Don't rescan directories, but use FSEvents on OSX

Renoise is re-checking dir contents every 10s, instead using FSEvents or similar. Not a bug, only HDD lighting up constantly.

Are u still on hackintosh?

Yes. TRIM was enabled btw. (“trimforce enable” command).

@ffx

I use several SSDs on my PC with Renoise (and many other programs), and I can assure you that Renoise is not the cause of the evil with your SSD drives.That said, even though the operating system is constantly bombarding your SSD, the SSD should not fail, either in 1.5 years or 6 years! If it fails, it is because of the poor quality of that SSD or perhaps the accompanying hardware. Any flash memory chip that has a malfunction or the controller chip may fail. I have used SSDs from Kyngston, OCZ and Corsair for several years and I have never had any problems. Just tell you that I have a quality motherboard, and most importantly, a decent power supply.

I would forget some of the software and I would pay more attention to the hardware.I also make sure to use the latest official SSD firmware available.

Yes yes. But open a filemon in macOS and see how Renoise is constantly querying config dirs for changes. 12 times a minute, 17280 times a day… Ok, maybe it was a coincidence.

The SSD has 5 years warranty, today I have fighten thru Samsung hotlines and after 3 calls and 3 mails, I will get a RMA pickup ticket. It was a tough job. Let’s see, it will take 14 days.

The EVO 850 is meant to be quite high quality, but maybe that’s just a lie. 19 months and death. My mainboard is a normal asus one. Power supply is much higher than all components require. Had the same with a 3TB HDD before, also as macOS main partition. Well, maybe bad luck. All my older drives still work fine. The older the more stable it seems. The temperature neverwas higher than 32 degree celsius.

Yes. TRIM was enabled btw. (“trimforce enable” command).

its mackintosh issue. never had ANY issues with real hardware in years under pretty hardcore conditions, various SSDs (standard, m2.sata, pcie, etc).

its mackintosh issue. never had ANY issues with real hardware in years under pretty hardcore conditions, various SSDs (standard, m2.sata, pcie, etc).

You mean Mac hardware or PC? macos issue or hackintosh issue?

You mean Mac hardware or PC? macos issue or hackintosh issue?

means its your system issue. i had none on various apple hardware systems (MacBook Pro 13, 15, Mac Mini, iMac)

Hm, did you enable TRIM for third party SSDs?

Check for demonic energy or past incidents in your house and ask a priest to pray for you. Seriously, if it’s not technical maybe it’s room environment or room spirits.

No demons here, very good energy overall.

It is a technical reason, namely macos spotlight + poor production quality. Lot of reports of a failing EVO 850 and previous, a failing Western Digital 3TB HDD (masses of reports, btw. was another computer). I would assume the quality of the internal mac hardware ssds is far superior over a samsung evo 850. Also maybe HFS+ isn’ the best filesystem for a normal SSD. So after upgrading to 10.13, I will convert the SSD to AFS and also TRIM should be then enabled by default.

Also maybe Apple left TRIM disabled for third party vendor SSDs for some good, unknown reason. So no idea what Ransom is talking about, I guess he even did not manually enable TRIM (which is required to have it) for his 3rd party SSD, and this is the reason to fail. Though hardware should not fail under any software dependent circumstances, agreed.

Well, let’s see what samsung will do while repair. I now bought a (slow but IMO more durable) 2,5 inch 4TB drive for about 130 Euro (the usb3 external variant, which is surprisingly 40 EUR less expensive than the included SATA drive alone). Even more surprisingly, a baracuda drive with included SSD cache was inside oO (which makes no sense due the crappy USB3-SATA adapter). Speed is quite ok on SATA port directly, after first indexing and caching.

So coming back to the original topic:

Do you think a constant dir check by Renoise is bad for a HDD durability? The accesses surely sum up over time. There are file system events usable instead, so Renoise would receive an event on file creation instead and update the contents. I think it is called “fsevent” under macOS.

It depends on many things dude, its partially related to TRIM too, but its your system to blame 99%.

Wait till High Sierra comes out, it ll solve many HFS+ crapffs issues perhaps.

It depends on many things dude, its partially related to TRIM too, but its your system to blame 99%.

This justis utter non sense. One day your overpriced mac hardware will malfunction, and it will be most likely that you will have to throw it away. Of course a normal PC hardware is so much morereliable. And if something does not work, you simply replace the component. No service or motherboard replacement required. One day you will think of my words again. I will never buy Mac hardware again.

i’m not the one here whose SDD dies all the time and not the one who blaming renoise on this, dude. I meant that u need to check ur system and tune it proper and search answers on SSD related things on such forums like osx86tonymac or something like that, not here. May be its a chipset issue, may be an ssd controller on ur motherboard, etc.

Ok, then I did not understand your point, but you did not read exactly, too: First a HDD (Western Digital 3TB) died, on another computer / hackintosh / older macos. Now a SSD died, again another computer, macos sierra. So it does not seem to be likely a hardware problem, but more a software one. Or maybe a bad ssd from samsung. Well, they now will send me a replacement drive. Also I did not blame Renoise. I just am asking, if these contant accesses could harm the livetime of today’s low quality hdds/sdds. Just as an idea, and it is also quite uncommon that a software constantly scans dirs.