Duplex --- Help With Ohmrgb

Hi all

I’m having trouble getting my OhmRGB to show more than one colour coming from Duplex. I’ve been diving through code for two days and I’m out of ideas…

The OhmRGB is simply an Ohm64 with RGB LEDs, so I tried changing the color space to various combinations, nothing makes a difference. Does anyone know the details of what MIDI messages are sent out for colour changes? I know that the OhmRGB expects a velocity value (or cc level) which it maps to a colour. But Duplex doesn’t send out a velocity as far as I can see from the MIDI dump and from checking the messages in MaxMSP.

I’m hoping I won’t have to modify core Duplex code for this but I will if I have to. I’m pretty new to lua so the syntax and object orientation is still a bit greek to me.

Many thanks to anyone who can help!

I also cannot write the color code though,
It is needed to write proper color code into “Duplex\Controllers\Ohm64\Ohm64.lua” file. (like LaunchPad and APC20)
Well, let’s wait for danoise’s help. ;)

This is the color setting for OhmRGB:
http://wiki.lividinstruments.com/wiki/OhmRGB#22_:_Color_Map

Ah, I didn’t realize there was actually missing code in the Ohmxxx.lua script that controls colour messages. The colour setting for OhmRGB is customizable as to what velocity is associated with which colour, it’s mainly a question of ensuring that a colour change in duplex manifests as a velocity change in the MIDI sent to the controller.

I’ll check out the LaunchPad and APC20 for inspiration. Once this is solved I’ll put it up for all you OhmRGBers.

OK, I tried using the point-to-value function from the APC40 in the OhmRGB and it’s working! I just have to adjust it so it shows the proper colours on the controller and then it’ll be ready to go.

It’s identical to the Ohm64, but with with RGB LEDs?
You’ll probably be one of the first to really appreciate the ability to customize colors in applications then :slight_smile:

Notice however that the Duplex StepSequencer does not yet conform to the standard palette format, but this will be worked out ASAP

Yes I’m very much looking forward to some dazzling light shows. At the moment the OhmRGB firmware only supports 7 colours per LED but in the future they may increase that number.

It’s also possible to change the velocity->colourmap on the OhmRGB but I’d rather just leave things default on the controller and let Renoise call the shots. Anyways, it’s not a huge deal if the colours don’t match as long as they convey information.

Is there a controlmap which uses the colors on the OhmRGB? I tried with Duplex but everything is still in yellow color…

You can’t just send a color to the Ohm without Duplex “knowing” how to convert a RGB color into something the controller can understand. So it’s a question of figuring out how the OhmRGB receives those colors (which midi message format), and then implementing it in a “driver class”.

Ohm is simple, just a min/max scheme for lit or unlit state.
OhmRGB is a little more complex, but not much. Found this in the Livid WIKI:
http://wiki.lividinstruments.com/wiki/OhmRGB#22_:_Color_Map

I guess this should be enough for me to write a driver.

Yes it looks easy… I ain’t got a clue on how to write a driver.

Are you doing it already? Can I help?

Yes it looks easy… I ain’t got a clue on how to write a driver.

Are you doing it already? Can I help?

I should be able to come with something tonight or tomorrow.
Obviously, you can help by testing - I haven’t got access to one of these controllers myself

I should be able to come with something tonight or tomorrow.
Obviously, you can help by testing - I haven’t got access to one of these controllers myself

I have one and I am Livid’s dealer for Colombia. I am able to do any test you need

I’d love to see it shine, thanks!

Here’s a quick test release with OhmRGB support.

Download the tool, drag to Renoise and select Tools > Duplex > OhmRGB > Matrix, Mixer & Effects
Then set the Ohm’s MIDI input and output from the Duplex browser

Note: this is based on the existing Ohm64 config. Which means, all mappings are factory defaults and it expects buttons to transmit a CC value of “64”. So, if your unit is configured differently, it will not work. But if we’re lucky, it should :slight_smile:

ohmrgb.png?raw=1

The colors have been specified in the configurationfile:
Duplex/Controllers/OhmRGB/Configurations/MixerMatrixEffects.lua

It’s easy to change - just a basic palette containingRGB values

-- pattern matrix

out_of_bounds = { color={0x00,0x00,0x00}},
slot_empty = { color={0x00,0x00,0x00}},
slot_empty_muted = { color={0x00,0x00,0x00}},
slot_filled = { color={0xff,0xff,0x00}},
slot_filled_muted = { color={0xff,0x00,0x00}},
slot_master_filled = { color={0xff,0xff,0x00}},
slot_master_empty = { color={0xff,0x00,0x00}},

-- pattern sequence (buttonstrip)

trigger_active = { color={0xff,0xff,0xff}},
trigger_loop = { color={0x00,0xff,0xff}},
trigger_back = { color={0x00,0x00,0x00}},

It works!

However, I wasn’t able to find the .lua file, neither in Mavericks nor in Windows 7. Where is the Duplex folder located?

I’d love to see the Ohm64 Switch working with colors, how can I help?

Where is the Duplex folder located?

Tools > Tool Browser > Duplex > (Rightclick) > Reveal in Explorer/Finder

I’d love to see the Ohm64 Switch working with colors, how can I help?

You mean, the Ohm64 “Switch” configuration? There is an absolutely minimal difference between the normal and the switch configurations.

Try loading each one and compare them, side-by-side, you will an additional “SwitchConfiguration” entry

Normal config:https://xrnx.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/Tools/com.renoise.Duplex.xrnx/Duplex/Controllers/Ohm64/Configurations/MixerMatrixEffects.lua

Switch config: https://xrnx.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/Tools/com.renoise.Duplex.xrnx/Duplex/Controllers/Ohm64/Configurations/MixerMatrixEffectsSwitch.lua

Note: switching mappings can now be done in a much more powerful fashion with a new feature called States - but it’s yet to be applied to thesedevice configurations.

I would like to create one such configuration for the OhmRGB though, especially since you can help testing…

I did find the folder now, and I was able to replace the files with the ones you posted.

When I use the new Ohm64 or Ohm64 switch, it works as usual but there are no colors., only amber.

When I use the OhmRGB, there are colors, but the Start/Stop Livid button doesn’t work, neither that button lights up when I send the command using the spacebar…

I’m sorry.

I have to test it further, even though there aren’t any colors on Ohm64 and Ohm64 switch, OhmRGB seems to work fine regarding the Start/stop

I am trying to test it both in Win7 and Mavericks, so take this into account…

Hey, the “switch” in the name simply implies that a certain application called “SwitchConfiguration” has been added to the configuration.

That makes it possible to switch to the next or previous configuration, but you will be “stranded there” if that configuration does not feature any such switch.

Frankly, this is a terrible workflow - you have to create and maintain many different device configurations, just for the sake of doing a little bit of switching. I linked to those device configuration just to show you how it was done, and even if they work with the OhmRGB I wouldn’t recommend using them.

Instead, I propose that the OhmRGB use a new approach called ‘states’. Give me a little time and I will be able to make something useful. It has the promise of consolidating everything into just a single “über”-configuration

In the meantime, we need to figure this out:

When I use the OhmRGB, there are colors, but the Start/Stop Livid button doesn’t work

OhmRGB seems to work fine regarding the Start/stop

So…working or not working?

And forget the “switch” configs, we have just one OhmRGB config so far…

I’m sorry, the OhmRGB Play/stop does not work, the Ohm64 and Ohm64 switch are the ones which do work

I will wait for the ‘states’ then. Should we work only on the new OhmRGB configuration then?