FabFilter Pro-Q3 (VST3) not reacting to automation commands

I’m trying to automate a filter sweep using automation commands, but the plugin isn’t responding to the commands nor graphical automation.

1. I am running two instances of Pro-Q3 (VST 3), one for EQ and a secondary one purely as a filter.

2. Set Secondary EQ as sweep in, use linear fill to fill in automation commands.

3. Should filter sweep but doesn’t respond to commands whatsoever.

note: I’ve also tried sandboxing the plugin and also using VST 2 version, but it doesn’t seem to work. Any ideas?
I’ve also attached an image for illustration purposes as well.

Thanks

H.

1 Like

Yes. You need to put those commands in the FX column instead of the note column.
RTC
But this doesn’t explain why graphical automation doesn’t work as well.
Graphical automation should work in any case. What’s your operating system?

Just tested Fab Filter Q3 here, but could not replicate the issue.

@blo0dcl0t could you please upload a small, simple example Renoise Song here which demonstrates the problem?

hi TNT, I’m using Windows 11 23h2 (22631.3155)

Hi Taktik, I’ll send you two files, one with the project I was working on, and a second one that I tried to replicate the problem (so you can see what I probably did wrong).

pro-q3 ambient fail sweep.xrns (1017.2 KB)
failed vers (with 3rd party vst on reverb send)

pro-q3 ambient filter sweep test success.xrns (88.8 KB)
successful (stock reverb send)

Thanks.

As TNT said. In pro-q3 ambient fail sweep.xrns the pattern FX commands are in the wrong column. They should be placed into the FX column on the right and not the note column. Also the command should be 13XX and not 23XX (first effect in the chain, not the second).

Note that you can right click and move a DSP FX slider to write automation into the pattern automatically.
There’s and option to write into graphical automation instead as well: See Pattern Editor - Renoise User Manual ( * Pattern Automation Recording Mode: When enabled, right-clicked and MIDI mapped parameters are recorded into Automation instead of the track’s FX Column.)

I’ve got FabFilter Pro Q v3.5 here on Windows (the demo version only). Which version are you using?

2 Likes

I appreciate the input I’ll get back to you once the weekend is over since weekends I’m usually away from my computer
I’ll make sure to use the dedicated effects column next time
Thank you