[Done 2.7] Render To Sample -6Db Solution

+100000 %

thank you!!!

+1 for dblue’s approach. Current way gets even more cumbersome when lots of stuff needs to be rendered as selections and exported (like in sound design).

+100 Coz it’s so confused now. And it’s not so obvious to set Amplify +6.021. And, please - make some dB marks (the top level meter at least), coz now it’s not informative (like Amiga’s Octamed pretty but useless level bars :rolleyes: )

Yes, please, this is a sane request, because right now I sometimes have problems understanding what is happening when doing mixing… And why does renoise have that -6db rule at first place? I am a relative newbie, so I don’t know how does it have worked before. I know that some applications are using pan law of -3db and -6db, but I have never seen a software that have -6 db gain reduction, this is something new to me…

Just wanna say it’s great to see someone take their time to explain something so throughly that it’s impossible not to understand :)
Great effort DBlue!

what taktik said

Aha, thank you! Well, when I read it, it looks quite reasonable, I have been used to do gain settings myself… interesting concept for sure.

I have read the comments that explain the behaviour but I have to disagree to the fullest.
the -6db rendering is a disaster .
Should be optional or removed completely.
I have resampled something 3 times and not to have to adjust the mix I had to use 3 gainer dsp’s set to + 6.021 db to get it close to the original mix. It’s stops the workflow.

Is the problem here caused by whatever you select is rendered from the Master Channel, not just a sum of the tracks selected? And why would you want your render to by processed by any inserts on the Master.

Absolutely agree to CLAPZ. This thing must be “optional”.

+1 getting rid of that nonsense!

completely impractical for all the reasons folks mentioned. plus i think it’s more confusing than helpful, especially for new users - just doesn’t make sense. and there’s a good chance the routine of increasing the volume again after rendering downgrades the sound: stuff like quantization-noise will increase too, normalizing the sample introduces inter-sample-peaks, …

getting levels straight and understanding dynamics is a lesson every musician/mixer has to learn anyway to get a good sound so why bother with false ‘helping hands’.

and btw, the whole ‘babysitting’-aproach seems to fail imo - pretty much every renoise-vid i’ve seen has the master channel yanked all the way up and is obviously clipping because folks over-compensate the low volumes…

my2cents

+1 for 1:1 gain, exactly like dblue said.

Agreed! 0db should be -6db as little as C major should be A major.

Another vote for dBlue’s 1:1 idea. It was like this years ago, although I can see this introducing a problem where some people’s songs will clip with the newer implementation. I tend to aim for a -6dB peak in my mixes (or less), so going back to 1:1 would cut it fine in many cases.

I am also for the deactivation of the -6DB solution. I think for a “newbie” is the “right” mixing of all sounds one of the first steps. The first terrible mixed tracks are good for learning. ^_^

this

this

i agree, not very fond of the -6db approach.

not fond of the -6dbv either. 100% with dblue

Theoretically I’m also in favor of Dblue’s 1:1 idea.
but maybe it’s better to let everybody experience the difference in practice in some next beta.
only the devs know how big the clipping problem is if the tracks are true 0db.
Also brings me to the question how sample players in other DAWs are handled.