Fadeout Values?

Can anyone please explain what the values in Instrument Settings -> Envelopes -> Volume Fadeout are? It’s obvious what they do, but I wonder about what the range 0-4095 corresponds to.

0 corresponds to no fadeout, i.e. sample plays forever, even after being released (the envelope still affects the volume, there just isn’t any automatic fadeout)
4095 corresponds to near-instant fadeout, i.e. when you release the key or hit a note-off, the sample fades very quickly, but still not as abruptly as if you disabled the volume envelope altogether (try the two and compare)
And everything else lies somewhere in between those values and their corresponding fadeout behaviors. Just test it out to get a feel. Load a looping sample, turn on the volume envelope, modify the actual “envelope” part so that it’s at a constant volume, and see what different values of fadeout sound like.

0xFFF

The power of hex to decimal compels you?

Thanks cocoa. Yes, that’s what they do, but I wondered if there is some real meaning or some known function. Apart from 0 and 4095, I observed that a value of 96 results in a 4 bar fadeout, which made some sense to me, because 96 = 4 * 24. (The manual says 24 in the envelope equals one bar.)

Damn, I should have noticed that on my own! :blush: Thanks!

in the FT2 days this is how it worked, and I think it still does like this in Renoise:

after note-off, the fadeout value is subtracted at each tick to the value of the sample.

suppose you have a sample playing at 0db indefinitely; the sample value will be 32767, assuming it is a 16 bit sample.
the sample will be completely faded out into 8 ticks (usually less than a single row) if the fadeout is 4096

Aha! Thanks It-Alien!