First Thing Made In Renoise :)

Hello.

I did use Fasttracker yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaars ago, and after that I tried Fruityloops a bit. In 2003 I stopped and a month or two ago I accidentely found out that all my FT2 songs where adjustable in Renoise. So I picked up an old habit and started to create noise :)

Got to find my way in Renoise, but I had a lot of pleasure in creating this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwwEbxgfY7Q

I would appreciate it if you would all give me some feedback, tnx in advance!

Greetz,

Hardpigeon

Welcome back to tracking Pigeon, can’t really comment on the song as it isn’t my cup of whiskey/style I prefer, lol @ the Dutch vocals though, where is it from, if I may ask?

Thanks for your reaction. The vocal is from Theo Maassen, also from years back. I saved all my samples from my Fasttracker-time :)

There is only one reaction that springs to mind; ‘HAKKÛÛÛÛÛÛÛÛÛÛÛHHHHHHH!!!’

And is this positive or negative?

nice!

Just wanted to edit my post, and clicked on “Reply”, and I don’t know how to remove this reply now :)

as i promised in your other post i’ve listened to the song and will try and give you some constructive feedback here.

music with loud distorted beats like this, tends to get ‘muddy’. that means there will be too many bass-sounds that can drown out other sounds, making it feel too full and cluttered and, well, muddy. your song suffers from this. you can hear it in the intro when the bass comes in, you can hear it after the kicks come in, and you can hear it especially when the melody drops out and it is kicks only. there is loads of bass-rumble in there, and it does not sound very clean. i have made some presets in the Filter Device for 0,03/0,13/0,33khz low-cut filters. these cut off the low frequencies to give them more room, and making them sound a bit more ‘in their place’.

this must be the biggest point i can make about the song. other than that, it sounds like a gabber/hardcore-song and it sure sounds like you had fun making it, which is, in the end, the most important thing.

hope you find some use for those comments, and good luck with Renoise.

Thank you bigtime for your comment here and in the other topic. This is indeed very usefull, I will check it out! Don’t really know how this works with the Filter Device and khz. You seem to know a lot about it. Is there any lecture or site with information about this you recommend?

Thanks again for your feedback!

doesn’t youtube audio compression always suck? Put up a 320 kbps mp3 version online for true evaluation of audio quality.

@Jonas: I tried to upload MP3, Youtube didn’t accept that?

i don’t have any theory on this, and to be honest i do not know a whole lot about it. i just found this out through experimentation and a basic understanding of filters through reading various stuff like Wikipedia etc. i’ll explain a bit about the low-pass and high-pass here, and you can go from there yourself i think.

insert a filter Device into your DSP Devices chain. its default setting is a Low-Pass (LP) filter with the cutoff slider all the way up. this filter type is called ‘low-pass’ because it lets the low frequencies pass through, while stopping the high ones. how many high frequencies are stopped (filtered) by the filter you can control with the ‘cutoff’ slider. when you slide this slider down, you’ll see the graphic to the right change. the graphic displays the filter curve, so the frequencies it allows, so to speak. you’ll see from the curve that the further you pull the slider down, less high frequencies will pass through. you can try this on any sound which has high frequencies and immediately hear it.
the Hi-Pass (HP) filter is exactly the same thing, only from the high-frequencies-side. if you choose the model to be a Butterworth 8n and pull the slider all the way down to 0,13khz (you can type in the value as well by clicking on the number), you’ll have a low-cut filter. so it cuts off the ultra-low frequencies, which reduces rumble. when you have a sound for which the low frequencies are important, you can set this 0,03khz for it to let more low frequencies through.

experiment with these, and try to figure out how the other filter-types work yourself. remember that the curve display is a very useful way of visualizing what the filter does.

good luck!