Fade Out Vst

Hi

I was wondering if there’s a way to fade out a sample other than automating volume. I have eastwest symphonic, and i’m trying to get a less abrub end to certain notes. I tried using the OFF command, and it works acceptable with some samples, but others just cut off directly. I tried just entering descending values in the voume column, but that didn’t do anything. Any ideas?

Mads

It sounds like you just have to make the release time a bit longer on the samples that end to abruptly. (is that a word?)

You loading them in Renoise as standard sample right?

Go to Instrument Editor.

Tick next to Volume Envelope

Tick next to Sustain.

Keep attack instant, now change the Decay of the envelope to be the length you want (You can also use the Fadeout feature, whichever is easier.)

Remember NNA is as default set to Cut, meaning it will still cut with no tail if a new note is played while the old one is playing. If you want your decay tail to be working there also change NNA to Note Off.

Hope this helps.

Although you say VST in your title and Sample in your description so it may not…

If you are using the VST look for a Decay value, can’t believe such a respected series wouldn’t have it!

No, it’s a VST, East west Kontakt player. But then i would probably have to automate the decay. I’ll figure it out. Abruptly is a word :) Thx guys!

Be sure that you also raise the maximum amount of simultaneous voices used in Kontakt.
By default this is set to 32 or 64 (inside the plugin!), if samples get cut off it might mean that your polyphonic span isn’t large enough and you need to raise the voice limit. That is the “NNA” setting for Kontakt and Play libraries.

But don’t the VST have its own ADSR envelope/s ?
If so it should work to modify those instead.

apart from the aforementioned usage of the built-in ADSR envelope, another thing has to be pointed out: you should usually not use note-off as a primary source for fade out in Symphonic Orchestra: using MIDI Control Change #11, instead, you should control the dynamic of the sound, lowering the value when you are approaching the point where the sound has to end, then use note-off.

this is not a general rule itself, of course, but should be used with the sustained string and brass sounds at least.

You say that “some sounds” end abruplty; could you be more precise about this? Is there a class of instruments with which you experience this (winds, strings, brasses, …), or does this happen from time to time with any longer sample (in which case, as vV pointed out, it could be a polyphony issue)?