Expanded LFO for audio range

What I sometimes do is render an empty pattern tosample , then draw some curves like this , place the sample in the pattern and use it as an exciter , amplitude contour for ring mod
Using 10 of those (poly limit for instrument) , you can get some nice additive synthesis , using the ring mod as a partial generator , and the drawn curves as amplitudes for those partials

5 Likes

Awesome! I’m still waiting to get behind the wheel again. Soon!

That’s tight. I’m gonna try that!

Some additive synthesis using ring mod
Sign Of the Sinesss.xrni (2.8 MB)

3 Likes

Nice!! @gentleclockdivider This is a really good sounding pulse-based instrument!

Added a macro knob for note operand on mod-9 to adjust the
siren sound. Thanks for sharing, good thing to learn from.

Can i use this?

What do you mean by pulse based ?
The samples are bassically dc waves (+1 bias only ) , they produce no sound at all
They are merely used to trigger the ringmod

Here are some othe instruments I created long time ago
An 808 style drumkit , no samples used besides noise , some formant saws , and windowed sync
808.2 synthesis.xrni (670.1 KB) FORMANLIKE3.xrni (586.1 KB) window sync 2.xrni (540.4 KB) windowing fractalize.xrni (83.9 KB)

5 Likes

these are all very interesting, thanks for sharing. I’ve done some modal synthesis using keytracked tuned filterbanks similar to your FORMANLIKE3 instrument. Some nice quasi-physical modeling to be had there.

I never thought to use a dc wave with the AM filters. makes perfect sense… Thanks for that

here are a couple of the modal synths if anyone wants to check em out: GRAVITY TONGUE.xrni (5.9 KB) rombus.xrni (7.8 KB)

4 Likes

Awesome instruments, thank you @slujr :+1:

That first one sounds so great at every octave …especially C-0!!

Also enjoy the second one for shorter notes because of the way
the cutoff modulation is working, get alot of tones on note-off here.

Clever stuff.

1 Like

Good stuff!

1 Like

I haven’t messed around with synthesis in terms of single cycle waveforms in Renoise, but for example Synthmaster 2.9 has a VST effect plug in version of itself - would a VST plug-in unlock audio rate LFOs in the signal chain? Might a resource drain though.

1 Like

Maybe - somebody else mentioned an LFO VST earlier.

The thing is, I can’t enjoy VST/Audio Unit plugins in Renoise, they feel mid-matched, even with the native UI. Every time I’ve used plugins in Renoise, it just feels ‘wrong’. Yeah, I’m picky.

Renoise in and of itself, for me, is perfect. I don’t make typical music in Renoise, so I’ll ask for more modulation/FX from time to time :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Yeah I completely understand what you mean, was just offering my 2c.

1 Like

This thread has some great content. Keeping with the topic, I have even requested this very feature in one of the feature requests threads.

I would love to see more native options in Renoise, for all sorts of things (except a damn piano-roll lol).

Lately I have taken the “toolbox” analogy deeper in Renoise’s case. I think of Renoise as the Workshop, all the VST Plugins are the “tools” in the “bag.” If Renoise can’t quite do something, I “walk across the hall” to another Workshop (REAPER, SunVox, Virtual-ANS, SoundArt, SoundShaper, Blip, Ambient, GranuLab, PaulStretch, SoundGrain, PureData, maybe a VST as a Standalone version) and work there.

Still wokring on workflow, but digitally it really is pretty easy to just go to another Workshop. Now, if my primary Workshop (Renoise) get’s upgraded with some new equipment, that’s awesome. Until then, I’m sure I can find a way to get the sound I want made and into Renoise (Renoise is a Sampler at heart, after all). Also, while the initial learning curve for many of these tools can be a bit much, the learning process stimulates my brain, which is ultimately good. I often find myself looking at doing things in Renoise differently by doing them outside the “box.”

TL;DR: I also would like to see this implemented, but I’ll find a way until then.

4 Likes

I tried messing with this. The problem I see is that while the signal does oscillate somewhat it’s a pretty shallow throw. I’m hoping maybe there is a way to use the formula device to multiply the size of the signal throw so the highs and lows of the wave have a larger effect on the selected parameter.

Word! Renoise is my all time favorite computer music playground. I interact with it completely differently than every other daw I’ve messed with. It’s addicting!

it’s a pretty shallow throw

did you try adjusting the sensitivity on the signal follower? I was able to get a usable modulation depth by tweaking this

1 Like

Yeah. You must have found the sweet spot. I was only getting about 25% throw at Max. Maybe I need to tweak the gain of the modulating signal for maximum peaks. What was your signal follower settings?

ah, actually take the release time on the signal follower down. sensitivity around 75% and release time nil gives me full range on a dc wave w sine am filter

2 Likes

That makes perfect sense! If the release time is too long the wave cycle never gets to a low enough point. Nice.

1 Like