Do you Renoise on a laptop? If so, what do you use?

MSI GE62 7RE Apache Pro with 22" Samsung Full-HD screen

I used a Thinkpad x200 for years now Iā€™m on a Razer Blade.

Acer Aspire V3 with touch screen which is oddly lovanble FOR music production. Its strictly running TrueOS but dedicated partitions exist with that adware infected sexual transmitted in the worst way OSā€¦ YEAH! that Windowsā€¦ kicking around unbooted unless the lady part of my heart needs the rig.

If I was more well off than currenlty bust ass broke as a fucking bad joke-er Iā€™d like to try a high end Alien. Just once. Iā€™d like to at least give it a goā€¦

When I choose laptop this is what I first look at:

• Laptop must have numeric keypad (for shortcuts) / sorry iBook! :slight_smile:

• Laptop must have ONLY ONE Windows key, not two (CTRL, Win and LeftALT on the left side and ALT GR, FN and CTRL on the RIGHT part).

• Laptop must have LIGHTING keyboard (Illuminated keys) so I can compose music at night :slight_smile:

• Laptop must have LARGE ā€œENTERā€ key. Any smaller than LARGE will start making me annoying problems during workā€¦ :slight_smile:

• Laptop must have Left, Top, Bottom and Right arrow keys correctly placed for quick work. (I had enormous problems in past working on various different laptopā€™s keyboards)

• Laptop for Renoise must have keyboard as close as similar to LOGITECH Illuminated Keyboard for PC K740 - take a look: https://www.officestore.gr/product/logitech-illuminated-keyboard-k740/

• So I am happily using Acer Aspire V17 Nitro Black Edition since the day it is released :slight_smile: Best 17,4" laptop, a bit heavy but great for work :slight_smile:

Hope this helps for choosing the best laptop for Renoise. If you have better ideas - let me know :slight_smile:

Hope this helps for choosing the best laptop for Renoise. If you have better ideas - let me know :slight_smile:

Most workstation nowadays come without a numpad, which I find very essential for Renoise (predominantly in light of the fact that the default easy route for circle square is situated there). While I have a PC myself,

When I choose laptop this is what I first look at:

• Laptop must have numeric keypad (for shortcuts) / sorry iBook! :slight_smile:

• Laptop must have ONLY ONE Windows key, not two (CTRL, Win and LeftALT on the left side and ALT GR, FN and CTRL on the RIGHT part).

• Laptop must have LIGHTING keyboard (Illuminated keys) so I can compose music at night :slight_smile:

• Laptop must have LARGE ā€œENTERā€ key. Any smaller than LARGE will start making me annoying problems during workā€¦ :slight_smile:

• Laptop must have Left, Top, Bottom and Right arrow keys correctly placed for quick work. (I had enormous problems in past working on various different laptopā€™s keyboards)

• Laptop for Renoise must have keyboard as close as similar to LOGITECH Illuminated Keyboard for PC K740 - take a look:https://www.officestore.gr/product/logitech-illuminated-keyboard-k740/

• So which is a better alternative for phentermine? I am happily using Acer Aspire V17 Nitro Black Edition since the day it is released :)Best 17,4" laptop, a bit heavy but great for work :slight_smile:

Macbook (10.6.8) and Asus EEE PC (Xubuntu) here; Renoise 3.1.1 works great.

Both machines have SSDs and RAM maxed :excl:

For heavy DSP, I stick to the Macbook. Quick sketches and on-the-go, I use my trusty EEE PC.

Renoise can work on any machine, even if itā€™s more than 10 years old. :walkman:

elitebook 8740p here, works perfect.
before had a thinkpad t410 also works just great.

You will al laugh but I use Renoise on a 1.3ghz 12" MacBook :slight_smile:

And it runs fine! My projects are reasonably small, some VSTs are a little more CPU hungry - but Iā€™ve yet to get slowdown.

Again, my projects are relatively small. Im sure thereā€™s someone out there that can push its limits.

Iā€™m using a Lenovo Thinkpad L430 with an SSD, 14" 1366x768, only samples and no external VSTs/VSTis with Linux and it works pretty nice. I could use my U-he plugins but Iā€™m afraid the CPU load would allow me to have two or three instances onlyā€¦

macbook pro 15, 2013 model, core i7, 16gb ram. Renoise performs quite ok, rarely reaching cpu limit with 8ms. I use a lot of VSTs. Bought it for around 1000 EUR.

1 Like

Does the touchscreen add any value when working in Renoise? I didnā€™t think there was any touch support, but itā€™d be great to know if there was some killer use case.

T440(i3 16gb ram) T450 T460 T470(s/p) (32gb ram i7) - all was on linux except macbook pro 14ā€™ i7 16gb ram.
my 2 cents: renoise is lightweight and doesnā€™t require much. On linux i use all native stuff excep few airwindows plugins. You can do miracles with any decent hardware configuration. As im used to lenovo thinkinpads, they are robust, strong, and feel good to me.

cheers!

These are the exact same points that looked for while buying my new laptop. My previous Laptop was good but after using it for 5 years one day it suddenly started to a blue screen of deathā€¦ so I searched a lot and finally found a new cool Acer Laptop ā€¦ the Nitro version.

And it has all these aspects that you have pointed out here. And honestly, I am so happy that my Laptop is perfect for Renoise. I wish I would have read your post earlier then it was have been much easier for me to make this choice but anywaysā€¦ I am glad I still made the best choice and my Laptop is fully compatible for Renoise and I am able to work smoothly.

1 Like