Few Questions From Someone New To Renoise

Hey Everyone

I am deciding to switch from ableton and reason into Renoise and have been doing all the tutorials that I can find and I have come up with a few questions that I think will help me move along a bit quicker so if anyone could help me out a bit that would be very appreciated!

1. When syncing a break or loop, how do you know how many lines you should sync it to? For example if I have a 90 bpm 4 bar loop and want to sync it to 130 bpm do I have to take into account the number of lines per beat or is there even a relationship between the two? Would one have to take into account the time signature as well?

2. How do you load and save an entire send effect chain? I have been doing those cool “creative use of send tracks” tutorials in the in depth section and would like to make some custom send racks but I do not know how to save and load them…

3. Does anyone know where the global commands are in version 2.7 (like the scottish man uses in the last beginners tutorial to enter in the command that ends the song)?

I am sorry if these have been asked before but any help would be very…um… helpful.

Welcome.

Renoise is great and while I (and all/most others on the forum) love it like any other software it does have its strong points and its weak points. If you already know Ableton and Reason I wouldn’t rule out using Renoise with one/both of them using ReWire.

Renoise does not natively have any form of time-stretching, so when you are syncing to a number of lines you are only telling Renoise to play the sample at a specific pitch (transpose and finetune.) There are a couple of Tools which do use external time-stretch libraries though.

But to answer your actual question:
BPM makes no difference. LPB of Renoise is how many Lines there are Per Beat. A 4 bar loop of 4/4 music will have 16 beats. So if you have a LPB of 4 then 4x16 = 64lines to sync.

You can load or save a DSP Chain from any Track, whether a normal track or a Send track. You can then reload it, replacing existing or appending on the end according to your settings/what you choose. This can be done in a number of ways. Through the Disk-Op, select the DSP Chain radio button, enter a name to save and click Save. This will save the DSP Chain from your current track. Right-click in the Track DSPs section and select Save DSP Chain As… Or right-click in the track in the Mixer section and select Save DSP Chain As.

You can only save a single chain though, so if you want to save one containing multiple Send tracks with their DSPs you can not.

The Pattern Editor Control Panel has a drop-down list of every possible pattern effect command, including all the global ones. The down arrow next to where is says FX.

http://tutorials.renoise.com/wiki/Pattern_Editor#Pattern_Editor_Control_Panel

Or you can find all the commands and more about them below:
http://tutorials.renoise.com/wiki/Pattern_Effect_Commands

hi zardoz, and welcome to the forums. the ‘beginners questions’ subforum where you posted this is just for those questions you are asking, so don’t worry too much about them having been asked before. we are a friendly community and always happy to help out where we can.

i struggled with this when starting with Renoise as well. there is no ‘magic button’ which adjust everything so the loop you’re using is exactly the length of a single pattern, without having the loop pitched up/down. (this is what Kazakore means with ‘renoise has no native time-stretching’)
this is trial-and-error stuff. place your loop, use the Sample Settings to sync it to, for example, 128LPB, and play the track. if it sounds way to high/fast, try 256LPB, etc.

the most useful thing for info on Renoise is the site tutorials.renoise.com. also, check my signature for a link to my Renoise CheatSheet, which has plenty of cool stuff and basic command-lists etc etc which you’ll find useful.

good luck!

^ ah sorry i thought i changed the link everywhere but forgot my sig apparently: http://roald.exul.nl/renoise/cheatsheet/

Thanks allot to all of you for your replies, this clears allot of stuff up.

As for the lack of time stretching, that is ok, since I still use Ableton so I can always warp the loops first and then import back into Renoise. As for Reason, I will probably use the synths to rewire in, but I detest the sequencer of reason 5!