Fine Tune A Sample

How can you finetune a sample in renoise? I did it in modplug tracker all the time but since i started with renoise a couple of years ago
i kinda got a new way of handling samples and i am superhappy with working in renoise but sometimes i just want to type in a little lesser or greater value so the sample get a little bit pitched.

Renoise rocks btw and is my secret lover and carebear

instrument settings -> sample properties -> finetuning

edit: unless you mean a fine tune value in the pattern editor? not possible currently I think.

a “finetune column” would rock I guess…

Cheers! it would be awesome to have that possibility in the sample editor, and a finetune column would be pretty cool yes :)

with 2.6 you actually kinda have that :D

omg :w00t: gotta get home and download :panic:
thank you Johann you → :guitar: :drummer: :yeah:

you’re very welcome! I cannot possibly take credit for that though :D

I’d like a fine tune FX in the pattern editor too.
The link leads me to rubberband, but I don’t need to timestretch it.
Like automation for the instrument properties finetune.
This is not possible?

can’t this be done through the 02xx and 01xx commands? i have no idea how fine they tune, but from experience i taught myself that 0210 pitches one note (keyboard key) down, so that would mean that 0204 should pitch down less, thus allowing finetuning? i would really appreciate it if someone would actually explain this in detail, as half of the time i do it by ear and have no idea if i’m right or wrong.

What kind of samples do you use that need this dynamic kind of finetuning?

I want to use slight detune on a closed hihat sample making it less digital.
I tried the c1 pitchwheel command, but it does not seem to work on samples.

Aren’t those slides like portamento?
I will try…

yeah, they’re for pitch sliding, but maybe used subtly it can help create what you want?

you can do very fast pitch shifting using 01xx or 02xx if you set the number of ticks to 1, using command F101 (immediate pitch shift) or to 2, using command F102 (two-steps pitch shifting).

note comm comm  
C-4 F201 0210  

the above command will immediately change the pitch of the note from C-4 to B-3

well, I am a guitar player and usually I hate maths :blink: . But trackers and Renoise in particular do rock, so I am very happy to do :D

0210 = 1 semitone (one note) down in musical terms = 100 cents down in mathematical ( “geek” ;) ) term
0208 = 1/2 semitone down = 50 cents down
0204 = 1/4 semitone down = 25 cents down
0201 = 1/16 semitone down = 6.25 cents down

Basically, the difference is that the range of pitching with the 02/01 command is much greater than with the finetuning.
If I’m not mistaken the finetune tunes between -1 to +1 semitone in 8bit resolution. (in steps of 0.787 cents)
The pitch command uses 8bit resolution for pitching down or up between almost -16 to +16 semitones (exactly -0.0625 semitones (0201) and -15.9375 semitones (02FF) in steps of 6.25 cents).

finetuning 006 to 127 translates to: fx 0101 to 0110
finetuning -006 to -127 translates to: fx 0201 to 0210

IMHO the fx command resolution is quiet high , unless somebody tells me a pitch change of 006 cents by ear :walkman:

I don’t get it…
If I set the tick rate to 1, will this affect the whole song or only the track.
Is this the same as ticks per line in the song properties tab?

Thomas: yes, it will affect the whole song, starting from where you set the rate to 1, but you can reset it back to whatelse (0C is the default, so F20C) at any time

@Mike&TheOrganics: thanks a lot man! will save your explanation somewhere for reference for sure! it also established what i had figured out myself through trial and error, but nice to know i was on the right track.

@It-Alien: i’ve never noticed a delay with the 02xx and 01xx commands. When i do C-401 02F0 it will just play at that note, without delay (i think!). could it be that there is a delay, because i usually work in 360BPM with 8 LPB?

“delay” is not the best word to describe this:

when Renoise performs a pitch shifting (but this is also true for most of the commands), the process of shifting is divided into a number of steps which is the number of the ticks in which the row is divided. Command F2xx (00h < xx 10h) controls in how many ticks the row will be divided.

If for example you set a row to be divided into 12 ticks (which is the default), and use a 02C0 command to pitch a note down of 12 semitones, at each tick the note will be pitched down by one semitone. If instead you set the numbre of ticks to 6 (F206), at each tick the pitch will be lowered by 2 semitones, so in both cases the duration of the shifting will be one row, so there is no actual “delay” in the operation in any case.
Of course, using a fast tempo will render this far less noticeable, but if you try with slower tempoes, you will surely notice it.

This can be used in several manners like for example to obtain more “robotic” pitch shifting, by temporarily reducing the number of ticks in a row

@It-Alien: thank you for the elaborate explanation. it’s all clear to me now.