Getting contacted by a small digital label - How to react ?

Hi guys!

Yesterdat I got a soundcloud message from a new small french label and I wanted to have your thoughts / feelings / suggestions about that.

They said I can release a “digital maxi” (+/- 5 tracks from what I understood) through their label, and they will sell it on JunoDownload.

My first reaction was to be happy, but then I had a look at the label and I got a bit disapointed.

They are really new (Jully 2014), they only have releases from one artist, when I clicked their youtube link it was down, they do not have many followers / friends on soundcloud / facebook, …

This doesn’t seems to be very professional! (FYI, it ishttps://soundcloud.com/urban-entropy))

But on the other hand, I have nothing to lose (except being associated with a non pro label … or that someone just take my tracks on sell them, without adding any value what so ever).

What do you think?

What good reasons are there to be released through a label versus juste releasing my tracks myself (or continuing to give them for free)?

What should I ask of them (mastering, promotion, …)? What are the common prices? Is JunoDownload a good “store”?

If you have (good or bad) experiences publishing songs through labels, I would love to hear it!

Thank you in advance, I can’t wait to read your advices!

Cheers!

Hi PPlo !!

If you really want to make your music available for selling over the internet you do not need these guys. Today there is plenty of ways of doing it and it seems like they just want to do it for you but at what cost while you could put it yourself on junodownload anyway !

Also you should check cd baby as you are on soundcloud : http://members.cdbaby.com/soundcloud

But to finish, you can do what you want but if you really want to sell your music with a netlabel, there is plenty to choose from and some more appropriate for your kind of music too that will reach the proper audience :slight_smile: !

Hi guys!

Yesterdat I got a soundcloud message from a new small french label and I wanted to have your thoughts / feelings / suggestions about that.

My first reaction was to be happy, but then I had a look at the label and I got a bit disapointed.

As TanookiMonk said you don’t actually need anyone else in order to make stuff available on the Net.

That’s technically true, but now that everyone and their mother has something on the Net it becomes very hard to get noticed. A possible benefit of a label is that they can get that attention for you. If they have an exiting audience, if they have some marketing clout, then they could be of help.

This particular label seems to have none of that. I’m guessing their at the stage where they need artists more than artists need them.

The devil is in the details. If you do not have to sign away any rights or options (e.g. they aren’t going to limit you from working with any other label) then maybe there is no harm. If you think perhaps they are worth supporting, that maybe down the line they would be a good label to be with, perhaps you’d want to help them out. That’s not the impression I get, though.

In addition to Soundcloud you should look into Bandcamp as a place to sell your music.

Music marketing is a tough nut, though.

It’s one thing to make the music, quite another to get the world to notice.

Thank you for your answers guys!

From what I read there are plenty of ways for me to sell my music online, and this choice (going with the small new unknown label) isn’t necessary the best one.

Anyway, selling my music isn’t something I’m in love with.

First, I already give my tracks for free on my soundcloud, and second, I don’t think my tracks currently have the technical and artistical level to charge people for them!

And to be honest, I never buy tracks online … I listen to them on various sites but I never buy anything … shame on me!

I talked about this event with a friend who suggested me this : create a few tracks for the label and publish them under another name / alias.

So I don’t get my name involved in something I’m not sure about, and if it happens that this label somehow become something big, I still have that contact with them (and I can say “Yeah, I’ve been published by a label!” )

I think I’ll go with this idea.

Thanks again for your kind comments, it was very interesting and it allows me to realize I’m not very confortable with selling my tracks, I’de rather get a little money for playing live!

I’ll keep you up with the news about this! And of course I’m still hungry for more advices!

Cheers and thanks again!

Hey guys!

I said I was going to give you news about this, so here they are.

I wrote them like two weeks ago just to ask what are the conditions and advantages to be published by them. And for two weeks no answers…

I finally got an answer yesterday, saying that the advantages are that they work on your cover and they do promotion for you on facebook and youtube.

The conditions (here it’s getting pretty funny) are that once I released a track on their label I musn’t realease it in other labels, AND (here it comes) that they will just keep all the money made from my tracks :slight_smile:

I was pretty stunned, the guy said that he can’t give me a share of the money made by selling MY tracks because he need money to build a website …

BUT if my song is sold one million time, I can have a share on the profit (not exagerating here, he truly said one million!) … Waaaaaaw! So generous!

So basically, this guy is asking me to finance his label …

Is this common? Or is just this guy out of his mind ?

Anyway, the fewenthusiasm that I had left for this project just disapeared when I saw their answer…

What do you think of this? Did you already face this kind of situation? How big is the share of the label when they release your track?

Wow this seems like this guy have no respect for musician and i don’t like that ! Hope his fishing session won’t work and that no fish will feed his hungry wallet-belly !

Now i just hope he will contact me someday that i can tell him what i think about that :slight_smile: !

Woah. Yup, he is definitely out of his mind.
I would never settle for anything less than 50%, unless it had been a big, proper, respectful label that I knew would do a solid promotion job.
And jeez… one million copies, that’s just… hilarious :badteeth: .In some genres not even the hottest artist sell that much these days.
If I were you I would instead try sending some material to some labels you look up to, and if no response - release them yourself and keep 100%.

If you are looking for small label, contact me. I am more than happy to release good stuff under Remixta label.

• Distribution to all digital media outlets including iTunes, Spotify, Beatport, Juno, Play, Amazon, etc.
  • Mastering and cover design if required done by industry proffesionals at no cost to artist.
  • Physical CD printing and mailorder.
  • Promotion etc.

And of course the profits go to the artist. :slight_smile:

Thanks for your answers!

I suspected that this proposition wasn’t advantageous for me, but I wanted to read your thoughts about it (especialy about the share, thank you Denim).

I answered politely saying that I wasn’t interested and wishing him good luck.

There was my adventure, I hope this post will help other people in the same situation!

Thanks again for your advices!

Cheers!

Can only talk about things in germany here and have no idea, how this is handled in other countries. By tax laws and trade regulation it can make a quite huge difference here, if you’re selling music yourself or via a label. For an official classification as a free artist you have to concentrate on creating your art stuff, but still have to prove the intention to work for profit. The benefits of being classified as a free artist are simplified administrations and the permission to work as a freelancer without running a registered business. Also the VAT on your sales is different (smaller) to commercial sales then. These are just some rough differences.

If you’re not classified as a free artist, all the rules around doing business are way more strict and the administrations can become way more complex (and costly).

So, at least for germany, it’s a good idea to consult a tax adviser about your decision “label or not?”. Doing sales yourself here isn’t always a good idea and signing with a label can absolutely make sense.

Wow, I sure wouldn’t wish the dude good luck after such ridiculous e-mail that he sent to you :slight_smile: In fact the very next morning I’d probably be in a black sports car, with one foot on the gas pedal, in front of his house, just waiting until he comes out to sign him a new exclusive deal with my tires! Joking of course, but you get my point.

Even though labels are usually bloodsucking vampires feeding on artists, small labels actually know well that they have to give in order to establish a good starting lineup in their roster, hence all the online contests. At least it looks like it on the surface (don’t have personal experience).

It seems like this guy didn’t get the memo. I’m not a big fan of being polite when dealig with d#&heads. If you “yes sir, no sir” them, when are they gonna learn? Not only he had absolutely nothing to offer but he demanded 100% from you. That’s pathetic.

I have a story about being on a small net label. it’s not quite a happy one

Last year i got in touch with a dude starting a vaporwave cassette netlabel. I thought to myself “why not” because like you, I had nothing to lose… or so i thought. Then I made a short 5 track release set to be put on cassette and everything looked like it was in order. He sent me pics of the cassettes he made, he had the technology to do it so i trusted him completely with that side of the project. So fast forward the next month we got a few artists on the label and we are all making sales, and just happy to see our music get out there being heard by others. It’s a great feeling! Even though i was just an artist he was telling me everything was going great and agreed to pay me 50%. So I get paid for the first few sales, and more cassettes are selling at a decent pace. I then ask for payment and he says he will send the funds. Next week i see no funds in my paypal, then I start to kind of get mad but i don’t lose my cool, because maybe he’s just actually busy since there’s like over 10 artists on the label now (this is like around 4 or 5 months in). Not sure of what to think i email him again and get no responses at all. Now i am really starting to lose my cool

This is when things went to shite. One month later I email him again and still nothing, so then i email other people on the label to see whats happening, if they got paid or are in contact with the label manager. Everyone i contacted replies telling me they haven’t spoken a word to manager for a while, basically in the same boat as me. Comepletely in the dark, unpaid, hungry and scared. Eventually I end up digging a little deeper, I go CSI up in this piece. Look at his accound on reddit, go through his posts, find out emails he’s given out, see all the accounts associated with emails. Find out his main email address. Fire off a well thought out, well written email informing him of his incompetencies. I tell him to act like a professional and don’t mess this up. This is serious business, I know it’s just vaporwave,it’s so underground it’s doesn’t even matter in the real world, but the moment money was involved, shit got real. So within the week I received an email from him, relieved, Unfortunately i just stressed out even more from what he told me. He admitted that he failed and messed up but his intentions were good. Everything just got much for him so he folded under the pressure. Thus leading him to turn away from the very thing he started. Also he told me he was going to pay us out and send out the rest of the cassettes he never sent out (which was like 95% of the orders the label got) After he makes amends and gets back on track he said he wasn’t certain about the future of the label.

Somewhat satisfied, i thought that it’s probably the smartest thing to do in this situation. Fix everything first then see where that takes us because fucking over artists and customers is the last thing you wanna do. Not even long after, he completely disappeared!! Deleted all the pages he made for the label, even the tumblr, bandcamp and reddit account. No replies to email. Purposely avoiding me and probably everyone else. He took the money and ran. Backdoor bandits strike again. Now this is probably one of the few big scandels in the vaporwave community. The label i mentioned is called Virtual Disk Systems. I severely regret being involved in aiding this scum. He brought shame to my art project and now my name will forever be tainted with lies and deceit. My fans who ordered cassettes never got what they paid for and it feels absolutely terrible.

So in the end this was a great learning experience. I learned that do some research on the person hiring you. Go through their record of ventures like artist names, and google their email address to see what they have been doing on this slippery hyperspace we call the internet. engage in contact with the label regularly, ask for updates and discuss how your product is being marketed and give pointers if need be. Make sure to give the fans what they want above all else. it’s about the music. Ensure a level of trust at all times.

As for me, i completely went 100% solo. bought a tape deck and put out a new vaporwave album on cassette. Self released it and sold out! it’s pretty amazing what you can do if you put your mind to it. So I think my name is mostly clear of a bad image. people got their cassettes. I am happy, everyone make smile to their face.

What happened to me can most definitely happen to you. Do your research and you’ll be fine. Be careful out there. Streets is mean!

MeowFlakes, maybe you could release all this scam-label stuff for free and post it on many related forums, sharing the same story that you did just now as a cautionary tale and taking the opportunity to ask people who paid money for your music to forgive you?

This way, you’d clear up whatever dirt has been left on your name and have some great promotion while you’re at it - with that message, you can definitely post your music to places where you’d otherwise get banned for doing so.

And if the douche comes back from the cave and states that this is his material, tell him that you’ve contacted all those other artists who he also ripped off plus few fans who didn’t get their cassettes and are just eager to get your hands on his address so you can sue him. He will bail.

MeowFlakes, maybe you could release all this scam-label stuff for free and post it on many related forums, sharing the same story that you did just now as a cautionary tale and taking the opportunity to ask people who paid money for your music to forgive you?

This way, you’d clear up whatever dirt has been left on your name and have some great promotion while you’re at it - with that message, you can definitely post your music to places where you’d otherwise get banned for doing so.

And if the douche comes back from the cave and states that this is his material, tell him that you’ve contacted all those other artists who he also ripped off plus few fans who didn’t get their cassettes and are just eager to get your hands on his address so you can sue him. He will bail.

I already went ahead and made new cassettes of the album released last year and I haven’t got an idea who bought them before. on my blog i put out that people who ordered one that didn’t recieve from the label can recieve one for free from me. I am currently selling them again atm. I told myslef i was gonna do this release right. I was going to change the art since i never really liked it in the first place, it was just a rough idea i had at the time but the label owner used it anyways. but oh well. it’s already out there with that image so why change it now.

here are some pics of the cassettes, i used some high quality production. fancy flourescent cases, double sided j cards. full color. printing is expensive! lol
https://f1.bcbits.com/img/0005478215_10.jpg
https://f1.bcbits.com/img/0005479508_10.jpg

I put time and energy into making this a great release. it’s art. but so far no one has reached out about their losses. so i am assuming they forgot or they actually recieved the cassette from the label… which i doubt. But i also got wind that the label owner told an artist he was sending out his cassettes. so maybe that means he’s doing it for everyone. I can also request a list of address to mail mine out but i am pretty sure there’s laws against giving out personal addresses or something. for the most part i think i redeemed myself. i got fans who know the whole ordeal