Energyxt V1.4 Vst Crashes Renoise.

hello. i use energyxt vsti in renoise. unfortunately energyxt crashes renoise:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15962615/renoisecrash.png

the crash happens when i close renoise or when i load another song. this happens for a long time now…its not something new in renoise 1.8

energyxt 1.4 is discontinued. is there anything that can be done to fix this ?

Hi,

I’m not a heavy energyXT user though…,

Are you using “Beta 24-sept-06: energyXT.zip” on this page ?
http://www.xt-hq.com/download/

Just tested it a bit here, and it seems that I have to start Renoise 2.8 by “Run As Admin”. But except it, eXT 1.4 works fine here. (Win Vista 32bit)
Have you already tried “Run As Admin” ? (What OS are you using btw?)

If you’ve already tried to do so, I guess that the cause of your crash is due to an other reason, for example, specific VST or specific song (or eXT 1.4 itself). :huh:

hello. thank you for trying to help. yes i am using the latest v1 energyxt. im running renoise as admin in win7 64 bits… this problem also ocurred in windows xp 32 bit - i see this issue happening for 5 or 6 years now :confused:

Hmm, on Win Vista 32bit, I can reproduce appearing the same warning message easily, when I start Renoise without admin rights and use the eXT’s sequencer module, then close Renoise.
But it never appear when I start Renoise with admin rights. :unsure:

Also, actually Renoise never crash even if the warning message appears. Only when I tried to use Plugin Bridge, everytime Renoise’s Plugin Server stopped and sometimes I experienced crashing Renoise (only when without admin rights. With admin rights, all works fine here).

So, I guess this is a problem related to UAC or user rights. You had better double-check the security stuff like described in this thread anyhow.

Also, this is definitely the old bug in the eXT 1.4, even eXT 2.x works fine in all case, doesn’t it?? So I think that Renoise devs cannot do anything about it.
Well, I understand the reason why you are still useing eXT 1.4 to some extent, however, hadn’t you better graduate from the old version soon? :huh: I think it’s a bit dangerous to use eXT 1.4 through the Plugin Bridge system.

i have this crash for years now. even when i was with windows XP (wich doesnt have uac)…and my user is always set to be an admin…i’ll triple check though.

edit: checked.

if i add a sequencer module in renoise and then close it, no error msg is displayed. wich means that i have no user rights issues.

i guess its some plugin(s) that i sub host in energyxt. ive never came to find out wich ones do it (it is more than one…im sure of that). it just happens sometimes. i think it is related with opening hosted vsts uis. since that if i just load a song…play it …and close renoise after that, it never crashes (im not 100% sure of this latest claim, though)

on another issue also related with energyxt vsti

if i start renoise 64 bits and load an old song using energyxt vsti (wich is 32bit), the project takes like 4 minutes to load in renoise (but everything works fine, after) …in renoise 32 it only takes 20 seconds (its still a bit too much but its undestandable since my songs use tons of ram\plugs) i guess this happens because energyxt is subhosting a ton of other 32bit plugins. is there any chance that this can be fixed ?

just a little more info: intel Q6660 @ 3.2Ghz \ 4 GB Ram \ Win7 64

Hmm, indeed it’s really complicated issue.

If I guess from your whole story, I also suspect that specific plug-in(s) is the cause, maybe.
However, there is too little information to judge so.

At least you have to do some boring testing by yourself (because anyone don’t have your “tons of plugs”),
for example;

• Check if you disable the VST folder path in the eXT’s preferences and load the troubled song (so, many “not found” messages open maybe, but you can confirm the rough loading time without many vsts)
  • Pull out each VST.dll which used in the troubled song one by one from your VST folder (temporary ofcourse), then compare each loading time of the song. Maybe can’t you suppose the “doubtful VST” in advance? (something old or huge one)

Also, I’m not sure that whether Renoise can take such long time for “Bit Bridging” energyXT and it’s child VSTs in 64bit OS. About this, I want a comment from Renoise devs too. Maybe bridging eXT VST needs some extra time, but 4 minutes is huge, I think. :rolleyes:

Well, imho though, I recommend you to keep using Renoise 32bit until eXT supports 64bit natively too, rather than carrying out such a bug chasing in the dark… ;)