Gating With Note On/off

Can you think of a way I can get a playing renoise sample or track to mute while I’m holding a MIDI key or drum pad down, and reattain volume when I release it?

It would require responding to MIDI note on/off messages, whereas the only ways I can think of implementing it involve mapping gate or volume sliders to MIDI CCs.

Found a way to do it with a combination of energyXT and Tobybear N2CC feeding MIDI into Renoise. Would be nice to have support for VSTs that manipulate MIDI within Renoise, mind you. ;)

Rounser,

can you give me a lecture on EnergyXT? I tried to use it for a bit, of course didn’t explore the whole capabilities of the program (I didn’t even scratched the surface yet), but I didn’t see the big deal, even tho I learned that this soft is awesome.

Can u give me some input about it?

Thx! B)

Lecture, heh…yeah, I guess I do a bit. :lol:

Uhm, well for me it does a few things which I’ve become dependent on (in that, take them away and I’m far more likely to become stuck and/or get bored, same as with what Renoise offers)…I think the big boy sequencers like Cubase and Logic can do things like this, but they’re not available to me:

1. Chord improvisation. If you learn some chord theory and program in-key chords and their inversions into the the chords module, you can do the one-key chord thing, which is useful to hacks like me who can’t play keyboard. ;) Once improvised in-key chords are in place I add the odd out of key one manually, with reference to the theory…

2. Staying in key (seeing a theme here?). Today (as in, right now) I’m setting up energyXT’s midi patcher so that it forces the white keys of my keyboard to minor scale or whatever, and can be transposed…again because I’m a hack who can’t play a keyboard. :P (I know that if you start on A with the white keys you’ll get A minor, but my Remote 25 only has two octaves and I want to be able to easily transpose to D# minor and see if it fits over an acapella, for instance, or hammer out in-key chords and leads and bleepy bits and basslines without stretching fingers to the black keys. Again, lazy, I know…)

3. Arpeggiator module. Haven’t really explored it but it’s there if you need it. That said, I don’t really like this for arps or bleepy little sequences, but rather find it easier to mess with ERA instead. Speaking of which…

4. Because energyXT supports MIDI in and out with VST plugins, it can host ERA, which is a quite blinding little step sequencer plugin with a different workflow to most sequencing apps, including trackers…and which you have to mess with in order to understand and see if it’s for you…personally I love the thing for the focus it gives you on a single bar or phrase, which you can then string together or or overlay with others, the ease of entering chords and trying the loop at different speeds, and the sliders for note length and note delay are cool, and it’s useful for drumming too. I recommend trying out the demo at www.sonicbytes.com (although for it to work in energyXT outside of energyXT’s sequencer [which I personally don’t like and never use] you have to turn autosync off in the preferences). Again, I told myself that in theory there’s nothing it can do that couldn’t be done in Renoise or Reason or FL Studio or whatever, but it encourages a different way of programming in the user that I simply don’t do elsewhere, and I immediately missed it when trying to do without it.

So yeah, it’s all workflow and laziness stuff. I use energyXT and ERA basically because I can’t play keyboard and I want to make harmonic improvisation and riff-making easier…similarly to why I use Renoise because it makes sample manipulation for me so much easier. Of course, what works for me would probably be considered neither here nor there by a good deal of others. Different strokes and all that. (If you do try energyXT to feed Renoise with MIDI data, you’ll have to set Renoise to Directsound, have MIDIYoke installed, and I recommend using Tobybear VST2MID rather than energyXT standalone’s own MIDI out because there’s a lot less latency that way, at least for me.)

If you’ve got any thoughts/recommendations/suggestions on workflow of your own I’d be interested to hear them, for that matter.

Thx for the info man. I’ll still insist on learning EnergyXT so I can use it as a VST effect. I heard it is awesome for that.

thx for the time to explain the soft to us m8.

AVB