[fixed 3.1] Crashing/problems with SampleTank AU on OSX

I apologize if this has already been reported or if I’ve posted this in the wrong place:

On the 64bit build of 3.1.rc2, 4 out of 5 times, it crashes if I am in the plugin tab on the top left, and then go to the upper-right side of the screen to click a different instrument. Also, it crashes in a way that I always have to force quit, it won’t close on its own–though it does bring up an error message, but it still won’t close without a force quit.

I’ve learned to always be in the editor mode first, then click on the instrument, then click on the plugin tab.

I’m on Yosemite 10.10.5 on a Hackintosh, Intel i5 quad core processor, ASUS motherboard with 8 gigs of ram.

With which plugins (GUIs) does that happen? With any or just some specific plugins? Are those plugins 64 or 32 bit?

Could you maybe do a little video capture of this, so we can see what exactly you are doing?

I can’t reproduce this on MBP (i5, RAM 8GB) with Yosemite 10.10.5

Are you sure you are not substituting/replacing an existing plugin instrument?

I’ll do a video of it… I’ll probably have it up in about a half an hour…

Here’s the song, in case there’s something wrong with the song…

http://kizzume.com/Living-amongst-people.xrns

Thanks for the video and for sharing the file. It’s a specific problem with the SampleTank AU and aliases os OSX: when selecting an alias of sample tank while the “real” AU instance was selected, Renoise may quickly close the plugin’s UI and open it again. This causes troubles with some plugins, so we’ll avoid that.

Thanks. I also notice that when I’m using aliases in SampleTank 3, I often can’t use any Renoise track effects (reverb, etc…), they simply won’t work (it doesn’t crash, but it simply doesn’t work) and I have to rely on the effects that come with SampleTank 3… I’ll do more tests on that so I can give more specifics. Right now I’m on my Windows side as I type this, so I’ll have to test it when I’m back in OSX.

I also notice that when I’m using aliases (…) I often can’t use any Renoise track effects

Most plugins will simply output to a single stereo audio channel by default. This is just fine if you’re only playing the plugin on a single track in Renoise.

But when you’re working with a multi-timbral plugin like SampleTank, and you’ve got multiple aliases set up in Renoise to trigger each part/voice from a different MIDI channel, then you also need to take care of setting up the proper audio routings, so that each part/voice gets routed to the correct track.

I’m not very familiar with SampleTank myself, but in its mixer panel you should be able to assign each part/voice to a different output bus like “Out 1+2”, “Out 3+4”, “Out 5+6”, and so on.

Once those are assigned, go into Renoise’s plugin properties, expand the Audio Routing section, and assign each output to the desired track.

http://tutorials.renoise.com/wiki/Plugin#Plugin_Instrument_Properties

Most plugins will simply output to a single stereo audio channel by default. This is just fine if you’re only playing the plugin on a single track in Renoise.

But when you’re working with a multi-timbral plugin like SampleTank, and you’ve got multiple aliases set up in Renoise to trigger each part/voice from a different MIDI channel, then you also need to take care of setting up the proper audio routings, so that each part/voice gets routed to the correct track.

I’m not familiar with SampleTank myself, but in its mixer panel you should be able to assign each part/voice to a different output bus like “Out 1+2”, “Out 3+4”, “Out 5+6”, and so on.

Once those are assigned, go into Renoise’s plugin properties, expand the Audio Routing section, and assign each output to the desired track.

http://tutorials.renoise.com/wiki/Plugin#Plugin_Instrument_Properties

Thanks for the info. I’ve wondered why I’ve had so many problems trying to do that, and your explanation made it make sense as to why it did this–I had tons of problems in earlier versions of Renoise with this. It’s good that in THIS version, it just doesn’t work at all, because in past versions, it would really act buggy when I would attempt this, and I never understood why.

Many years ago, I think 3 machines ago, when I’d share my actual song files, people would continually critique how I used to never use aliases, and I originally got told that the reason why my feeble attempts to do slides (again, this is a long time ago on old hardware and on really old versions of Renoise) would bog the computer down so much to where it almost crashed was because I had multiple instances of a plugin being used.

Unfortunately, that wiki you linked to made my head hurt, and when I tried to use the options in the program, I looked at it for about 2 minutes, tried changing some options, and just exited Renoise. Here’s what I saw:

That’s about as confusing as all the routing that shouldn’t be necessary but is required to put a stereo effect on a single mono channel in Cubase vs how in ProTools it’s just done automatically.

I think the best thing would be for me to simply stop using aliases, since I’ve never had a problem with CPU usage on my newer machines, and CPU usage is the only possible advantage I can see to using aliases in the first place. If there are other advantages, please let me know what they are.

Thanks for the info :slight_smile: