Duplex Beta Versions

Hi arigy, welcome aboard :slight_smile:

It’s a shame there is no official Duplex github repository, but anyway.

It will happen soon enough. I had a ‘test’ repository, but we are going to make an official one for all the renoise tools.

For now, yeah the forum is the one place to exchange patches and discuss code…

Again, no-brainer on line 112 of MessageStream.lua :

Well, no-brainers are never trivial when you dive into something complicated.

Thanks for taking the time to do a bit of investigation - I never considered that states could have this side-effect :blush:

Dirty fix for BUTTON_HELD events being passed to Renoise (issue caused by the above patch to MessageStream.lua ):

-- ensure that we have MIDI data before passing message
  if pass_msg and msg.midi_msgs and
    (msg.device.protocol == DEVICE_PROTOCOL.MIDI) and
    (evt_type ~= DEVICE_EVENT.BUTTON_HELD)
  then
    local osc_client = self.process.browser._osc_client
    for _,midi_msg in ipairs(msg.midi_msgs) do
      osc_client:trigger_midi(midi_msg)
    end
  end

I have a feeling, that this is the wrong place for check, but it worksforme.

Here is a little maintenance release of Duplex:

https://forum.renoise.com/t/duplex-beta-versions/30625

Pretty much the same as the previous beta except for the following

• Includes a new Akai-MPK225 template (thanks mattnasty)

• Some fixes and improvements to the MidiActions application - should fix this error(?)

@arigy: I’ve not had time to look further into your suggestions. But will do :slight_smile:

Hey gang,

does someone have a Duplex Maschine template handy?

I know only of an old one, but this is very old (from 2009) and is also in a different format. (see here:https://forum.renoise.com/t/maschine-midi-mapping-template/26984 )

I’ ve read somewhere in this thread or on the tools-page that Duplex “natively” supports Maschine, but Maschine seems to be the

only Duplex-supported controller in that list where there is no stock-template in the dropdown list, that’s why I ask. Is there a specific reason for this?

Best,

tL.

Hi tL One

there is no stock-template in the dropdown list

hm, you are right that’s mentioned on the tools page but not actually included with Duplex.

There was a 90% finished version, but it was never completely done - let me give it an extra look and see what can be done about this.

Note that Duplex is about creating controller configurations that do exactly what you want them to do. You are “mapping” things using these configuration files. Useful info here.

Now, I have no idea what you would want or expect, but I could create something that worked in a similar way to how the MIDI template (the link you provided) has been set up?

Hi tL One

hm, you are right that’s mentioned on the tools page but not actually included with Duplex.

There was a 90% finished version, but it was never completely done - let me give it an extra look and see what can be done about this.

Note that Duplex is about creating controller configurations that do exactly what you want them to do. You are “mapping” things using these configuration files. Useful info here.

Now, I have no idea what you would want or expect, but I could create something that worked in a similar way to how the MIDI template (the link you provided) has been set up?

Hey D’, now that would be pretty awesome. Don’t know how much work that is, I am pretty sure I can’t pull that off myself though… :slight_smile:

Besides that I think that a maschine template would be an excellent addition to the duplex templates anyways and would help me a lot

and certainly others as well for sure. And that old template had pretty much everything I would need.

Let me know if you can come up with something without too much effort or hassle. That would be ace.

Best,

tL.

serialosc now needs to be the default protocol, as monomeserial is unsupported upstream, broken, and hasn’t supported devices made in the last several years

True, just never got the damn thing to work with XP (which I was running until half a year ago).

So the default option was that protocol - for my own convenience :badteethslayer:

But to be fair against serialosc, monomeserial is actually being translated to in realtime by Duplex - so, essentially a second-class citizen.

I was fully aware that monomeserial was being phased out, even back when I started the project.

For 3.1?

When first using the Renoise performance interface for TouchOSC in combination with an iPad Air, I had to realise that certain mappings won’t work as expected:

1. The push buttons for DSP / track page navigation don’t react so that only 11 effects / 16 tracks can be controlled via TouchOSC.

2. The currently selected DSP effect is represented by its device name and not its display name so that it is really difficult to differentiate between devices when more than one instance of a given device is used.

3. The currently selected track number / track name is not displayed.

I could adjust 2. by simply replacing device.name by device.display_name in the Effects application (Effects.lua) of Duplex. For 1., I found a partial solution by editing the configuration file (TouchOSC_iPad.lua) in such a way that the TrackSelector application is used for page navigation instead of the Mixer application.

Secondly, I added

device_next = {
group_name = "DSPNext",
index = 1,
},
device_prev = {
group_name = "DSPPrev",
index = 2,

to the configuration file and changed value="/1/DSPNext %i" to value="/1/DSPPrev %i" for in the controlmap (TouchOSC_iPad.xml).

Since I’m not a programmer and I don’t want to become one for simply controlling Renoise with the help of a TouchOSC template, I’d really appreciate some help on how to implement DSP device page navigation for the Effects application and on how to display the currently selected track instead of the word “Track” in the performance interface. I think the usability of the template for users without programming experience could benefit from it.

Thank you for your help.

I’d really appreciate some help on how to implement DSP device page navigation for the Effects application

You mean, when you have several DSP devices in a chain and want to navigate through them?

There is no direct mapping for this, you’d have to set the active device (device_select)or stick to triggering next/previous.

The active page should update as a result of this.

Btw: you’re more thanwelcome to share these improved TouchOSC configurations, make it part of the next release.

For 3.1?

For 3.1?

I totally second…er… third that demand !

My BCR is sitting dead on my desk at the moment. And it’s very sad !

Understood :slight_smile:

The plan was/is to release updated versions of the tools during the beta test period.

I should have time this weekend.

Understood :slight_smile:

The plan was/is to release updated versions of the tools during the beta test period.

I should have time this weekend.

I hope that there will be posibility to edit modulation / effects in instruments also :slight_smile:

Ive bought amazing korg taktile 25, best midi for renoise ive tried - talking about composition (you can paste chords by pads and create arp or control XY deviceby XY pad)
So when new duplex will be out i will create mapping for sure :-))

I’m testing the next release right now. No new features yet, just adding support for Renoise 3.1

I hope that there will be posibility to edit modulation / effects in instruments also :slight_smile:

Ah, never considered modulation to be a potential candidate for an application.

But if there was such a thing, I would definitely also take some cuesfrom Ledger’s Quick AHDSR tool.

What I do want to make is a program change application.

Imagine a Launchpad running Keyboard and Programs? Perfect for playing phrases in 3.1

OK, the 3.1 version is ready for download

http://www.renoise.com/tools/duplex

I am maintaining both 3.0 and 3.1 versions for now.

But I’ve added a bunch of archived releases to the topic, just in case.

Wow, great news, thanks danoise !

The update has broken the XY pad for TouchOSC. When changing the position of the pad, the following error message occurs:

Error Message: 'C:\Users<user>\AppData\Roaming\Renoise\V3.1.0\Scripts\Tools\com.renoise.Duplex.xrnx\main.lua' failed in one of its notifiers.
Error Message: Please contact the author (danoise) for assistance...
Error Message: .\Duplex/Message.lua:69: Not implemented
Error Message: stack traceback:
Error Message: [C]: in function 'error'
Error Message: .\Duplex/Message.lua:69: in function 'get_numeric_value'
Error Message: .\Duplex/StateController.lua:79: in function 'handle_message'
Error Message: .\Duplex/MessageStream.lua:141: in function 'input_message'
Error Message: .\Duplex/Display.lua:771: in function 'generate_message'
Error Message: .\Duplex/WidgetHooks.lua:560: in function <.\Duplex/WidgetHooks.lua:556>

I’m using V3.0.1 / V3.1.0 b5. Thanks for having a look.

The update has broken the XY pad for TouchOSC. When changing the position of the pad, the following error message occurs:

Error Message: 'C:\Users<user>\AppData\Roaming\Renoise\V3.1.0\Scripts\Tools\com.renoise.Duplex.xrnx\main.lua' failed in one of its notifiers.
Error Message: Please contact the author (danoise) for assistance...
Error Message: .\Duplex/Message.lua:69: Not implemented
Error Message: stack traceback:
Error Message: [C]: in function 'error'
Error Message: .\Duplex/Message.lua:69: in function 'get_numeric_value'
Error Message: .\Duplex/StateController.lua:79: in function 'handle_message'
Error Message: .\Duplex/MessageStream.lua:141: in function 'input_message'
Error Message: .\Duplex/Display.lua:771: in function 'generate_message'
Error Message: .\Duplex/WidgetHooks.lua:560: in function <.\Duplex/WidgetHooks.lua:556>

I’m using V3.0.1 / V3.1.0 b5. Thanks for having a look.

Cool, thanks. I will take a look at this.

Note that you can still use the previous versions (see OP) and change the manifest to to “5” for the API version. It’s primarily the Keyboard and Mlrx applications that are affected by the new API.