Dual, Quad Core

does renoise support multi core cpu, i mean for a vsti to use multiple cpu is it renoise related or vsti related ?

Multicore support is inherited by the host application regarding behaviour of the DLL libraries that are loaded. When Renoise loads VSTI or VST plugins this is no different.

To make it short:Renoise does currently not support multicore yet (at least you won’t really benefit from it) and the VST plugins loaded in it will then also not be balanced across different cores.

Will support for multiple cores come very soon or do we have to wait for several months?

I’ve read somewhere that Renoise supports dual core cpu’s by doing all GUI calculations on another core, and all audio related on second core. Is this true?

Yupp.
Though the graphics calculations are no major part of the processor load.

I’d throw the master and send channels FX-math to the second core as well to make it more or less balanced.

Hehe :) i would rather ask will multicore support come very soon (several months) or do we have wait for a year(s)

just bought myself an Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual-Core 5200+ with 2 gigs ddr2 ram! :dribble:

very… very excited about that! :w00t:

@AVB this is just one example for the 5200+ to fall way behind the E6400, which costs way less than the AMD CPU. i could post dozens of further ones here, but felt like it was superflous.

so what i wonder about is… why did you go X2 instead of Core2Duo?
price/performance ratio is way worse on the AMD side.

The pic seems slightly unfair. I’ve read a lot of reviews, and basically Core2Duo E6300 is comparable to AMD X2 4600+. At least I doubt Pentium XE 965 is slower than E6400 within 0.5%. Pentium XE is just a boiler nowadays.

@ keith303 and Zed

is the graph accurate or not?

Went for an AMD because I have one (Athlon 2200+) and never had problems with it, and it’s cheaper than the Intel processor.

the whole computer cost me (before taxes) $983. The Intel one with an E6400 and 2gig RAM would go for $1,299.

so… :blink:

I assume there is no universal test to make the absolutely fair results. You’re right, Intel Core 2 Duo are cool, but AMD X2 are quite good as well, go AMD if it’s cheaper, I doubt you’d lose more than 5%-10% CPU power.

There is some fresh test C2D E6600 vs AMD X2 5000+ http://www.3dnews.ru/cpu/amd_athlon64_x2_5000/index2.htm
the text is russian, but the graphs are english.

You will be happy no matter what.

But there is no doubt at all that the C2D rule these days.
Especially if you consider overclocking and look at audio orientated performance.

already went. :) bought it yesterday; Dell is building it as we speak. Should be here by next week or so.

and another thing is that, 5% - 10% cpu power is probably not noticeable in real life day-to-day use of software anyways.

:P

I’ll tell you more… If there are some money left then go and buy an ergonomic chair or even keyboard, and you’ll be happy about the power loss :)

:lol:

man, actually I’ll be broke for a while, because I went like “What the hell, let’s spend more money!”, and got a studio desk just like that:

it’s called Quiklok Z-600 and it costs $600. pricey but it’s a beauty, will be able to have my gear sitting nicely on it.

well, almost 1700 bucks later and I’m a happy broke lad.

That desk is great! Must write the name down for when i’m out shopping desks… . Quiklok Z-600…

And yeah, i would like Renoise multithread ready aswell, but no hurry for me. :)

The desk looks like a chancel ;)

Yeah you can almost hear a divine chord… :P

i think that athlon’s have a more intelligently designed memory pipeline. i find amd’s perspective on x86 alot more elegant than intel’s however, intels current core 2 processors are just made using a better manufacturing process now. amd will catch up (i hope, i really like amd)

as far a multioprocessor support, it would seem to me that in order to intelligently utilize multiple cores in an application like renoise, you would need to find a way of scheduling dsp calculations to different threads based on load. renoise can currently poll the cpu to determine the load that’s placed on it (with an acceptable range of accuracy).

i suppose i’m just curious about how the dev team sees developing for multiple cores. would it involve a load balancing approach, where renoise is aware of the load on each core and assigns tasks to different cores? would there just be a dedicated track-dsp core?