Duplex Beta Versions

Hello,

Does “Navigator” send 0 value when current step is over?

edit:
Sorry, BCR does leave the lights on with normal midi notes too. CC works fine.

Had some tests with NOW, it is very cool, but how about mono version of it?

• All notes on 1 track
  • Gate time is affected by line space between steps:

50% Gate time with note on every line would look something like

C-300 .. F8  
C-400 .. F8  

and 50% gate time with note on every 2nd line:

C-300 .. ..  
--- .. F0  
C-400 .. ..  
--- .. F0  

• Glide to note (0% = retrigger, 100% = slowest glide)
  • Skip note, so one could leave gate time 100% (no gating) and use gate time on skipped note (velocity 0 = skip note?).

Behaviour would be more like classic hardware step seq & cleaner, but is it too much effort?

Then it wouldn’t just be a mono version, you’d have to strip several more features like note retriggering.
Or could you imagine retriggering to work somehow in a single-track version?

Yeah, this one is actually on my personal TODO list. I want to change the way N.O.W is interpreting gate values, so we can set something like 50% to create a note which is half the length of a step. Current system is nice too (tick precision), but it’s too difficult to control IMHO.

Yes, I actually would prefer little stripped down mono version with basic pitch, gate & velocity.

Maybe, if line space would be more than 1 line?
But I don’t see current retrigger option very useful and would prefer “E0”-“EF” pattern retrigger commands here instead.

Yep, this is why I first started thinking about single track version, it is easy to make too many notes collapse (+ 1 track goes over my screen limits with 8 notes :()

Just an idea, unfortunate that I can’t make much more than controller templates.

Little bug:
Effect parameter mappings on Delay device will map 7th & 8th knob as “Sync L(/R) Delay time”. Moving knob will give this dialog:

I think you have some of these on your TODO list or some may be possible already, but here is my list what I would like to see in Duplex:

• Select FX device by dial / fader
  • Sysex mapping (possible already? found something about controlling sysex device with duplex on the forum)
  • Toggle mode which outputs track levels to track volume knobs (for monitoring levels with knob leds)
  • BPM
  • Block loop size
  • Select pattern line with dial / fader (so that knob will also show pattern position when follow player position is on)
  • Change between Pattern editor / Mixer / Keyzones,. Disk Browser / Scopes,. etc with 2 button spinner
  • Master volume knob fixed to Post stage (so Pre/Post mode won’t affect it)
  • Record knob movements to automation -button (!)

Ok, now I’ll try now not to disturb you for a moment :)

Thanks aksn, let me just go through that list of yours:

I’m not really sure why it’s not an ordinary slider (can’t remember?), but I can’t see any reason this shouldn’t be possible.
I also would like to create next/previous style navigation for it, and have some other ideas as well…

Sysex is supported, when it makes sense to do so. For instance, the APC20/40 controllers receives a sysex message on startup.
But if we are talking about storing synth presets, this is more the job of a dedicated sysex/preset librarian.

Tracking the actual volume is not possible ATM. We need realtime methods in the API for this to work.

I’ve got some ideas, but never really found a proper solution for limited resolution (7bit MIDI can only access 128 values, which is far from enough to control a reasonable range).
One very handy feature would be for Duplex to support relative encoders, then the 7bit problem wouldn’t be as obvious. Other ideas involve tempo nudge buttons and tap tempo.

We could add simple expand/contract block loop to the Transport app, but know this: block loop behavior is pretty erratic, as we can’t really set the block loop size unless you’ve got song-position follow enabled. Try to experiment with the Navigator application to see what I mean.

Not really sure where this idea fits, but it’s good one nevertheless.

You’re talking about view presets? Sure, that could be done.

You can achieve this in the Mixer application by setting the initial mode to POST, and disable pre-post sync

Already done, I’m just doing some tests to eliminate the worst bugs. No button though, it simply syncs to the edit-mode in Renoise.

Hey, i’m just playing around with new new Duplex beta and i am not sure if/how i can achieve the following:
for BCR2000 Effects: how can i select the current track on the BCR2000 itself? It’s way to complicated to select the track with the mouse…
Moreover it would be nice to have an additional parameters configuration “All Mixer parameters” for all displayed Device parameters in the Mixer View, independent from the selected track…

And i noticed a little misbehavior regarding the BCR2000 Mixer: if Pre/Post sync is enabled and the song is initially loaded (song saved before with Pre enabled and hence started with Pre enabled), the BCR2000 is synced to Post. One has to switch to Post and back again to Pre to get the mixer settings in sync…

With a bit of control-map hacking, you could include the TrackSelector application in your preferred BCR configuration.
For example, you could swap the Mixer solo buttons with the TrackSelector’s “select_track” mapping to gain direct access for the first 8 tracks, or you could assign the same parameter to a dial to support “unlimited” tracks.
The TrackSelector also has mappings for selecting next/previous track, and some special buttons for going to the first sequencer/master/send track :slight_smile:

Unfortunately, this is not possible ATM. Each song which is saved/loaded will default to the POST mode (I just did a test with a song, looking in upper right corner of the Renoise mixer confirms that the state is in fact not saved with the song).
If you really want the BCR to start in PRE mode at all times, your best bet is to disable the Duplex Mixer’s PRE-POST sync option, and set it explicitly to PRE.

Ah, thanks, that did the trick. I created a new configuration and mapped the Solo Buttons to the Track Selector. Also i mapped the prev_next_page to the same buttons as the mixer and set the mixer to follow track, so the two parts are working well together… :D

It seems that it is saved as a program setting (on Mac OSX): if i start up Renoise, the Pre/Post setting is remebered.
Sure, as a workaround i could disable the sync.
I don’t know much about the Duplex internals, but isn’t it possible to check and utilize the actual pre/post setting during the initial “send-all-values-to-the-device”-stuff?

^ Looking for sysex support just to make controller higher resolution, so you could make knob range from 30-999 (for bpm) without any value skipping + controller screen would show you the value nicely.

Ok, not so important, but nice candy :)

Mm… not possible to convert basic “Loop Block Range [Set]” from Renoise MIDI Mapping to Duplex? It works just how I like, but would want to avoid having master controller as MIDI “In device” (so duplex mappings won’t send midi to HW synths, etc.)

Transport section?
Would be just nice to scoll thru pattern with knob, when correcting some wrong notes or composing step-by-step with midi-keyboard. Also to see pattern position feedback on controller (like navigator but with 1 knob). Problem here atm could be with plus 128 -line patterns for some lines to get skipped.

I meant controlling 3 tabs in renoise seperately, but yes, view presets should work also nicely.

Very nice! Looking forward to this. Edit-mode sync will work just as good + saves you 1 extra button.

Hi

if you want to keep the light on when you release the button do that:

in the korg kontrol editor put all the buttons you want light on in toggle position (of course export the template in the nanoKONTROL…)

then, in the nanoKONTROL.xml change all the line :

normally you see that:

replace “button” by “togglebutton” on all the lines

after change you see that:

do the same for groupname button 2 & boutton3

and excuse me for my english !!!

Hi Mooko,

Well, maybe you misunderstand a bit.
The DoubleDeep’s problem which you quoted was already solved by himself.
The cause of the problem was mismatch of the button behavior between Duplex map and Korg Editor.
(He set “Toggle” behavior in the Korg Editor, though normal “button” was set in Duplex Map, so he was troubled.)
The method that you suggest is not necessary because the combination “button” in Duplex map & “Momentary” in Korg Editor works fine too.

The problem that is not yet solved is; we cannot reverse how to light the mute button in nanoKONTROL2.
There is the option called “Invert display” in the Mixer.app, but it isn’t effective for nanoKONTROL2 (it’s effective for APC and LaunchPad though).
I’ve tried the “togglebutton” combination, but it cannot fix the problem unfortunately.
Well, it’s not a serious problem and we can live with as it is though. ;)

Et voila, what is probably the final beta for Duplex 0.98 has arrived. The big news? The Mixer and Effect applications are now able to record automation!!

It’s simple to use - any automatable parameter is simply recorded when you turn/push a control while edit-mode is enabled.

You have two different recording modes: touch and latch. Touch recording doesn’t really require any explanation, it works just like normal automation recording in Renoise.
Latch mode, on the other hand, is different. Once you touch the controller, the automation will start to produce a continuous envelope, overwriting existing automation data.

automation.gif?raw=1

As you can see, latch mode is writing automation data ahead of the current position, with a slight amount of extrapolation.
The extrapolation is only applied to cubic/linear envelopes, so simply choose point envelopes when you want changes to happen instantly.

To enable automation recording for your device, go to the Duplex options panel and select one of the options (it’s disabled as default)
1 “Disabled, do not record automation”,
2. “Touch record: record only when touched”,
3. “Latch record: touch to start output”,

NB: The Automation class is a work in progress, and still exhibit certain quirks. For example, if you use both the Effect and Mixer application to record the same parameter (such as volume), they might conflict. To resolve this, just toggle the edit-mode once between takes, as this will stop all active recordings.

i tried 0.98beta4 NOW - its a great tool it brings me fun to play also without controller! thanks for this!
but im missing the matrix+transport for launchpad - i also like it with the navigator but then i have tracks 1-7 / 8-14 /15-21... ( im not trained to think fast in 7+7+7…) i would prefer it without the navigator than to have 1-8 / 9-16… to stay in 4+4+4+4… it is a better overview on which track i am, would be great to implement this again when it goes official to the toolspage, on the other side the navigator is great too and i would like to use it as live tool - i had some idea:

is it possible to change the “play / follow mode button” (i never need this for liveplaying - for what i use LP) into toggle between “sequence trigger” and “navigator”
or to switch the config for device on the fly while holding this button + one of the buttons on the right to choose another deviceconfig so it would be easy and fast to change to mixer or whatever - i don`t know if this is possible?

Congrats the new release!! :)

Personally I’m not a LaunchPad owner though:
Unfortunately, it’s not possible (at least in the current Duplex).

I think it’s not possible too currently, indeed your idea is very nice though (only during holding the SwitchConfig button, the config selector button’s row appear. Intuitive, and it prevents mishitting). It’s cool if it’s developed in the future.

Actually if we set the current SwitchConfiguration app to LaunchPad, simply it’s needed 2 buttons (go to Previous/Next config). Moreover, we need reconsidering about all each config of LaunchPad to add the 2 buttons.

Try setting the matrix to scroll in increments of 4 instead of “automatic” - in Duplex settings → Matrix → page size. Then, you’re scrolling sideways in the matrix with a step-size of 4 and up/down with a step size of 8.

Another feature in this release is serialosc <-> monome interoperability

Both monomeserial and serialosc are pieces of software which sit between a monome device and the software using it. On the surface, however, the difference between the two is small - it basically boils down to how the control-map values are written.

But while this is a small difference, it would be tedious to maintain a growing number of control-maps in two different versions. Instead, Duplex is now translating the newer control-map format into the older one on-the-fly, to avoid breaking existing setup. However, it is recommended that you update to serialosc if possible. Not only because it’s newer, but also because Duplex wouldn’t have to translate anything then, possibly saving a few CPU cycles in the process.

After you have installed serialosc and confirmed it’s working, the switch is simple to perform:

First, open your monome device folder and locate the file named “monome.lua”. Inside the file, locate this line:

self.comm_protocol = self.MONOMESERIAL  

and change it to

self.comm_protocol = self.SERIALOSC  

I don’t think you need to support monomeserial at all.

http://docs.monome.org/doku.php?id=setup

Ah, but so far Duplex has used monomeserial without a problem, and although it might not be supported forever, there are reasons for it’s continued support:

The primary reason is not to break anyone’s existing setup. Convenience, you might say. The second reason is that I never could get serialosc to work on my windows machine. Believe me, I tried. Monomeserial, on the other hand, is working fine there.
And then there’s still plenty of monome scripts around which have never been updated. But since you can’t have monomeserial and serialosc running at the same time, the interoperability feature is quite valuable in such a situation.