Double Clicking The Slidey Bar

Just a quickie… :guitar:

In some programs, double clicking on a parameter/knob/value resets it to the default (zero) position.

I don’t know how universal this is - but if I want to reset a parameter value in the bottom area of the renoise interface, my brain wants to automatically double click on the slidey bar to reset it, and then I realise “woops, Renoise doesn’t do that” … I catch myself doing it all the time.

It’s not an option I would die for (afterall, it’s just a tracker), but obviously a few other (music) programs have this option , otherwise the subconscious usability section of my twisted brain wouldn’t just do it.

I like this idea.

Resetting some certain devices to default requires looking quite closely at the parameters, also remembering what the default values are which is not always immediately obvious.

One thing I would add though is incorporating this with the automation also, as this is perhaps the most frustrating part - finding the exact pixel to put the automation point to set, for instance, a gainer back to default is mindnumbingly tedious, as you essentially have to guess where it would be, then carefully, painstakingly adjust it up or down pixel at a time and go back to the DSP chain screen and check the parameter’s value to make sure its correct.

Difficult enough to explain - doing this several times for every automated device that doesnt have parameters that default at 0% or 100% drives me insane.

This would be a nifty feature to have.

Axelstrain:

Have you though about entering the value (0dB for the case of a gainer) then right clicking on it when it is in the correct value. With will enter the value at the cursor position into either the automation window or the pattern editor depending on which you have it selected to record to.

Of course this doesn’t help if you don’t know the value you were looking for (and you often knock the fader slightly right clicking it)

I’ve thought about a way of setting the default value as well many times. My idea is to enter an empty string as the value to revert to the default value (since that is not always 0). But that doesn’t rule out other ideas like double clicking etc.

Testing a bit here, it seems that entering “r” leads to somewhat suspect values on certain sliders… :unsure:

Axel? heh

my sister used to call me that when I was 2 years old because she couldnt pronounce Alex ;)

this has occurred to me, but yes the problem is when things default to odd values with obscure decimal places. I mean near enough is good enough most of the time but sometimes the difference is noticable. Another point to add, perhaps some way of transferring the automation points programmed in the pattern sequencer to the automation window and vice versa could also solve some problems.

I have suggested that before somewhere as well…

Sorry about the axel. I suffer from dyslexia, especially when trying to type withj a spliff in my hand ;)