Experiment: Use Midi Knob To Set Loop Markers

ha, this was a fun lil thing! :DDD thanks!

i don’t quite get one thing though… what is the purpose of the midiCC (the second device in the example file) which is automated in the second pattern?

i doesn’t seem to do anything at all. however, the first device does work as expected when i pull the two first sliders.

before it says the script is installed, I get:
[i]
"The following tools have been disabled, because they are not compatible with this version of Renoise:

com.renoise.LiveLooper

Please download the latest version of the tools from http://tools.renoise.com or contact the authors of the tools for assistance./"[/i]

I’m on 2.7.2 btw, running the looper.xrns and playing it, doesn’t seem to work. The loopmarkers don’t move.

I also am in 2.7.2 running he looper.xrns as downloaded, and the loopmarkers are not moving.

Any info on this?

have you tried using this? http://tools.renoise.com/tools/musical-programming-environment

Hi, I was just wondering, how could this knowledge of being able to automate an api function be used in other scripts, it-alien?

unfortunately some API’s I have used in this script have been deprecated, that’s why the script is not working and should be rewrited from scratch, I think.

in 2.8, the instrument envelope points have also been made editable using the API so this may be another idea for a script; see for example MXB library

The midi instrument device has been relocated to: Audio/Effects/Native/*Instr. Automation
Your old reference no longer fits.
Then there is something with the parameter value calculation for the loop start and loop end which has to be redone, but furthermore it seems to work and respond. If i quote out the + 1 in line 30, i see the start node moving when moving the parameter. Not in perfect scale, but it moves.
But your script isn’t really neatly indented, so this rework from scratch doesn’t sound like a bad idea.

Not “Audio/Effects/Native/*Instr. MIDI Control” ??

Nopes, not in 2.8, i have copy/pasted the complete wrong path from the oprint i used in the terminal output frame.
Ah… i see what you mean, sorry, you are right…

hi there, i hate to sound like a dope but im new to this renoise…i downloaded the looper and i understand the concept of moving the sliders(end point) around to glitch out the drum loop…but im abit lost on how to link it to the sliders/automation…the sliders move but ther not actually moving the end marker

The script has not been updated for 2.8 yet so yes the sliders move, but a device that has been renamed in the latest Renoise version is being altered.
It doesn’t fire an error, but it doesn’t do anything either.

the script has been updated to work in Renoise 2.8: download here

wow AWESOME!!

however I got this message while messing around with it

std::runtime_error: ‘notifier feedback loop detected. do not change values you are listening to within your notifiers.’
stack traceback:
[C]: ?
[C]: in function ‘__newindex’
[string “do…”]:22: in function <[string “do…”]:11>
main.lua:55: in function ‘set_loop_end’
main.lua:174: in function main.lua:173
[C]: ?
[C]: in function ‘__newindex’
[string “do…”]:22: in function <[string “do…”]:11>
main.lua:30: in function ‘set_loop_start’
main.lua:168: in function main.lua:167

I’ve had that same message a couple of times too - I think it’s happening when the end point is automated so it ends up before the start point, but I’ve not looked into it in enough detail. (Renoise 2.8 64bit version, Mac 10.6.8.)

It would be really good if this example song had a tooltip on opening to explain how to use it. Every time I want to use this tool I have to come back to the forum to find out how to do it

Just wanted to update that I’m using this in 3.1 and it’s working fine! Awesome!

Is it possible to have 2 looper destinations or more? Love this btw, just discovered it, was really much needed!

Automating “Sample Start” out of the question since there is no actual start marker?

Can we automate slicer markers?

Real-time cross fading impossible???

@taktik This would be handy to have as part of the sampler’s modulation functions via LFO, or otherwise. Currently, this is a lot of work, but it’s exactly what I’ve been trying to construct via devices and failing :smiley:

Are ppl still using this script for this purpose? I am and it works great, but more than one looper destinattioin would be cool. Any update on this?