Duplex: Is It Possible To Select Effect?

In the default BCR2000 Duplex preset, the effect parameters are mapped to the dial controls. The mapping follows the currently selected track effect.
So one has to use the mouse or keyboard to switch to a specific track and then select the desired effect to get the effect mapping.
Is it possible to change this behavior in a way, that one can explicitly select the track (for example with button group 2 instead of using solo mode) and use a paging to switch through the track effects?

If you may lose both Mute and Solo functions, it’s possible currently.

For example;
Button group 1 << TrackSelector
Button group 2 << Device Selector
I can help if it’s needed right now.

But maybe you had better wait for the next Duplex release in the near future.
It has more options for the Effect app.
(There is the option which assigns knobs to DSP’s mini-sliders shown in the Mixer window)

For now i don’t need the solo track function and the main dial encoders of the BCR2000 are push encoders too, which could be utilized for the track select.
I’ll give it a try but unfortunately there isn’t much duplex documentation, so a few hints on how to accomplish this would be great…

I’m putting some finishing touches on the next Duplex release, and as satobox points out, you’ll have the existing functionality as well as the ability to include only those parameters which are visible in the mixer, or automated.

This makes it possible to determine exactly which parameters you want to put on your controller, on a per-track basis instead of a per-device setting. And the best thing is, that these mixer parameter settings are saved along with the song :slight_smile:

Can you test this?

1831 BCR-2000.zip

• download and unzip this new “BCR-2000” file

• Click [Help] >> [Show the Preferences Folder…] menu and open
    \Scripts\Tools\com.renoise.Duplex.xrnx\Duplex\Controllers\

• remove the default “BCR-2000” folder and put the new “BCR-2000” folder instead:

• Also download the “TrackSelector.lua” and put it to:
    \Scripts\Tools\com.renoise.Duplex.xrnx\Duplex\Applications\

• Restart Renoise

But again, you had better use the next upcoming Duplex version since it includes TrackSelector app by default and has more options for Effect app.

@danoise (and Taktik)
I’ve edited Taktik’s original map because it didn’t have the “push encoder” function.
Maybe it make sense a bit more, doesn’t it? :huh:

awesome, i’m looking forward to see the next release! :)

in the mean time i try the version from satobox:

The link to TrackSelector.lua you provided doesn’t work but i found another post from you with a link which worked…
I tried it and it seems to work - except one misbehavior: the dial encoders are mapped to the first eight tracks only, even if i skip through the tracks with the paging buttons… For example: page one step right (means tracks 9 to 16). pushing the first encoder selects track 9 correctly. but moving the first encoder dial the volumen of track 1 gets altered. also the LEDs of the encoder buttons are representing the values from the first eight tracks…
nevertheless, nice work so far - thanks ;)

Ah sorry I forgot to mention about it.
You can change the behavior by setting realtime option.
In this case, choose “enable” at;
[Settings] panel >> [Mixer] >> “Follow track”
I think it will work. ;)

Thanks, that does the magic :D

Hi, me again ;)

Now another similar question regarding mapping of effects: is it possible to map a specific device to a specific control with duplex too or has that to be done with normal MIDI mappings?
The drawback with normal MIDI mappings is that they aren’t two way (no parameter feedback, or am i wrong?)…

Now, mapping a specific device to a specific control control is actually a pretty good description of what the Effect app is doing… so, if I understand you, you mean to have “select device” buttons available only for some devices, across tracks? Well, unless you jump through a few hoops, the Effect app will include all devices for a single track, and I’m guessing this is not what you want.

Again, the newly introduced “visible in mixer” modes might come in handy, let me explain how it could work…

My personal workflow involves gathering the devices I wish to control in a special “performance” track - if the actual device is located in a different track than this, I can simply add a hydra device so I can “remote control” it anyway. Then, I select the “show only parameters which are visible in the mixer” option for the Duplex Effect app, which will filter out any devices parameters that I’m not interested in.

Et voilá - the result is a single view with multiple devices, but featuring only the parameters that are relevant to what I’m doing in that particular song. I don’t even have the need to select devices anymore, as they are all combined into this single view (and if there’s too many parameters to fit on a visible page, it’s possible to scroll through them)

I’m sorry if this is irrelevant information for you, but the Effect application is not a 1:1 of how the traditional Renoise MIDI mapping works. Maybe you want to achieve something entirely different?

1 Like

Hi danoise, thank you for this tip.
This could be a quick workaround - but with two major disadvantages: first (as you said) you have to put and connect a hydra device for every device on another track, and second the controlled parameters are automatically bound to the “next free controller”. That can be very confusing for example if you have a 8x3 dial matrix controlling 14 different parameters of 8 different effect devices and then want to insert another controlled parameter, the whole mapping layout gets shifted… Or in other words: you cannot map parameters to specific dials, so that it would be easier to recognize and remember the mapped effect/parameter…

After playing around with Duplex for the last 4 weeks i must say that it is an absolute awesome killer tool, especially with Novation Launchpad and the Matrix/Transport feature. But regarding Effects in my opinion it seems that it could be much more efficient (especially for live sets…) if one has the possibility to freely map individual knobs/faders/dials to specific effect parameters like the normal midi mapping but WITH the full duplex parameter feedback…

IMHO, this is both good and bad. Bad for the reasons you mention (“my stuff just got shifted, so where did this parameter now go?”), but good when you view the Effect application as a representation of Renoise’s internal state. The Effect application does all of it’s work “through” Renoise, with devices always appearing in the same order as in Renoise etc…This doesn’t leave much room for customizing things on the controller, but remember that you can still customize things in Renoise? After all, with the “hydra acting as remote-control” workaround, you are free to decide exactly how devices are laid out - including which order they should appear in. It’s simply a matter of dragging the device to a new location.

Also, this sort of approach free us from having to save extra data along with each song - something that we’ve avoided so far with all the central Duplex applications. Technically, we would have to create a little extra “sidecar” file which is saved in the same location as the song - a bit like how Beatslaughter’s Mixer Utilities work.

@ NoMad: continuing this little exchange of ideas:
One thing I didn’t get around to on the last update: the device selector buttons are currently not having any effect when we are combining devices into a single page by means of the “show automated/visible parameters” option. You can press the button, but nothing actually happens.
It would make a lot more sense if pushing one of these buttons would bring the selected device’s parameters to the top (automatically scrolling down the list of parameters until we reach the ones that belong to the device).

Also, it was suggested that we get a “select previous/next device”, which makes perfect sense too. I guess none of these ideas will bring the functionality you requested, but I think that each step still get us closer to controlling devices the way we want it.

That makes perfect sense and is an important feature that i don’t wanna miss too…
I think these are two approaches which are a bit contrary…
Perhaps it would solve the problem if the normal MIDI mappings can be enhanced to support those Duplex features like parameter feedback etc… and could be used simultaneously with Duplex on the same device…

However, perhaps it is somehow possible, but it is still a workaround… take the 8x3 dial controller example again and say you want to map the first three dials in row 1 and the first three in row 2, then you have to turn on 5 dummy parameters/effects to shift the second triple of controlled parameters into row 2…
Bahh, i don’t want to be so fussy ;) i’ll have to give it a try and see if i can live with that…

thats indeed a point, i have never thought about that…
But where does Duplex stores it’s Application settings? These are stored, aren’t they?

Absolutely, this would make a lot of sense. It’s a bit frustrating that you can’t combine the Duplex approach with Renoise’s built-in mapping system. I think the most simple solution would be that the Renoise API was able to process messages (so tools like Duplex could benefit from them), but then discard the message afterwards, so it wasn’t picked up by Renoise itself. Then you could map, say, half of the controls with Duplex and leave the rest untouched. Let’s hear what the rest of the team have to say about this?

Yes, they are. Duplex is using the Renoise API to save it’s settings - like the port names of the device, and which options are enabled for each application - basically, everything you see in the Duplex settings dialog. There’s a file named “preferences.xml” in the tool folder which contain all this information. More features will eventually be covered, like which mappings are specified for a given device/application combination, but this will also require a pretty sophisticated GUI to back it up, so that one is still on the drawing board for now

Yep, i think that’s the way to go…
In Duplex one can already change the controller scheme, so that only a particular subset of the physical controller is used (i’ve done this e.g. to control two different instances of Renoise with one Launchpad). If one could now tell Renoise to ignore those MIDI signals (like a MIDI input filter…), the rest could be mapped normally without influencing each other…
Absolutely awesome (but sadly dream of the future) would be a possibility to map/layout the controlled knobs/dials/faders/etc. in graphical editor from within Renoise, let us say a kind of “graphical MIDI mapping/routing”-thing. Then one could directly select whether a control is routed through Duplex or normal Renoise mapping…

Another question i have - although it’s a bit off topic, but refers to MIDI mapping and Duplex:
I have a sample-bank (Drumkit instrument with a lot of different sounds/vocals/effects) which i want to trigger by MIDI-Notes and i don’t want to use a big MIDI keyboard. Instead i’d like to use one row of my Novation Launchpad to trigger samples. I’ve read somewhere in the forum that Duplex can’t trigger samples directly, right? I tried to change the controller scheme so that one row is ignored by Duplex and used the Launchpad also as a MIDI input device in Renoise, which i can bind to the desired instrument. But there are two drawbacks: first, as mentioned above, the controls used by Duplex aren’t ignored (i think, there isn’t a workaround at this time, isn’t it?) and second i don’t know a way how i can utilize two of the 8 buttons for switching the sample “offset”, means how i can “page” through the Drumkit so that all samples can be played with 6 Buttons (plus 2 for the paging)… Is there some way to achieve this? Would be nice…
(If it takes a longer response i can move this to another thread…)

Thanks so far :)

That’s right.

No, there isn’t a fully native solution to this - but you can still use some sort of external MIDI utility to filter out the unwanted notes or cc messages before they arrive to Renoise, and you should be just fine.

This helped me a lot, decennium bumping or not, thanks man!