Gapper

Hiya!
I’ve been learning the tricks of renoise recently, it’s indeed a nice software for making complicated glitchy beats. The thing I am wondering is if there is some nice trick for “gapping/gating” through the breakbeat so it becomes stuttery? I’ve tried the noteoffs and automation, but it seem too slow or something, the effect isn’t really heard. I was really inspired when I heard the works of kink, you know the guy with buzztracker that makes all kinds of crazy shit. I can understand why artists like Venetian Snares use Renoise though, great proggie. Maybe I’m not too familiar with the software yet :)

I’ve been using Ableton Live a lot, Live is great for some areas, but is lacking in flexibility when it comes to beats.

Some useful tips would be great.
Cheers! :D

I’m not sure exactly what effect you want, but you could try using the volume column - 00 and 40 for off/on.

Another way I can think of would be to control a volume slider with LFO using square wave. x600 in effect column resets the wave (right click on reset button). Then you could go really crazy automating the frequency, or even controlling it with another LFO.

And if you happened to be registered and were testing Renoise 1.8bx then full volume on and off would be 00 to 80 (in hex of course), not the old 00 to 40. Hard to break the habit of 10 years of tracking where thinking in divisors of 40 hex lines is second nature. If you have 1.52 then use the 40-00 effect.

However, if you would like to do this with a vst then maybe try: Skidder

Also try 0E01 - 0E05 in command column for note retriggering. Sounds good with snares etc.

I think you mean something like in Photek - Seven Samurai. That’s just a volume LFO, nothing fancy.

the way i do it is with 04xx

c-5 01 -- 0403  

this is the best way i figured out how to do. This is actually the last technical feature that i still miss in Renoise from Impulse Tracker. IT had the Ixy patter command where x was on-ticks and y was off. so you could turn the gate on and off multiple times per row. Renoise has no programmatic approach to this. If you need stutters with multiple precision inside a row in Renoise, the best way to go is LFO/Volume. Maybe one day :rolleyes:

if it absolutely MUST be programmed in rather than use a VST solution…well theres no real easy way to do it if your stutter has to be faster than each line passing (usually the case, unless you’re up in the 250+ BPM’s or something)

one method, to painstakingly program your start and end points in greater detail, which will require the use of lots of extra columns (which creates other obvious hassles);

for instance, at line speed 6, making a stutter @ 3rds of a line…

C-4 01 – F2 ---- | C-4 01 – F4 0D02 | C-4 01 – -- 0D04
C-4 01 – F2 ---- | C-4 01 – F4 0D02 | C-4 01 – F0 0D04
C-4 01 – F2 ---- | C-4 01 – F4 0D02 | C-4 01 – F0 0D04

…etc

another way is to change your line speed to a lower number of ticks per line (F1## in the effects column; ie F102 = speed 2) for the duration of your stutter effect…also has obvious repocussions.

depending on the context of the stutter you can usually accomodate at least one of these methods to avoid moving to vst territory…though vst is obviously alot neater.

quick edit RE 0E0# retrigger - I find this to be less versatile than its counter-part of E# in the panning column, as the effects column retrigger effect starts the “triggering” at the beginning of the sample again (or at a sample offset point in another effects column in the same track on the same line…), whereas the panning column retrigger triggers from the point at which the sample is playing at the start of the line.

Wanna know the best way?

Try this.

Setup a “SEND DEVICE” on the track you wish to gate.

Keep “MUTE SOURCE” then setup a midi controller (like your mod bar on a synth) to a on and off trigger… walla you have a realtime open close gating effect for all your trance / breakbeat songs :) Cut and paste the line commands for higher res triggers… enjoy ;0

i think it’s awesome how half of us are talking about ‘gating’, the other half are talking about retriggering, yet there remains this general sense as though everyone is talking about the same thing…

:rolleyes:

i think its awesome that people have the time to review, assess and come up with witicisms for other peoples hastily written comments of trying to be helpful

correct, I was sidetracked by that retrigger comment…

the second thing mentioned was the original idea; of line speed changes. but distorted.

ie. for a longer sample/whatever, simply:

C-4 01 – -- F106

----- – -- 00 F101 <- this is where the fast gating kicks in
----- – -- 40 ---- …believe it or not
----- – -- 00 ----
----- – -- 40 ----
----- – -- 00 ----
----- – -- 40 ----
----- – -- 00 ----
----- – -- 40 ----
----- – -- 00 ----
----- – -- 40 ----
----- – -- 00 ----
----- – -- 40 ----
----- – -- 00 ----
----- – -- 40 ----
----- – -- 00 ----
----- – -- 40 ----
----- – -- 00 ----
----- – -- 40 ----
----- – -- 00 ----
----- – -- 40 ----
----- – -- 00 ----
----- – -- 40 ----
----- – -- 00 ----
----- – -- 40 ----
----- – -- – F106

and thats (about) 4 lines of pretty fast gating. but it will play havoc on the rest of your programming for that region of song.