[done] One-shot Lfo Mode

We talked about this a long time ago, and i’m just going to be a bitch and drag it back out.

The LFO has a lovely custom waveform editor. What i’d like is a way to turn off LFO cycling and have an LFO run once through its osillation whenever it receives a reset command.

I’m sure i don’t have to tell you how useful this would be, almost elevating the LFO to a generic envelope device (which we’ve been yearning for for a long time).

Seriously, the LFO is probably the most useful internal device in Renoise, and adding a one-shot mode to it would multiply that by 10.

+1
Should be very simple to add and would be extremely useful.

What you can do in the meantime, and that you probably know already, is to make your custom envelope, then lower the lfo frequency and at the same time increase the points. This way you can make a very long lasting LFO.
Not ideal, but it works.

Wouldn’t that also need a “retrigger on notes” option to be really useful?

The velocity device take care of that.

Well it’s strictly speaking not about triggering on notes. It’s about having an envelope you CAN sync to notes or whatever, and leaving that choice up to you. If you need it to trigger on notes, just reset the LFO every note.

But it’s really about more than synth style envelopes for melodic instruments; for that matter, for the most part, the existing xrni envelopes handle that.

For me, primarily, it’s about adding extra dynamics to beat programming.

+1

This is actually how I thought the LFO was supposed to work when I first picked up Renoise, probably because of the reset option.

+1, but…

I agree with taktik: a “retrigger on note” option would be useful and save a lot of work.
Also, there could be a slider to set a minimum threshold of when a note’s velocity causes the retriggering of the lfo.

On the other hand this whole “retrigger on note with threshold and routing it to a track’s effect” thing should better be integrated as envelope (next to cutoff/resonance) in the instrument section in an upcomming version.

I’d go with the “don’t loop lfo” and “retrig on note” options for now as it should be easy to implement and plant into the gui.

That is exactly what the velocity device do.

OH HELL NO!? DONE!? :D :D

(after testing)

You guys are angels. This is perfect and amazing. It saves me so much trouble.

I think you underestimate how bloody useful this is. This changes my workflow completely.

Hi Sunjammmer,

could you explain to me , a Noob , why this is so excellent . . . ?
(I’ll take the risk of sounding like an idiot)

(There are so many possibilities in Renoise, sometimes it helps if some one can just really spel out for me , why a certain feature is a really amazing thing to have)

In a sentence. Instead of tweaking a gate to duck your kicks, simply draw a curve for it and trigger it with your kick.

Instead of automating or hand-keying filter tweaks, draw a curve and trigger it when you need it.

This lets you make short bits of automation and trigger them at will, whenever.

It’s like doing an awesome effects tweak and then being able to repeat it whenever you need it as a pattern effect.

It’s badass.

sunjammer: could you please make a small tutorial song for this, like the one which are already available in the installation pack? I think it may be interesting to add such a tutorial to the collection.

anything under 100kb (with OGG encoded samples) is welcome

yep, that sounds fantastic!
thanks for the explanation.

Isn’t there something wrong with the velocity device. It seems when I reset a custom LFO device and retrigger a note, the LFO plays the end shortly before playing from the beginning?

A dedicated note retrigger on LFO’s would be nice, more user friendly and enough for most purposes.

You must have set it up wrong then?

If you set ‘Dest Min’ and ‘Dest Max’ both to 255 then you will start play on the end of the cycle.
Set both to zero.

I see, both to zero works. :)

I’ve never used it before, even though it’s a feature I’ve secretly wished for :huh:

It-Alien; I’m going to Brighton for a few days, but i’ll put together a tutorial xrns sometime next weekend

When do we get such nice and flexible LFO in instruments?

Hm so apparently an LFO set to one-shot stops transmitting values once its pass is done.

This is both good and bad. Mostly bad. Good in that it lets you resume “normal control” of the parameter after the LFO has had it’s way with it, say if you’re tweaking knobs live or something.

However. Let’s say you animate the offset of one LFO with another, and the first LFO is set to one-shot; the offset LFO may still be modulating, but the output of the modulated LFO ceases to have an effect.

Am i making sense? =)

A big part of the appeal of Renoise’s LFO device (which is ridiculously useful) is chaining LFOs, and as it is, chained One-shot LFOs don’t play nice together.

Thoughts on this?