E-mu 1616m Problem: No Asio Driver Error

I just got an E-MU 1616m and I really like what I’m hearing in terms of sound quality, but for some reason I can only use DirectSound drivers. When I choose E-MU ASIO all I get is a message on the status bar saying: No ASIO Driver Error, which is weird as I managed to use the ASIO driver in energyXT standalone.

Am I doing something wrong with the PatchMix or am I back in the Creative land where ASIO drivers suck and only DirectSound is useful in Renoise? It was surely like that with my old SBLive in the old days…

My another question is latency. In the hosts I managed to use ASIO drivers, 256 samples is barely usable as I get crackles. I have to switch to 512 or even 1024 to get stable playback. I would probably not complain about it if not for the M-Audio Firewire Audiophile I had before that could handle the same projects at 256 samples latency.

Again, am I doing something wrong with the setup or does it indicate some conflicts/incompatibilities with my laptop? After all, Cardbus is supposed to give the lowest latencies. Are there any tweaks that have to be done to make it work at low latencies?

1616(m) users - help! :(

Ok, E-MU ASIO seems to work now in Renoise.

Just for the record: Restore Defaults did the trick. Might be that it always has to be done after installing drivers/firmware as I didn’t make a configuration mess yet when the problem occured.

Crackless latencies range from 3ms (~128 samples @ 44100) at CPU loads below 30% to 20ms (~1024 samples) at 90% and above, which is about the same I had with the M-Audio FW Audiophile. Not bad, I’m starting to really like this E-MU thing! :)

One suggestion emu uses hw accelatrion at 48 khz when it come to asio. Use 48 khz if possible and resample everything after you did the final mix to 44.1 using an optional audio editor

Don’t you want to not use hardware acceleration if at all possible? That advive goes against just about everything I’ve heard before (as far as general rules are concerned.)

Does the 1616m work at 48kHz internally, like SBLive did? Then it would make sense to work at 48kHz as it would take the 44.1->48->44.1 resampling overhead out. This sort of ‘hardware accelleration’ could make some sense I guess… I’ll have to make some experiments and see how switching to 48kHz will affect latencies. Thanks for the tip!