updates.

I do my main work on my iMac, but I also have a 2014 MBP that Renoise runs very well on.

Renoise is actually the only music program I enjoy using on a laptop. I transfer files between the two as needed. Iā€™ve written songs in airport bars using the MBP and Renoise ā€“ great fun, that :stuck_out_tongue:

-M

I use a Sony Vaio F11 Hackintosh with Sierra 10.12.6 and Full-HD. Renoise runs pretty well on it, within itā€™s natural limits. The main cpu consumption is caused by the plugins of course. Thatā€™s why the final mix never happens on the notebook, it would be annoying to do so. Also Renoise macos does not work so much faster if you higher the latency (which is limited to 75ms here anyway), other daws seem to be different here, having plenty of buffer mechanisms or so.

Lenovo T60, 80GB SSD. With Ubuntu/LXDE 16.04 32bit, jackd. Often logging in straight to Renoise session. almost no VSTs. I prefer trackpoint and top of the touchpad mouse buttons + builtin keyboard.

Tho I use occasionally external gear for samples, efx and whatever.

Actually the 1600 * 900 resolution werx best for me with the 3.1 Version 2.8/7 can go sum pixels lower than that.

I just need to get a super tall external display to keep track of melodies :stuck_out_tongue:

A lot of new laptops are convertible tablets, they can be removed from the keyboard and placed on a stand in portrait mode.

By pressing Alt-Ctrl-Left arrow key, renoise can be displayed in a vertical orientation, allowing for more pattern lines onscreen.

However it is a shame that renoise does not adapt to this, as the instrument list and file browser will get lost off the right side of the screen.

I know that renoise can adapt to netbook size screen.

Maybe renoise portrait mode for tablet laptops placed vertically would be a good thing to have ( without chopping off the instrument list and file browser ). Could add a scroll bar to get to them.

Iā€™d imagine with the use of a larger external monitor placed on its side ( for long / vertical display ), the instrument list and file browser will still show.

I do. lately Iā€™ve been using my gfā€™s ideapad y510p that she never uses and is letting me hold onto.

I used it for a few years on an Asus N750J (some mobile i7, 8 GB, 750GT, 17", 1080p) on Windows 8. Itā€™s a very capable machine for it. I switched back to a desktop a couple years ago (i7-5820k, 16 GB, 980ti, 27", 1440p), but since the high-dpi support mountain isnā€™t coming to me, I may actually re-activate the laptop for Renoise use because it just doesnā€™t work well with 1440p and my eyes (either too small or blurry). Planning to use some Linux flavor on it to slowly ween myself off Windows.

Lenovo ThinkPad T470p with Windows 10 here.

I just set up my laptop to dual boot with Windows 10, was previously using just linux, and amazingly windows automatically set up 125% scaling. Interestingly this makes renoise comfortable to look at and text is not like it is meant for ants to read. It seems that linux is unable to do the same thing, unless there is some way I donā€™t know of. I set up scaling to 1.2 in Plasmaā€™s preferences and it makes some things bigger but it doesnā€™t actually scale most programs the way windows does.

So now I am wondering about most of the people who complain about the lack of scaling in renoise, I assume the majority are not using linux.

Edit: Iā€™ve found a way to do it manually on linux using this https://github.com/kaueraal/run_scaled. It works but after a very quick test it looks like the gui runs a bit slower than normal and looks a bit choppy but I will investigate it a bit more.

ā€¦

However it is a shame that renoise does not adapt to this, as the instrument list and file browser will get lost off the right side of the screen.

ā€¦

If you reduce the window size of renoise to the maximum, you get a just resolution of 994 x704 pixels, which is the size adjusted to a resolution of 1024x768. This allows access to the taskbar of the operating system or even to click on the desktop from the side.

If you turn 90 degrees a screen of 1024 x 768, you have a width of 768 pixels. 994 - 768 = 226pixels that will be lost, which is approximate to the small amount of the instrument box (and I guess the adjustment will be forced from the upper left corner).

I think that Renoiseā€™s design must adapt to high resolutions screens. In such small screens, is that there is hardly any surface to do anything and it becomes something anti-productive (there are many controls and panels to show).

Its good that it goes as low as 994 x704 pixels, which is less than netbook screen resolution at 1024x600 pixels.

Working in renoise with a windows tablet placed on its side in order to see more lines in the pattern editor is not all that important to me, but it was interesting to note that the instrument list and file browser do get lost when using renoise in that way. Just an observation.

I wonder if renoise can adapt to weird ultra portable laptops like those sony vaio ones from a while back?

They might be cheap by now. Saw 2010-2011 netbooks for $30 on ebay the other day.

Quite a good deal for use with renoise if you can deal with not using many vsti or effects.

Probably filters are o.k but reverb will make it stutter from CPU load ( they are only shitty old intel atom, but they do have 2GB of RAM ).

vaio-p-update.jpg

I find it nice that used thinkpads are mentioned for ppl on a budgetā€¦ I guess those things were in the suitcase of so many insurance etc. company guys and got replaced after every x years, so thereā€™s some serious and reputable quality to get for a good priceā€¦ like you can get a used t420/t430 in good condition for around 200-300 ā‚¬ā€¦

the i5 processor is not the weakest, the keyboard on my 420 is very nice to work with, 430 has a different keyboard that I donā€™t know but is said also to be niceā€¦ things run linux with graceā€¦ the headphone jack has OK soundā€¦ I use mine when Iā€™m on tripsā€¦

just make sure you get one with 1600x900 display, there are some around with 1366x768 which are generall a bit cheaper than the higher resolution, but might be too limiting to use renoise properly withā€¦the display is not very lucid/clear though, this is business stuff and not visual designer quality, but for renoise itā€™s fineā€¦

The old #thinkpads are pretty neat, indeedā€¦good for handling audio, too.

Also, worth to check from that time - period would be the HP - Elitebooks;

built like a tank & decent latency specs etc. - talkin business - class, here.

I wanted to Renoise on a Raspberry pi. Heard it did Linux. Not so much.

Also, worth to check from that time - period would be the HP - Elitebooks;

built like a tank & decent latency specs etc. - talkin business - class, here.

My last 3 work PCs has been the Elitebooks, the first one with an early i3 was not very good, but my second one with ssd drive and a newer i7 was pretty bad ass. My current one is a downgrade after our company switched owners, an i5 something i think, didn, check its specs, but it has a ā€œBang Olufsenā€ sound system wich is pretty silly for some built in laptop speakers imo.

HP Spectre x360 13t-w013dx http://laptops.reviewed.com/content/hp-spectre-x360-late-2016-laptop-review

Love this lappy! 13ā€™ screen is no impediment, crystal clear and excellent sharpness. Super portable, very well built and incredible battery life. No SD card slot, but I donā€™t miss in on this.

Only thing I didnā€™t care for was Win10 so I scrubbed it off and installed my own highly tweaked Ubuntu install. Runs Renoise a treat. :slight_smile:

Cheers.

Would be kind of interesting to know what Taktik used 3,4 years ago to program the 3.1 Versionā€¦lenovo, hp or some more fancy stuff.

Renoise 3.1 is fine with most computers or laptops nowdays. That is why it is my first starting place to hunt for samples instruments and creating a track. It is so steady build it never crashed at all.
I do own Cubase 9.5 and all like Halion/Wavelab and loads of pluginsā€¦ Still the way Renoise is a tracker and you can directly edit all (like notes, samples, cuts, and fx) is so fast. If i need to do this with cubase i would have to take hours of naggy software and clumbsy mouseclicks to do so. Renoise can work a lot with keyboard and that is way faster!

Lenovo ThinkPad P51 here with Windows 10.

Very nice beast though the latency while playing a keyboard connected to a VST attached to a Renoise channel is kind of noticeable.