Free Soundfont Vsti?

Anyone know of a decent free/cheap VSTi with an OS X version (or an AU) that’ll play SF2 SoundFonts? At the moment I’m using Bismark bs-0 but it’s slightly limited, and the full version seems a bit steep at $50. Failing that, is there a way to load SoundFonts directly into Renoise, or convert them to XRNIs? (A quick search revealed a Windows SF to XRNI convertor, but that’s no help for us Mac users!)

On Mac OSX there is an AU instrumentnamed DLSMusicDevice, installed by default.

Place your .sf2 files in /Library/Audio/Sounds/Banks and they will appear in the DLSMusicDevice’s “Sound Bank” drop-down menu.

Regards,

< Source >

Also check out the *Instrument MIDI Control meta device.

This meta device allows you to send a program change (Prg = ON) MIDI event to the AU. This is how can select a different sound bank.

Just tried that (even rebooted just in case) but the bank dropdown in the AU is greyed out…

Works for me? What version of OSX are you using?

2468 works_for_me.jpg

Maybe a permissions issue? Try putting the file in your user dir instead of the global one. E.g.

/Users//Library/Audio/Sounds/Banks

[quote=“Conner_Bw, post:5, topic:34045”]
Works for me? What version of OSX are you using?

2468 works_for_me.jpg
Snow Leopard; the thing your arrow is pointing at is greyed out and I can’t change it. I’ll try bunging a few random SoundFonts in there and see what happens; it may be the one I’m using is too big/the wrong version/incompatible for some bizarre reason…