Eq Being Retarded

Hey I’ve been having a really annoying problem with the EQ 10. When i move the second last fader (10000 Hz) up or down it moves the entire eq. Theres a few thing I can do to work around it but it doesn’t make any sense! Please help!

check the bandwidth. move the dot around a bit with right mouse button and see if that helps?
otherwise it’s a liiiiittle bit of a shame that you cannot switch individual bands on or off like in live or fl… but the eq works like anyone with brains would expect so that’s good value :D

tips working with EQ5 and EQ10 in graph mode:
right-mouse-button move: adjust Q/Bandwidth
move: move
alt-move: adjust frequency only (left to right)
shift-move: adjust gain only (up n down)
ctrl modifier: very small steps (adjust in fractions (1/10th or 1/16th or something) of normal steps)
use ctrl modifier in combination with what you see on the response already in the master spectrum field => profit

Hrm. I’m still having trouble but thanks for those tips ;)

The EQ in Renoise doesn’t seem to use oversampling, so there’s weird behaviour in the high frequencies.
You can use a VST, but this of course affects the workflow.
The problem has been pointed out years ago, so I wouldn’t hold my breath.

An EQ changes the spectral balance. Any change you do with an EQ affects the whole spectrum, in parts more and in parts less.

When your parameter changes on a single band affect the whole EQ display, it is very obvious you are using a way to wide Q factor. So, what CAS said, again: set a smaller Q factor. The Q factor defines the width/range of the EQ band you’re changing, in octaves. So, when your Q factor is set to 4, it affects 4 octaves, at the same time. No matter what you’ve done on other EQ bands within that range. EQ bands affect each other.

The problem doesn’t actually seem to be the EQ, but the simple fact you maybe do not have the basic knowledge about EQing yet. If so, there’s nothing wrong with this, but you really should not report this as a bug or support request then, because it’s not related to Renoise.

“I’m still having more trouble” is ‘a bit’ unprecise to talk about your problem in detail and none of us here is using a chrystal ball (I guess :D). Maybe you should upload an example XRNS and describe, what exactly you want to do. As long as you only provide unprecise information, you can only get unprecise answers.

I disagree. What he described doesn’t happen with all EQs.
There’s something called frequency warping that happens in digital EQs if nothing is done to counter it (oversampling, Orfanidis filters). This does something similar to lowering bandwidth at high frequencies. To me it seems that the EQ is overcompensating for this and makes the filter so broad that it ends up affecting the low frequencies.

It’s easy to replicate the problem, just set the frequency of any bell filter to the maximum when using the sample rate of 44100khz.
Using higher sample rates helps, if your sound card supports them (but there are reasons why you may not want to do that).

Completely wrong! Q Factor is inversely proportional to Bandwidth when measured in Octaves (N)

if you want the exact equation.

A bandwidth N of 4 will give you a Q of 0.2667
A Q of 4 will give you a bandwith N of 0.3597

Q stands for Quality. Higher Quality, the lesser the range which is going to be affected. Quite obvious really…

What he described first of all happens on the display, when I got his posting right. I can replicate what he described, when I cut with the highshelf at some midrange band and then boost with a Q2 bell on 20kHz. With other weird settings, that make no sense, it’s replicateable too. But still not on 10kHz.

Well, like I said. I don’t own or use a chrystal ball.

*ROFL :lol:

The Q settings in the Renoise EQ do exactly what I said. And they are even described that way in the manual. Indeed this is used and defined different in other EQs, but it’s not in Renoise.

“Completely wrong” :D Are you trying hard to compensate some complexes lately? :rolleyes:

Actually you’ll find they are called Q in the Filter device and correctly work with a higher number being a tighter band and are called Bandwidth in the EQs. Agreed that the manual does incorrectly name them in places though. Or at least it was in 2.7 don’t have it installed to check here. Or check what it’s called when reported from LUA.

Even so your description of Q is still incorrect. Best to point out the inaccuracies of the program and describe things correctly that to perpetuate fallacy.

Renoise EQ manual

“The frequencies to the left of the sliders are adjustable, as are the Qs (width of the bands) to the right.”…

Get of my nerves, really. The only thing you proved is, you obviously never used a Renoise EQ while knowing what you’re doing, because then you’d have known what I’m talking about.

We’re still on the Renoise forum and we’re talking about the Renoise EQs, right!? So when the manual calls these EQ settings Q, then it makes sense to keep it this way, when explaining things to someone. You might have gotten something wrong, when I told dblue I don’t care about theory too much. That doesn’t mean, I don’t know it, dude. So thanks for trying to teach me your wisdom, but you fataly failed. Again. :D Why don’t you just look out for some other kid to play with you? This one here doesn’t want to.

Can you not even read?

You really want it, huh? But it’s not gonna happen. :) You’re not important enough. Sorry. End of communication. ;)

Hahaha, you have me laughing here at my work desk. Thanks for making a boring Saturday in the office that little bit more bearable.

Good to see you finally laughing. :) I hope to you it was as funny, as to me finding out about someone with the tag “Probably More God or Borg Than Human Member”, who - after almost 7 years on the Renoise forum - has no fucking idea, how a native EQ works and proves it without knowing, while trying to look intelligent and competent. :D So, I really have to thank you for some good laughs, too. :lol: