[fixed 1.1.2] Redux not receiving keyboard events in Ardour and Reaper under Linux

Deat @taktik,

I am aware that this has been discussed before, but I would like to bring this to your attention again, since it has been years now since Redux has been released:
Currently, Redux is still not really usable in Ardour and Reaper under Linux, since it does not receive keyboard focus. I know you last time said this is a problem with the host (Reaper back then), but it seems that the situation is not that simple: https://discourse.ardour.org/t/renoise-redux-not-receiving-key-events/88301. If I understand the Ardour developer correctly, then there does not seem to be a standard way for Linux plugins to handle keyboard focus (for some reason). Would it be possible to get into contact with Paul (Ardour) and Justin (Repaer) to discuss a way (standard or not) to handle this at least in their hosts? Once this is in place, other hosts might follow that implementation then, and you could even propose your way as a ā€œstandardā€ for Linux VST. I am sure that selling a product that does not work properly is also not in your interest, and I really hope that a solution for this can be found soon.

I just tried Redux under Renoise in Linux, and this DOES work. So it appears that you have all the knowledge from the host side to implement this correctly. If you could just give this knowledge to other host developers, so they can implement this correctly, that would be great. I am sure that at least Justin will be happy to implement this, as he has implemented specific fixes for specific plugins before.

I think it also works in Waveform and (?) Bitwig.

Maybe they have better communication with those developers then. So it really just comes down to communicating this to Paul and Justin, which is great, because it means that nothing substantial is standing in the way of having Redux work in Ardour and Reaper! I hope this gets fixed very soon then.

@taktik, thanks for editing the title, but please be aware that the same issue is present in Reaper as well, it is not exclusive to Ardour! I edited the title again to reflect this correctly.

Hi!

@taktik As a new Redux user, I hit this. I am using Mixbus as my DAW. I also verified, same problem appears in Ardour 5.12.

I can see that Redux is receiving key presses, because I see those ā€˜keyboardā€™ keys animated to be pressed, but nothing happens in Phrases-editor. And yes, it is in edit mode, and same operations done when running from carla work ok. I also recorded video of problem:

When I start Carla as plugin in Mixbus, and Redux in Carla, then it works, but seems to be very crashy, not usable.

i cai can chime in with mixbus and redux combo. Iā€™ve made some project with redux, and saved it. Whenever i open that project and i open plugin -mixbus001
it just freeze daw - mixbus32c - until i terminate the processā€¦ macos mojave 10.14.6 (latest redux - latest 32c)

Seems silent here, should this be formally reported as a bug?

Just saying, I think youā€™ll find ā€˜the-Linux-Redux-VST-keyboard-forwarding-event-issueā€™ is already known about.

Ok, thanks. So Ardour side is fixed, but still waiting for Redux to be fixed.

So most likely this is somehow related to Renoise strange behaviour regarding keyboard. Keys that are bind in window manager do now work as expected when using Renoise (which is annoying)

Most likely that same code is causing problems here when Redux is embedded inside Ardour own plugin window, and it canā€™t see itself as ā€˜focused windowā€™. Sounds like some change in X11 key event handling is needed.

I tried redux in the latest dev build of reaper and can play samples (enter phrases etc) with the computer keyboard when the editor window is open. Canā€™t remember if this was working before but i donā€™t think so.

1 Like

It somehow only works in fluxbox not xfce, this is very strange.

1 Like

I am running BitWig 3.2 on Linux and Iā€™m having the same issue. Keys can only be used to play notes. Everything else doesnā€™t work. I faintly remember this working before, but Iā€™m not sure what changed. I can get the keys to work in Carla, but as an earlier poster said, it crashes a lot.

I was just testing it in Bitwig 3.1 and it was working.

I used my package cache to test BitWig v3.1.2. It worked, indicating BitWig made some change in v3.2 that broke redux. Iā€™ve contacted BitWig support and will update when I hear back.

1 Like

Iā€™m testing 3.1. at the moment with Debian. I get sporadic xruns, especially when using e.g. DIVA. This issue still prevents me from buying it.

I took at look at their changelog for v3.2

• Linux: When plug-in window is focused, allow key events to still work as though the Bitwig window was focused (for example, keyboard note input will still work)

I bet this is causing the problem.

Yes, seems so. Right, I read this yesterday and forgot about it. Maybe write an email to the support team.

So Bitwig was the only host in which it worked correctly and now they explicitly changed that? Those people are hilarious.