From 4/4 to 3/4

Hi everyone

Correct me if I’m wrong:

If I want to go from 4/4 to 3/4 using the delay column (say my LPB is set to 8, for example), I am trying to figure out how much I would delay the beats while in the 3/4 signature.

Can someone help me through that process? Thanks!

Hi!

I’d consider using LPB of 12 or 24 instead.

Okay, 8 divided by 3 is 2 with 2 remaining. So each note would take 2 and 2/3. Each line has 256 divisions, which is 100 in hex. 100 in hex divided by 3 is 55 in hex. 55 in hex times 2 is AA. So triplet at 8 LPB would be 2 lines plus AA in delay column.

00 C

02 C AA

05 C 55

REPEAT

Correct me if I’m wrong:

If I want to go from 4/4 to 3/4 using the delay column (say my LPB is set to 8, for example), I am trying to figure out how much I would delay the beats while in the 3/4 signature.

Can someone help me through that process? Thanks!

Ok, correcting… :wink:

Going from 4/4 to 3/4 doesn’t change the tempo at all. You still have quarter notes (crotchets), and they are still of the same duration. This is completely unrelated to triplets etc. The thing that does change is the bar (only 3 quarter notes rather than 4 of them), and typically there’s a different accentuation/rhythm. (That’s why you do it!)

So, what I would do for practical reasons: E.g. if I have a 4/4 and a pattern length of 48 lines representing 1 bar, a quarter note is 12 lines. Now all I do for 3/4 is use a pattern with 36 lines. Obviously, accents will be changed, but a quarter note is still a quarter note, taking 12 lines.

(Actually you don’t have to change pattern length at all, it’s only for convenience. As I already mentioned, it’s a matter of accents.)

If you’re talking about triplets , that’s a different story. If using a lot of them I’d go for what lwpss recommended. That’s exactly why I used 48 lines in my example above. :slight_smile:

I know it’s not what you ask.I when I want to change compass, change the whole pattern to keep pace.To do this change I upload or low the number of rows per pattern, and if necessary the BPM with the ZTxx command in master column.To avoid the delay parameter in column you can use more number of rows per patternwith rapid BMP, but it must be provided for beforehand. Thus, always I use the delay parameter in columnto correct the launch of the note.

For example, you can switch to:

Pattern 1 (4/4):

-Rows per pattern: 128

-LPB: 8

-BMP: 180 (ZTB4 or faster)

Pattern 2 (3/4):

-Rows per pattern: 96

-LPB: 8

-BMP: 180 (ZTB4)

-Curiously, in this configuration, a compass is equal to a second accurate.

(By having more rows, you can play with them to launch more notes)

If you want to change to a triplet in 4/4 you can do what he says lhaastdaiz, with the delay parameter in column but only to a point instrument.This does not change the compass.

https://forum.renoise.com/t/triplets-in-renoise/44747

Thanks everyone! I will tinker with this stuff. I appreciate it.

Triplets are easier with phrases. 9 LPB, 9 lines and a note every third. Or 9 LPB, 3 lines a note on every line. 6 lines note every second and so on. :slight_smile: