Executing renoise from everywhere / Linux

Stupid question: Renoise is located in ~/rns_3_1_1_linux_x86_64 on my system. I can execute it with ./renoise while being in that path. But how can I execute it from everywhere with just the command renoise? I tried to include the folder in my path variables, but it doesn’t work.

I think you should be able to link the renoise executable to /usr/{local/}bin. Otherwise just install it with the script? It’s puts everything here (so again you could link the one in your home):

/usr/local/bin/renoise
/usr/local/bin/renoise-3.1.1
/usr/local/share/renoise-3.1.1
/usr/local/share/man/man1/renoise.1.gz
/usr/local/share/man/man5/renoise-pattern-effects.5.gz
/usr/local/share/renoise-3.1.1/AudioPluginServer_x86
/usr/local/share/renoise-3.1.1/AudioPluginServer_x86_64
/usr/local/share/renoise-3.1.1/CachedDSSIs_Linux_x64.db.in
/usr/local/share/renoise-3.1.1/CachedLADSPAs_Linux_x64.db.in
/usr/local/share/renoise-3.1.1/CachedVSTs_Linux_x64.db.in
/usr/local/share/renoise-3.1.1/Installer
/usr/local/share/renoise-3.1.1/Library
etc
1 Like

I’ll mention that I have Renoise in a custom path…it seems to work here.

1 Like

Ups … I didn’t have it installed obviously :grimacing: … But still it should work the other way around.

I did again:

export PATH="$PATH:/home/marco/rns_3_1_1_linux_x86_64"

and now it works :face_with_raised_eyebrow: Maybe I did something wrong or there was a typo.

Guess I have to make the change it permanent. Thanks!

2 Likes

I use two different ways :

1. If you want to run renoise from a terminal, you can just create an alias in your ~/.bashrc or ~/.zshrc (depending if you use bash or zsh or whatever) :
    alias renoise=’ ~/rns_3_1_1_linux_x86_64/renoise’

2. i prefer running renoise and other software using shortcuts. To do that i always use xbindkeys which is run at the startup. You can configure your keyboard shortcut in your ~/.xbindkeysrc :
    “~/rns_3_1_1_linux_x86_64/renoise”
    control+alt+r

2 Likes

Great. Exactly the thing I was looking for.