Frustrated! Drum Kit//distribute Fail Newbie (Akai Lpd8)

All I want Renoise for is drum samples because I know (or believe) that it can do all that I need otherwise (record guitar and bass and VST instruments and signal processing. $75US, gladly, worth every piaster.

The problem is mapping my Akai MPC (LPD8) to Renoise.

Renoise manual is lacking. It states what Renoise can do but not how to do it (i.e. Step 1, Step 2, etc.).

1. Okay, so the Instrument Browser is of no use for mapping samples (had to find this out the hard way, long, hard hours of experimentation).

2. Fine, one must load the samples into the “Instrument Settings” tab at the bottom tab (had to find this out the hard way, long, hard hours of experimentation).

3. Okay so I load the samples into the “Instruments Settings” tab and then drag them out to the keyboard mapping area (view 6), (had to find this out the hard way, long, hard hours of experimentation).

4. My LPD8 has 8 pads and is mapped for c2 to g2.

5. I “size” each drum hit sample to a single key/note on the virtual keyboard, corresponding to the preset I loaded on the LPD8 (c2-G2).

6. The drum hit samples are then sounding randomly, on LPD8 pads disassociated with how I loaded the LPD8 (and in turn how I manually resized and positioned each drum hit sample to the note corresponding in the LPD8.

7. My LPD8 is set for c-2 to g-2 but when I press the pads it is sounding randomly in the c-3 range.

8. “Drum Kit” button in view 6. Nice! Please make it somehow work.

9. “Distribute Equally” button distributes drum samples over a 4-step range. What I want (logically) is one sample assigned only to one virtual keyboard note, one LPD8 pad.

Miffed that I can’t demo my Presonus Firestudio Mobile because the demo doesn’t support ASIO, but that’s okay, I believe it works.

Hi,

IF you browse/search the Renoise tools… http://www.renoise.com/tools and forum https://forum.renoise.com/c/renoise-tools

You might find some stuff to help you with the Akai and hardware. I was looking for you a little, I’m pretty sure I have seen a few things in this direction, but I couldn’t find an exact link. But I know there are several tools for mapping, performance, and all kinds of hardware integration.

As far as making Renoise instruments… I dunno, that’s a little bit of the learning curve of music production, and not just a Renoise problem. But… fyi… You can drag samples directly from the browser to key map zones… have you tried this? I guess its not in the manual… but if you click on “sample keyzones,” and show the piano bar/keyboard, with the sample map up top… just drag and drop… very quick n easy…

Finally, the backstage sample packs are awesome! No doubt… And I totally know some producers have made their own drum kits, that they use again and again, for all their songs, “and these people require very minimal sample collections.” Nothing wrong with that, but if you turn out to need more samples… Do not worry… I have found that drum samples collections can become stupid huge… I don’t know how long you have been producing, but I bet if I deleted all my drum samples, I’d be defragging my hard drive for days… I think…

[quote=“2 daze j, post:2, topic:36718”]
But… fyi… You can drag samples directly from the browser to key map zones… have you tried this? I guess its not in the manual… but if you click on “sample keyzones,” and show the piano bar/keyboard, with the sample map up top… just drag and drop… very quick n easy…

[/quote

Thanks for your reply. Yes I have tried this. When I drag samples directly from the browser to the key map zones they each seem to be on a separate “layer,” that is, when I drag one sample, it appears where I dragged it, no problem. When I drag a second a second sample, it appears, again no problem but the first one is invisible, in desktop publishing terms, it is on another “layer.” When I click on any specific sample in the sample selector, it appears but I can only see it when I click on it. When done in this way, only one sample appears in the keyboard mapping view (view 6). I cannot see more than one sample and only when I click on any given sample. Each sample applied this way seems to be isolated in it’s own “layer.”

In some regards, you are likely correct, this is a problem of learning DAW generally, but at least Reaper has a step-by-step procedure in it’s manual. I can make Reaper work by reading the manual and following along. The Renoise seems to rely on the intuition of it’s users. There is no step-by-step written process written in the manual. If I must I will use Reaper with Poise but I hold hope that I can convince Renoise do what I know it can do.

Thanks again,
Casper

I think this is the very button you need for your distribution task. What happens when I press it, is, that it distributes the samples in my current instrument’s sample list (the list at the bottom, Instrument settings tab) from the “from” note into playable key zones, 1 sample on each zone. So if you have 8 samples in your sample list, select C-2 as your “from” note, and press the Drum Kit button, it should do what I think you want it to do. Does it not work? You press it, and nothing happens?

That’s how you build multi-sample instruments. Not a Renoise problem. Same deal in Kontakt, or Halion (sp – steinbergs multi-sample vst sampler ) The gray boxes on the red outline, allow you to drag and drop, so you can create, “velocity layers.” ( EDIT = silly me, the colors will change depending on your Renoise theme. )

This is, “advanced sampling technique,” and might be beyond the scope of a user manual. However… I see your point. I know they were asking for Articles for the Blog… If I have some time, I bet I could write an essay on this…

Its different from Photoshop… You are not supposed to cover one sample with another.

Renoise is a whole different thing… :slight_smile: Its a good journey