Drum generator WIP

This looks very useful and interesting.

All sounds great, man. Good luck pulling it together. I’m going to have to do a video on all the tone generator tools at our disposal before long. You’ve added so many good ones to the arsenal! :metal:

1 Like

First going to say “Thank you” …this looks real fun!

Noticing there is a selectable volume envelope; would it make sense to have a “pitch envelope” as well?
Wondering if there is a way to “add new envelopes” to these dropdown lists?

1 Like

@martblek Another idea, probably a tough one to do -

In the ZynZilla tool, there’s a dropdown menu for a variety of standard/non-standard waveforms. I saw you specifying which waveforms were being used to create each sound, and wondered if that particular dropdown menu might be an option. Then, we’d have nearly endless drum/percussion tones.

Screenshot 2022-11-07 at 5.43.09 PM

Since I haven’t heard what you’ve created yet, maybe this is not necessary, and maybe your instrument creates enough sounds as it is! We’ll find out :smiley:

I also thought of using it, but I have no idea what would come out of it. It’s true that anything else is richer in harmony than sin/cos. I’ll try it. The truth is that many of those sounds can then be created.

1 Like

There are basically 41 volume envelopes so far.
Some could be adjusted, there may not be x^3, x^4 but x^N. Adding your own envelopes is not planned yet, because I haven’t solved any custom widget that would allow it. The creation of envelopes is actually done mathematically.

1 Like

Ultimately, this is a sample generator- the end user can modify the sound via envelopes afterwards. This is not dissimilar to other tools I work with in this regard. Importantly, it’s Renoise-native.

@martblek, I’m proud of ‘ya for making this. I love having tools for this sequencer that work inside its own environment. The less need for external plugins, the better!

Volume envelopes are just a quick option for those who don’t want to play with the settings.
It is primarily intended as a sample generator and not an instrument.

Just turn it off and then you can set what you want in the instrument.

Unfortunately, now I have solved it so that the generator creates a kick for C-3, snare C#3, hihat D-3, karplus D#3, so the envelope created using renoise would affect all samples.
I will probably convert this to the creation of individual instruments.

3 Likes

THANK YOU!!! This will offer much more in the way of getting more sounds to the end-user. Plus, it will teach many more about the general synthesis and sample usage of percussive sounds. A bass-drum sample, pitched up 10 octaves makes beautiful clicking sounds, for example. Really looking forward to this - the more we can work inside Renoise, the more money the end-user can save, and the more they can learn!

Hello,
Today I rewrote part of the gui code and saved 70%.
I’m looking for the best possible initial setup. I want to do morphing in the tool.
I need to add something and rewrite something.
I made a short video but I’m not a YouTuber so sorry for the quality.
I also dragged the sliders just like that so sometimes the sound is crazy.

here

3 Likes

Dope :fire:
Looking forward to release!

1 Like

Beautiful!

this is very cool! I hope taktik will someday make support for such tools for realtime work. this would greatly expand the renoise itself for sound design

I had a bug just now, randomizing a clap, did some manual cutting inside renoises sample editor and pressed the randomize button again in the tool gui;
"Users\pluge\AppData\Roaming\Renoise\V3.4.2\Scripts\Tools\cz.martblek.AlmostDrums.xrnx\main.lua’ failed in one of its notifiers.

Please contact the author (martblek (martblek)) for assistance…

std::logic_error: ‘invalid frame index ‘9628’. valid values are (1 to 9627).’
stack traceback:
[C]: in function ‘set_sample_data’
.\src/render.lua:476: in function ‘render_sample’
.\src/gui.lua:958: in function ‘randomize_selected_sample’
.\src/gui.lua:1037: in function <.\src/gui.lua:1036>"

omg,
I never thought that someone would manually drill into the sample :slight_smile:
I’ll have to check it out.
thanks for the info.

This bug affects all my “realtime” tools :frowning:

1 Like

loving this tool, especially the new cymbal generator.

a request for the next update, can we see what kind of filters are at work for the hihats and cymbals? Or are they all of one kind?

Cymbal …
It is generated by adding noise and 6 square waves with a set detuning.
Then it goes through a lowpass filter and then 3 highpass filters.
Last in line is a simple “Comb feedback” filter for “metalizing”

Cool. That’s what I was after, thanks!

Really liking the sound of this. Think it may become my new go-to for psy percussion, aside from kicks

Are the hihat filters all HP?

Let’s discuss in this thread
now official
So this thread can be closed.
Thanks.

1 Like

:+1: