Does Digital Rendering Add Noise Or Distortion To A Signal?

For example, if I record vocals in Renoise, and then render them out to a .WAV in 16bit, have I lost any quality?

I didn’t know if dithering or somesuch concept might destroy the fidelity somewhat

I’m pretty sure Renoise records samples at 24bit, so you would lose some depth there.

The images help understand dithering a bit. Thanks for that. :)

Hey Organic IO :-),

If it’s possible I would avoid rendering + dithering to 16 bit due to the quality loss.
For export reasons and data exchange I render everything in 32 bit floating point.

For final rendering I also experienced strange artefacts when using Renoise’s dithering
(e.g. for my last SDCompo entry #35). I exported the whole song to 32 bit fp, imported
it into Cubase and used the high quality UVHR dithering there -> had no strange artefacts anymore.

So I would not recommend using Renoise’s dithering for mastering.
Reaper for example may have a better dithering algorithm - but have no comparisons.

cheers

LOLDITHERING

Hey Airmann!

The reason I wanted to render it out instead of saving/chopping later is because it was about 5 minutes worth of vocals and I had already gone through and made comments in the patterns about which parts I wanted to keep. It saved me time to just render out the patterns I needed (transferred to Melodyne so they would play even when they weren’t triggered from the top) , and now I’m able to trigger each part right at the beginning of my patterns (silence included) instead of finding the exact point to trigger it …

I decided to go with 24 bit rendering out though. Not sure why I’m in the mentality of always using 16 bit… Guess I should kill that habit.

yes a wav-track support is really missing in Renoise, escpecially when working with vocals.
I read about the rendering to pattern, but never tried it.
For the vocals I’ll use the Reaper-sync-to-Renoise method, but it has some drawbacks, too.

natural stuff rulez :guitar:

Honestly, I highly doubt that you can hear that much of a difference between 16 and 32 bit. I think 16 is high enough, especially if there’s gonna be other things going on in the track other than the vocals.

That’s probably true… but it’s the theoretical loss that counts. Dude you’re talking to a forum full of trackers. We are perfectionists. :D

Yeah yeah. But when you load Renoise and still have the startup tips active, I remember it says something like “lo-fi mat rocks” every now and then.

To be honest: I’m no sucker of the lofi stuff.
But as long as you render it to 32 bit it rocks :wink: ha ha !

Fully agree to Bantai:
16 bit for final master is absolutely ok and you won’t hear a difference to 32 bit.

32 bit fp is a good format for exporting / mixing / re-editing tracks.
It’s hard to oversteer / clip this format since it simple offers a wider addition range.

Moreover Renoise works internally with 32 bit fp, so you don’t need no conversion
when exporting.

this doesn’t mean it’s a given fact that it does or that this statement represents some non-disputable kind of reference.
renoise is a “music” tracker not a “certain genre of music” tracker/sequencer.
that means that lo-fi effects certainly make sense in a certain musical context or scenario but not always in any case. the same applies to bit depth, sample frequency and so on.

Yes it does, it fits everywhere. Just like the cowbell.

btw, the lofi comment was a joke. take everything I say with a grain of salt…

You mean like a laptop donation fund??? :P