Finally!

Allright, theres no fancy bullshit involved really. All you need aside from EWQL Symphonic Choirs / WordBuilder and Renoise is MIDI Yoke.

First off, make sure to have MIDI Yoke installed, aswell as the latest version of EWQLSC and WordBuilder version 1.1.6. Use the stand-alone versions of choirs and wordbuilder.

Ok, here we go.

Start Renoise first. Select a track you like and goto the Instrument Settings tab. In the Device dropdown menu, select “Out To MIDI Yoke: 1”

Once done, open WordBuilder Stand-Alone and in the top menu click on Voice and in the menu that appears set Midi In to “In from MIDI Yoke: 1”. Set Midi Out to “Out from MIDI Yoke 2”.

Ok, you’re done in WordBuilder for the moment. Launch Symphonic Choirs.

If it doesnt open automatically when running Symphonic Choirs, goto File > Setup.

In Setup, select the midi tab and in Input Interface enable “In from MIDI Yoke: 2”

Thats it. Now you go right back to wordbuilder and add a word or sentence. Then to Symphonic Choirs and load a multi.

Go back into Renoise, select the MIDI instrument and let the singing begin.

Oh, two things though.

It seems my basenote was set to B-3 for some reason. It didnt show in Renoise, but it did in Symphonic Choirs. This might just be something on my side, but if its the same for you, just go to the midi instruments “midi properties” and Set the Basenote to C#4 and it will even out.

To record the choirs you will need to use a third party software such as Adobe Audition or Cubase or whatever. To record it in an easy way, there should be virtual audio cables to use and “connect” so you get a direct line into your recording program. Other applications can probably capture any audio events in Windows so thats a possibility too.

I tested this on a Windows Vista platform with SoundBlaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum soundcard running EWQLSO at 96khz / 24-bit. It works flawlessly.

NOW! to gain full control of the app, use the MIDI-CC meta device.

Heres a list of the basic CCs.

Mod Wheel - CC #01
Expression - CC #11

For a complete list, refer to your EWQL Symphonic Choirs manual.

Have fun, folks! ;D

thanks for the description! I personally hate the Wordbuilder and how it works, so I have always used the choirs alone; also, it is maybe easier in the end to pre-render the words and then use them in Renoise.

anyway nice trick, and I’d love to hear your results!

nope, cause i just figured out how to get the audio back into renoise

Use another channel than the one with the midi instruments notes in it, add a and a Line-In meta Device to that

Now goto Edit > Preferences… > Audio > In Device = Your virtual cable or if you have an Audigy card, you can use “What U Hear”. Other cards probably have a similair setting.

There, now you can use all of Renoises effects and whatnot aswell as VST effects. And perhaps render directly in renoise.

Enjoy!

There is a way to make everything integrated to renoise as vst.
No standalone app used. Thus everything will be saved within the xrns file.
I’m not sure if you can do this without 3rd party plugins you need to pay for.

However, this is my setup:

I use the brilliant http://xlutop.com/buzz/zip/dxshell_v1.0.2b.zip to convert mfx (wordbuilder format) to vst format.

Then you need a vst plugin that is a flexible vst host (like energyXT or Bidule) to load the wordbuilder VST and the Choir vst together and connect the midi together from wordbuilder into Symphonic Choir VST.

I was unable to create new dll’s using the shell2vst tool that is inside the dxshell_v1.0.2b.zip file.
But the mfxshell.dll works. So you can load the wrapper inside either energyXT or Bidule. When you do that you will get a list of the mfx on your computer. However in energyXT you have to choose this mfx file each time you load this instrument. While in Bidule it remembers the instrument you did choose.
So I recommend Bidule for this (there could be other vst’s that could do this also!).

And there you have it. After loading your preferred choir and setting up everything in bidule, you simply save the xrni file in renoise to quickly load the setup next time you need it.

Yeah, I tried using both the mfxshel.dll and the converted VST plugin but didnt manage to get em working. couldnt find the proper midi porting or whatever used to bridge the two in the vst versions of WB / EWQLSO…

EWQLSO Sample in Renoise

some postprocessing on this (normalization > multiband compressor> normalization > light tube compressor.

thats why its loud. but it sounds pretty neat.

I have tested both energyXT and bidule for connecting them.

EnergyXT will do the job, but I forgot to mention that only energyXT2 will work correctly. But as said each time you load the xrni you will have to wait for that list to pop up at your mouse cursor and then select wordbuilder. It so easy to miss that happening and then everything can hang and you don’t understand what is going on.
Bidule did not have that problem. In Bidule you will see the wrapper extracted for you as a MFX directory inside the VSTi directory.

The connection is very simple. Just load bidule as a vsti plugin in renoise. Inside bidule you open both wordbuilder and the symphonic choir vsti.
Then draw a midi connection (the white square) between “Bidule plugin” (the input module in Bidule on top) and word builder. Then from wordbuilder to the choir vsti.

From the choir vsti yo also have to draw the two first audio outputs (blue squares) to the “Bidule plugin” output module at the bottom.
You will understand it when you see it.

Don’t forget to type a vowel in the wordbuilder before you start testing if the connections are correct ^_^ , else you wont hear anything.

It’s a but tricky first. But works great when you manage to set i up correctly.

Even PDC work like a charm this way.

If you get the wrong octave/basenote it’s most likely you have chosen the wrong choir preset in the wordbuilder the first time you loaded it. It has to know what choir you intend to use in the Choir VST so it can set the correct basenote.

cheers