Does Anyone Sample Synth Sounds To Use On Renoise?

I was wondering if people who use Renoise just use softsynths for synth sounds ?
So far I’ve just played with Triangle II, which is nice but a bit limited, and an Absynth demo, I’ve got a few hardware synths and would like to use them within Renoise.
Would it be better using Kontakt within Renoise as it has a lot of effects and features, has anyone multisampled an instrument to use within Kontakt? I think It-Alien mentioned that he uses Kontakt within Renoise.

What are your thoughts/opinions?

Thanks.

65% of all sounds I am using nowadays is coming from softsynth. About 40% is samples (either from vsti-samplers or within renoise), and only about 5% is coming from my old hardware synths and samplers. :)
To sample synths straight off sounds a bit pointless except if you have to free up some resources or mix down the material. Else it is probably best to keep the sounds in the synths as long as it is possible if you want to be able to change anything in the sound later on. Samples is better to use for sounds that is hard or impossible to make within the synths.
Multilayered samples is common when it comes to dynamic sounds, for example if you have a snare-drum or a piano-sound that shall sound different deppending how hard you press the key on your keybard. You can also use them in the same way as you use the oscillators in a synths so you can mix different sounds into one more complex sound. for example ;) the possibilities are endless :D

This realy depends on your equipment, I promiss you. With a good soundcard and a fast computer many softsynths can sound as good as many hardware synths…

this is not realy true. I know many pro musicians that almost only use software nowadays.

Peronally I don’t realy think samplers is a substitute for synths. I see them as complements to each other. Some things you can’t realy do with synths, other things you do better with synths ;)

the need for a sampler strictly depends on the kind of music you want to make.

for electronic styles, RNI (ReNoise Instruments) and VST synths are the best choice, while programs of sampled synths for samplers just suck.

for acoustic styles, samplers are of course unsurpassed.

I myself have made a RNS-only song (download it here if interested) and I’m very satisfied with its sound quality, though it was made with old XI samples.

I’m also finishing another RNS song (well… more an experiment), and taking part to the LongTrack project which aims to make the longest RNS song ever.

Both sides of composing with ReNoise really satisfact me and have thrown me really forward to any of my amateur expectations I had with FastTrackerII.

If I would be a professional, I would at least consider buying an hardware sampler; being an amateur, what I’ve spent to buy ReNoise, Reaktor3, Kontakt, Sampletank2, Slayer2 and several sample CDs is fairly enough, I think :)

In the end, using Kontakt for selfmade samples has sense only if you need multilayering and good pitching, otherwise VSTi limitations would not worth it.

I have 2 of them (one emu-sampler and one roland) and barely don’t use them anymore. You can buy one of me if you want :rolleyes: the computers do the work nowadays.
There is acctually nothing more proffesional to use hardware instead of software. It all depends on what you make with it.

ok, my considering session ends here then.

though I’m not going professional in anyway :D

I would prefer sampling hardware synths into a wav editor, then into Kontakt/Renoise etc, because of the lag that you get when midi sequencing through a pc usb midi interface . Thats not to say that its a Renoise only problem, but for tight midi timing I would need Cubase or Logic and their own midi interfaces, which wont be cheap … <_<

Plus programs like Reaktor, although nice and a lot more flexible than any hardware synth, are too complicated for me.

Bantai, how do you use your hardware synths along Renoise and what do you record onto?

I used to use an EMU ESI-4000 hardware sampler, but found it cumbersome to use, especially in comparison with software based solutions that all support .wav files as a matter of course.

I’ve read in magazines that a certain VST sampler (I think it was the one from Steinberg) does add a certain amount of imperfection to the sounds they play. We’re talking about the sort of imperfection you probably won’t even hear though. I’ve not been able to test this though, since I’m not up for forking out for it.

The impression I got from Renoise was that when it played samples back on it’s highest quality settings, that the result was mathematically perfect - that is no compromise on sound quality at all. I did a test on this using a .wav file which simply alternated between maximum and minimum amplitude, with one sample for each. I played this sample on renoise, rendered to a file on the best quality available - and lo and behold - the result was a sine wave - which is exactly what it should be. I tried this with another tracker (Octamed) and the result was a trianglular wave - not quite what it should be (although the practical differences may be virtually inperceivable by the human ear!). I haven’t been in a position to try this with a hardware sampler, but suspect that many would fall short of renoise.

So, in a roundabout sort of way, what I’m saying is that, the quality of renoise’s sample playback appears to be absolutely bang on. So if you don’t need the extra features of a VST plug-in sampler, then you may as well stick with it.