"Exciter" is a registered Aphex Trademark

Like I said in topic. Devs might want to rename the Renoise DSP, before things could become expensive.

Cheers

“Aural Exciter” is a registered trademark. You need both words to be sued. As in, “Let’s get ready to rumble,” is a registered trademark. But I can name, “the next gas station I purchase, or pizza shop I open,” To Rumble, or Let’s Get Ready, and it would be a pretty hard lawsuit for the Trademark Holder to win.

( I have no plans for a pizza store, or gas station, ) Just an example…

I think it would be difficult for Aphex to successfully pursue any kind of action, even if they cared to.

An exciter is a generic term for an audio effect. It’s a descriptive trademark at best, and that makes it pretty weak.
And we’re talking about a single plugin within some music software. It’s not even a full blown VST being sold standalone.

Edit: Also what Daze said :P

please take these into consideration Renoise team before million dollar lawsuit hits;

brighter (dangerous as it is an english word!)
sparkle effect
ekseyeter
xsaiter
xsiter
ex’aighter

egg cider

Aphex is the origin inventor of the Exciter and gave it its name. The Term is even marked as trademark on their website.

Well, I’m for sure not gonna make this MY problem.

Have a Merry Christmas, peeps.

Hey thanx Bit_Arts well okay, let’s call it :

• exsighter

“more excited”

As 2 daze j has already pointed out to you Aural Exciter is a registered Trademark, Exciter on it’s own is not and probably would never be granted as one if anybody were to try.

Although this Predetermined Text clause does confuse me. Does that mean that if it modifies audio, which the one in Renoise obviously does as a DSP, then just Exciter is covered?

Not being a lawyer of any description I couldn’t say for sure… Harmonic Exciter and much similar is allowed though and often used by other companies.

See the (R) next to “EXCITER”? Again, the term “Exciter” has become common use for devices of that kind, because Aphex - as its inventor and long time manufacturer - named it that way.

I’m trying to prevent devs from problems here. And I doubt any lawyer is gonna care about what reasons someone on this forum pointed out, when things would become serious. Name the thing “Enhancer” and end of story.

You better warn Izotope and about a hundred other developers. :rolleyes:

Some things(?) never change. Do they? Be my guest. :rolleyes:

or “excitement lots”.

Personally I like; “Aphex Twinkle”.

Hey, you’re right!

AFAIK you can’t just trademark a single word, much less a word that was around before.

You can, but there is more to it than just the word, such as font, business represented, and geographic scope. If C&D is served I recommend calling it the “oral xciter.”

You mean like “Apple” for example can’t be a trademark?

The discussion is hilarious. Trademark law is not a matter of democratic voting. It’s kinda funny to watch people here clapping on each others shoulder for telling pseudo-knowledge, ignoring facts or simple trolling. Easy. You guys wouldn’t have to pay the bill, right!? The devs are hopefully more intelligent.

Exactly. The question is not, if “EXCITER” is a trademark, because it most obviously is, marked with the (R). The question is, is the plain word (as name of a audio device) a trademark or the word as a graphical logo only.

As I tried to imply but may have not been clear I think BitArt is actually likely right (admittedly in my edit but it is in the bit he quoted of mine.) The full term Aural Exciter is trademarked but the Aural part is implied in anything which modifies audio and thus does not have to be explicitly written. So you could call a battery powered dildo a Exciter without breaking Aphex’s Trademark (but you still couldn’t call it a Aural Exciter) but for DSPs it’s a different story.

Think it’s the same with Apple. Only applies to “computers, computer software, computer peripherals, etc.” (from their own website). I have to admit I don’t fully understand it though… You can find a Trademark for Apple (just the word) for a book publishing company, nothing to do with Apple Inc. But if you check Apple’s trademarks it seems to imply they are typeset trademarked (eg font, colour etc do make a difference) whereas the Aural Exciter one isn’t. I guess that might be why there is no “Predetermined Text” statement alongside it…

Two can play the name calling game, so don’t go there please.
Ignorance is the norm so if you’re going to get personal because of a forum discussion you’re going to develop an ulcer fast.

Just call it the ReCiter and get on with it ;)