Experiment: Use Midi Knob To Set Loop Markers

No but it would be possible to code a snap to 1/Xth of the sample (1/4, 1/8, 1/16 etc) by taking the sample and then diving total samples by that and having the range also also snap to that.

Not very well described and may be a messy way of doing it but hope you understand what I mean.

it is something similar to this other experiment which uses MIDI switches (buttons) to set loop markers to quarters of sample

Automating the loop points is something I’ve wanted for a while, it’s really easy to do this in Abletons “Simpler” sampler and assign to a knob on a midi controller and get some really cool effects… This seems a bit convoluted to set up though??

Something else I’d like to be able to do is automate envelopes in the instrument editor - I realise this would be more complicated to develop, but it’d be good to at least change between envelope presets using a pattern effect command.

im working on a script for assigning the loop point to any automatable parameter in the device-section…
right now im only working on implementing a gui to select the parameters + the sample to manipulate-- the core stuff is done already.

so automation is working, only downside is that it floods the undo/redo list with the changes + its not possible to include these changes in the rendering…

I’ve just got my hands on a USB Jog-Shuttle (but the older 13-button version) and I would be quite keen on getting this to work with fine/coarse loop points and possibly sample triggers. What are my chances like if I were to modify the script?

Hey, IT, it’s rocking good starting. Add some simple interpolation for the loop point movements and it’s almost done! I’d add a couple of param: global offset, loop size. And when end is less than start loop becomes backward-type. Then you just don’t need to buy an AKAI MPC to become Chemical Brothers :)

I will be quite busy these days, anyway I will do my best to use this concept to make a tool which changes loop markers using a DSP slider. It shouldn’t be hard to merge the two ideas, but my spare time will be really equal to zero until weekend comes.

voilà,

with this script you will be able to use sliders (then tracking commands, automation or MIDI Control Changes) to modify the sample loop markers position on a sample.

looper script: 3146 com.renoise.LiveLooper_Rns280_V0.12.xrnx

example song: 3147 looper.xrns

use the first two sliders of the MidiCcDevice in the master channel to set sample loop start and end.

in any existing song, you have to rename the instrument you want to control as “Looper” and the sample inside it as “Looper destination”. If a MidiCcDevice will not be present in the master track, it will be automatically created, otherwise the first found will be used. (Usually you don’t add any MidiCcDevice to the master track, so it should not be a problem)

:eek: :ph34r: :drummer: :ph34r: :eek:

OMG! This is a totally awesome! Works like a charm!!

booooyyyyyaaa!

oh my:

cutting away your patterncommands on the master channel in the pattern editor & randomizing the start & end loop points in the automation editor FTW!!! Especially after programming some melody and when you use the custom wave generator to produce a .wav instead of the beat sample :) . Great glitcher, for precise looppoints in beats we need more ability to finetune.

This is Marvelous.

thanks, i just gotta give this a shot!!
(tries)
works like a charm! lovely…

This tool got me thinking that this way it may be also possible to create a ‘synthesizer’ based on the Custom Wave Generator code. So the Midi Control Device’s sliders would affect different parameters of a custom waveform. Like for example pulse width or modulation amount. huh? Am I talking non-sense? :wacko:

no, you are talking about this. Unfortunately, as you can read at the end of the thread, there is a big problem with this approach: the way Renoise interprets the scripts makes it impossible to work with complex combos, long samples and real-time rendering

clever.
thanks!

is it possible to allow more than one “looper destination” to be controlled.
maybe with a name index?
“MIDI-CC Device II” for “Looper II” - “Looper destination II” and so on…

yes, it is definitely possible. I was preparing the code of the above linked experiment in order to make this possible before understanding its limitations. I will take a look at this as soon as possible

ah, great. and dont hurry. first things first. thanks again.

This is one hell of a tool and I just wonder why it still hasn’t been a real renoise feature yet.

not sure what i’m doing wrong here.

example file works, and i think I’m following directions correctly.

can’t seem to get my start/end points to automate.

(renoise newb)