Font subpixel rendering

Since freetype supports subpixel rendering of fonts, maybe this can be exposed in Renoise? Or does it look less slick/oldschool/homogenous?

I think it often breaks gpu acceleration, making guis slow on redrawing, but no idea about the engine used in Renoise.

Apple completely seem to have removed it. Microsoft seems to have managed to fully accelerate it.

I would agree that subpixel rendering could improve readability in Renoise at scales like 175% or so (which are completely unusable on macos currently, fonts are way too thin then).

I am not sure if subpixel font rendering works on all kind of monitor types.

Well, it doesn’t work on CRT. But it makes a bunch of difference in HD resolution. AFAIK this is still the most common resolution.

There are a few different methods of subpixel rendering because there are different color subpixel array structures from different monitor modells and different manufactors. If you use false subpixel rendering methods you have artefacts, colorshades or unsharpenings on fontletter outlines. But in my opinion, it dont make a sense to think about it at this point, because actual Renoise normal fontrendering is so insufficient that you have been really bigger problems with it, as subpixelrendering. But if some day the Renoise fontrendering library will be upgraded/updated, it should surely featured this.

happy Tracking :slight_smile: