Energy Xt - How Can You Controll Synths Via Midi?

Hi,

After allmost endless googling i’ve been trying to wrap my mind around this… Some people say they use energy xt to overcome the need for standard midi view in renoise but how can you really controll a hardware synthesizer or any synth outside the energy xt with it?

Can the midi note data from energy xt be somehow sent to a midi output for example?

To use an external synth get the “midibag” from tobybear and use the included VST2MID Plugin, does exactly what you need.

http://www.tobybear.de/p_midibag.html

edit: actually i’ll try to google some more and post questions if i still don’t get it to work :)

okay must admit that I don’t get this to work at all… Um could you give some sort of advice on how to connect the outputs? If I want the sequencer to send data to the mid2vst then where should the mid2vst be inserted?? I can’t open the GUI for mid2vst if its inserted on a midi track and connecting the sequencers midi output to the mid2vst seems to do nothing.

Also is it possible to record chords into the energy xt using midi keyboard?

You dont use VST2MID inside the sequencer, you need to connect the sequencer with the VST.

Brown “cables” are for MIDI, blue for audio (so you probably don’t need to connect them for this plugin).

Doubleclick the VST2MID Plugin to select your Output port, inside the Sequencer you should use external sync

and make sure the MIDI track(s) send their data to the MIDI-Out of the sequencer (and from there to MID2VST)

Note that this way the timeline inside the energy-sequencer is connected to your renoise-song, if you insert/delete patterns you need to change your structure inside the XT-Sequencer too.

Actually I can’t test this because I don’t have external gear in my studio (where I am not at anyway, I am away for the weekend), but am pretty confident this should work. And I know that energy is quite hard to learn, I don’t know very much about it myself because I mainly use it as an elegant way to use long WAV-Samples (Vocals etc.) and plan to work on a way to use Multi-Out-VSTs (Battery) with this.

Hi,

and many thanks for the thorough tutorial :)

I had actually made the connections just as described above but energy xt somehow cannot send the mididata to the midi out even if it’s selected in the vst2mid…

Seems to be some problems still with the energy xt. I had also tested this before without sending real midi.
Anyhow the concept seems alright… :) sadly not yet ready for music making. Gotta register myself to the energy xt forums and see if someone has managed to make this work.

Mhh, thats really strange. I am currently using a rather similar setup for a technical project of mine, trying to use a joypad as midi-controller (but much more sophisticated then on/off), for that I had to get the MIDI-Timing-Data from Ableton to the stand-alone version of reaktor and then back into Live, and it does work that way … But ofcourse in Live, not Renoise …

So, does nothing at all happen ? Maybe try a program like midi-ox to see what/if something gets trough. And have you tried to use the pattern of renoise ? Like, setup Energy as explained above and enter some notes in the renoise-pattern, those notes should be patched trough energy to VST2MID. Or enter some notes in the sequencer and connect to a VSTi to see if the problem is somehwhere in that vincinity …

Yeah. It works with VST instruments really well and the notes play back fine, but not with my Virus TI… well gotta do some testing with this… thnx. for the help, now i know that the prob is not with the settings i’ve already made…

[quote="#<0x000056284f7f6548>, post:9, topic:19453"]

Yeah. It works with VST instruments really well and the notes play back fine, but not with my Virus TI… well gotta do some testing with this… thnx. for the help, now i know that the prob is not with the settings i’ve already made…
[/quote]

Yeah nothing goes thru… not sure if this is because of energy xt or renoise… seems like one of them somehow steals the midi output from the other. :confused: Tested this using multiple midi outs that work ok when played via renoise.</0x000056284f7f6548>

Hmmh this is getting even more interesting :) Using a midiyoke channel as output on XT and as input on Renoise I can send midi from Energy XT to a Renoise Channel…

The midi is traslated fine this way. Somekind of way to send the data from midiyoke input 1 to VirusTI midi output would be needed…

if you know any then any help would be really much appreciated :) It looks like the Energy XT does nothing buggy and ugly if not using the real midi outputs and inputs and maybe there is hope for this afterall…

[quote="#<0x0000562853a76c60>, post:11, topic:19453"]

Hmmh this is getting even more interesting :) Using a midiyoke channel as output on XT and as input on Renoise I can send midi from Energy XT to a Renoise Channel…

The midi is traslated fine this way. Somekind of way to send the data from midiyoke input 1 to VirusTI midi output would be needed…

if you know any then any help would be really much appreciated :) It looks like the Energy XT does nothing buggy and ugly if not using the real midi outputs and inputs and maybe there is hope for this afterall…
[/quote]

Hi once again :) Managed to get this stuff working via midiox…

AWW THE BLISS MAN ;)

Sorry if i posted zillions of questions on this but this was really one of the most fundamental parts to get to function for me…

Now ALL automation data can be recorded LIVE to the song, and edited using MIDI :):slight_smile::):slight_smile::):slight_smile::):slight_smile:

Aww… :) Can’t think of the possibilities…</0x0000562853a76c60>

I am glad you got it worked out ! Now go rock ! :D

And please be aware that you are now some kind of wizard on this board in this matter, so if other people come around having these problems you can help’em. It’s good to see renoise expand in different directions and problems like this getting solved.