Duplex Beta Versions

i encountered a bug in gridpie w/ monome128 when there are tracks in pattern 1 selected to play, and i change track 2 from pattern 1 to pattern 2, all the tracks change to pattern 2.

edit: is this the proper place to report bugs?

Today I use Duplex 0.98b18 after some blank time, and I notice that the lighting feedbacks of some buttons (solo, mute, trackselector, etc) don’t work correctly. I can control Renoise normally though. Maybe something are changed or broken?? :huh:

I’ve tested on both nanoK2 & APC20.

Hmm, some buttons are lit correctly (Matrix slots, Navigator, Pattern loop, etc) but some don’t be updated their lighting feedbacks (Solo, Mute, Edit, Pattern follow, etc).
Especially, Trackselector 8 buttons on nanoK2-Mixer config are strange. They are lit correctly when I use prev_next_track 2 buttons, but aren’t lit when I push 8 buttons directly.

@satobox: thanks, I have received a couple of reports on those issues and it basically should get solved with the next update. I have been holding back because I wanted to test it some more, but recently there has been a lot of travel activity for me personally, so I should simply get it released

Actually, I think we are nearing a non-beta 0.98. I will of course share any & all issues that might pop up in this last phase… :slight_smile:

Duplex 0.98b19 has arrived, here is download page

Changelog:

– Duplex 0.98b19 -----------

Duplex core API

• Display: removed some checks before updating hardware display (should have done so earlier?)

Effect application

• Fixed: device-navigator now works after switching song/document

Monome XYPad control-map

• Fixed, corrected tilt-sensors to use floating-point values - was incorrectly labelled as integers

Monome XYPad config

• Fixed incorrect placement of “focus button”, improved layout

Launchpad Effect config

• TrackSelector now using full width (8) as the default page-size

XYPad application

• Simplified setup: auto-generated names identifies “managed” XYPads (no more need for manually specified id’s)

Confirmed that the button lighting bug was fixed in 0.98b19. Thanks!! :D

Sure, bugs can be discussed in this place. And I think I have confirmed it - seems to happen after a pattern copy.

PS: detailed discussion of Grid Pie features has been moved into the application’s own thread :slight_smile:

I’m considering getting another launchpad, so I could use one with gridpie and one with stepsequencer.

Is there any limit to the amount of similar devices I could use with duplex? Anyone else have multiple launchpads?

Only if the device driver has one. I personally have used two launchpads when performing (one of them I borrowed, but it’s a fine setup).

I’m on linux, you’re on osx, right? That could make a difference…

Hey danoise or someone else lua master,
just curious though :huh: , is it difficult to create the vu-meter application for Duplex??
I think that it’s fun visually when I will make youtube movies, if there is a such app.

like this:

Much more than eye-candy, it’s really something I am missing from time to time, to see which track(s) are actually playing.
A VU-meter could even be squeezed into a single button, you don’t need a lot of room to make it useful.

As for the actual implementation: well, it’s not hard to make but it would be a hack:
Basically, one could create a bunch of formula-devices (one for each track) which would track the volume.
Then, creating a bunch of buttons or sliders which would display the volume would quite easy.

But as you may know, I’m opposed to the idea of adding stuff to songs - I prefer clean implementations that use API features for everything.
So, unless someone else is going to make it, I guess we just have wait for the API to support such a feature

Ah I see, I do not hurry at all. Then let’s wait the API support. :)

Duplex 0.98 b20 has arrived!

GridPie has received a massive update: edit-sync is now a complete feature and some
issues with ‘keep the beat’ has been resolved (this involves the option to select your
song’s basic rhythmic measure).

Also, minor workflow improvements make it even more usable and it comes with a
new layout for the Launchpad as well (featuring the new PatternSequence application)

Here, Grid Pie is combining 3 patterns with different lengths (4, 8 and 12 lines) into a single pattern (total of 24 lines).
The edit-synchronization feature is then making it possible to edit them in real-time - or something close to realtime.

Download link has been updated, SVN too. Read also: my post about what this means, and what features to expect

-- Changelog --   

GridPie  
* Edit-sync: automatic background-synchronization of pattern data  
* Edit-sync: detect changes to the pattern length (source tracks)  
* Update grid display as content is created or removed in the matrix  
* Visualize the currently selected pattern (when the controller is able to)  
* Attempt to maintain pattern matrix slot mute states at all times  
* Ability to clone the __GRID PIE__ pattern without stopping the application  
* New option: Beat-measures (related to the ‘keep the beat’ feature)  
* Fixed: removed display-glitch in the virtual UI (on startup)  
* Fixed: remove all notifiers when app is stopped  

PatternSequence  
* New application: simple sequence navigation (first/next/previous/last)  

StepSequencer  
* Fixed: focus bug when holding button  

I’ve been meaning to ask this question for a while…
-Is Duplex incompatible with rewire?

Every time I fire up Reason in rewire-mode, Duplex gives an error and stops working.

Anything I can do to work around this problem?

I’m using the latest version of Reason.

Thanks in advance.

This rewire-related bug is news to me, but it’s most likely easy to fix. Thanks for reporting.

It has acted like that since I started fooling around with Renoise/Duplex. I don’t know if it’s something with Reason 6/Record. The old Reason 4/5 might work, but seeing as I’ve owned Record/Reason for as long as I’ve owned Renoise, I’ve never tried the older versions with Renoise/Duplex.

Found it and fixed it B)

Download Browser.lua from here, and simply overwrite the existing file with the new version

Awesome! That did the trick.

Big thanks for the fast response Danoise, you truly rock!
…and sorry for not reporting this sooner. -It’s been bugging the hell out of me!

A new version of Duplex is up - get it from this location

– What’s new in Duplex 0.98b21 -----------

TrackSelector

• Fixed: application was updating display when stopped/paused

StepSequencer

• Support line_notifier when slots are aliased (also when created and/or removed)
  • Workflow: when navigating from a long pattern into a shorter one, start from the top (IOW, always restrict to the actual pattern length)
  • Fixed: update the volume-level display when base volume is changed
  • Fixed: selecting a group track could cause an error

Navigator

• Fixed: issue when loading a new song while Navigator was displaying nothing
    (playback happening in a different pattern)

GridPie

• Fixed: retain mute state when toggling a pattern off (hold x2)
  • Fixed: track navigation could show wrong track on startup
  • Turbocharged (pattern cache + aliased slots)
  • Feature/workflow: (even) closer integration into Renoise
  • detect changes to mute states in the Renoise matrix (mouse+alt-click)
  • detect when a pattern has been scheduled in Renoise
  • disable pattern loop to allow song to play, pattern-by-pattern (1)
  • Feature/workflow: ability to clone gridpie pattern while playing

(1) This, and pattern scheduling via Renoise can be considered experimental as we can’t reliably detect a scheduled pattern.

Duplex Core

• Fixed: bug when handling MIDI ports that are added/removed while running
  • Streamlined documentation with lua-doc friendly code formatting

Hmmm, this doesn’t seem to work with an arduinome 64 (connected via serialosc). The leds properly light up according to the Duplex window, but apparently no messages from the buttons are received. Duplex configuration matches my serialosc.conf below. Any tips?

server {  
 port = 8082  
}  
application {  
 osc_prefix = "/duplex"  
 host = "127.0.0.1"  
 port = 8002  
}  
device {  
 rotation = 0  
}