[fixed 1.1.2] Redux not receiving keyboard events in Ardour and Reaper under Linux

Bitwig and Tracktion.

After some back and forth to show the actual problem, this is what I got from BitWig support:

thanks, keyboard input for plugins is a bit complicated under Linux.

We contacted the Redux developer to see if we can improve the situation.

lolā€¦ it was working before, but there must be a reason why they changed it.

At least they try to solve the problem.

Working on this with the Bitwig team to get it fixed again.

Iā€™ve also finally found out why it didnā€™t worked in Ardour and Mixbus, so this will be fixed in the next update.
Will check Reaper on Linux again as well.

6 Likes

Nice!

In the mean timeā€¦ I switched to Fluxbox as my go-to window manager (without any additional ā€œdesktop environmentā€ stuff alongside), mainly because of this issue. It has already been mentioned that Redux works when using Fluxbox, but it bears repeating: yep, I can confirm that Redux works beautifully, also in Reaper, and doesnā€™t need any input gimmics around it when running Fluxbox as the wm. It just works, out of the box, all editing operations and ESC and space and everything.

Granted, moving to Fluxbox might feel like a drastic workaround in itself :D, and I sympathise. Anyway, personally Iā€™ve enjoyed taking the ā€œcustom lightweight power user DIY yada yadaā€ road on my builds before, heh, running antiX and whatnot, even on new systems with loads of RAM andā€¦ Iā€™ve come to appreciate Fluxbox quite a bit, on any system. I understand configuring it isnā€™t everyoneā€™s idea of a fun time, but still, itā€™s well worth considering.

This is because in many distributions thereā€™s already a session manager that lets you choose the wm/environment for the current session during login. If you install Fluxbox and use it as a secondary choice, you can keep it ready to go and barebones-configured just for those music making sessions. Configured nicely (see something like https://forum.mxlinux.org/viewtopic.php?t=47962 ) itā€™s a lot better than actively working around this issue all the while actually editing and making music.

In other words, when you are making music and using Redux, the window manager soon fades away in your mind and you can focus on the solid editing workflow. That is, instead of keeping the current window manager but actively working around the issue while editing, constantly impacting the core feel of what youā€™re doing.

1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: Redux keyboard input does not work on Linux in Bitwig 3.2

Hello. I was wondering if anyone knows if redux works in reaper nowadays?
I have been trying to send notes to it from reaper with no prevail and is curious about if i am doing something wrong or if it is still an issue with how the vst works with reaper.