[done 2.1] Keyboard Tracking On The Filter

simple as that, just another control on the filter to make it more usable

It’s been suggested numerous times. As far as i know nobody has really caught on even though it’s a tremendously useful feature that has been present in almost every hardware sampler since the eighties. (That is, practically as far back as there have been samplers.)

…but perhaps it’s in renoise’s future. Apparently there’s a new XRNI format in the works.

+1

Let’s just say uh… That keyboard tracking has been on synthesizers since god knows when, and is seriously, seriously useful.

Key tracking device: Lowest note, highest note, value multiplier, target parameter: Bam.

+1
We are missing thumb-up icon in smileys.

I am +1 on keyboard tracking in general, not only filter.
There were a few times I wanted to assign keyboard tracking to panning.

+1 for the general pitch -> panning ability; this is important for keyboard/piano samples, and I was kind of surprised not to find it in the Instrument Editor.

Its implemented in the latest version.
There is the KeyTracking component in the effects list, works nicely.
Can apply to any attribute of anything else.

That’s what the “*Velocity” and “*Key-Tracking” devices are for?

EDIT: Ah, OK, this is a pre-2.1 release topic…

Nothing wrong, it is exactly where it supposed to be :)

Not sure how much help this is for polyphonic instruments though, the key tracking device can modify the data on track DSP chain, but not single note like envelopes do.

My bad, I didn’t realise this had already been implemented (did you edit the topic title today, or am I really that unobservant?).

I have edited the topic title, don’t worry about your eyes :)

There seems to be some weirdness (possibly a bug) in how this works – if I set the pan range for the keytracker device to go from C-5 to C-6, and then use two note columns to simultaneously play both C-5 and C-6 in the same track, I would expect the C-5 note to be panned to the left and the C-6 to be panned to the right. Instead, they are both panned to the left. Removing the C-5 causes the C-6 to be panned correctly, but it doesn’t work with two notes at the same time.

Is this device expected to be able to pan multiple notes independently, or does it only set the panning of the entire channel based on a single note (even if you are in fact playing a chord)? If it does the latter, then this isn’t the substitute for Impulse Tracker’s pitch-based-panning that I thought it would be.

This is a channel based panning to my understanding, so what you see is not a bug.
Each channel has only one pan position at any given time, so Renoise has to do some decision when two notes are played at the same time.

EDIT:
Re impulse tracker - dont forget that Renoise, as opposed to IT, also handles VST’s - so it cannot use this panning feature on a sample basis, as IT or any other pure samples tracker could do.

I’m not sure what you mean – are you saying that pitch-to-panning functionality would not be possible as part of a sample-based instrument, or are you referring specifically to this keytracker effect?

I imagine that pitch-to-panning would be part of the Instrument Editor; you already have panning envelopes, and setting the panning automatically based on pitch doesn’t seem to be that far from what is already happening based on time.

Not at all.
I am saying the contrary.

On sample based instruments (which the Instrument Editor is for) you have more panning options than on VST instruments.

The pitch column and the instrument editor are examples of what you can do with sample based instrument only (i.e. panning column does not effect VSTs).

On the other hand, with VSTs, the only panning controls you have are:

1. Panning on the channel level
  2. Panning on the VST level.

So, if you are using sample based instruments, I understand that you may be disappointed.
You can still use the keytracking pitch but it will be on the channel level (meaning, chords will not work as you expect)

If you are using VSTs, you can:

1. Use the keytracker to influence Renoise’s pan or
  2. Use the keytracker to influence the VST’s pan position - assuming it is controllable.

So first, make sure you understand where are all the places where you can control panning in Renoise (channel pan, note pan through the panning column, instrument panning, sample panning, VST panning etc. ).

Once you are through with that, see if there is a way for you to make the keyracking device send its panning instructions to any of the above (at least ones that support it) to see if you get the desired result.

The bottom line is that I think you cannot make keyrtacking panning work nicely with chords. But I haven’t tried, so I am mostly guessing at this point.

Only the pan-column right behind the note-column inside the track allows you to pan notes independently (if you use internal Renoise sample based instruments!!) All devices on the DSP rack cover the whole channel indeed.