Ghost Notes Enhancements

I can’t search the manual right now so maybe can answer this for me. In FastTracker2 you could retrigger the envelope of a instrument without change the notedata. If I remember correctly, you only typed the instrument number but not the notenumber and it would retrigger the envelope without retriggering the sample.

Does Renoise have this implemented? Is this called ghost notes in Renoise? I tried ghost notes once, but the results weren’t what I expected.

Thanks for your time.

Why don’t you load the “Ghost notes” tutorial from the Help menu and see how the Ghost notes are properly used :)

Basically, it’s the other way round: the sample is retriggered but the envelope is not!
Just take a look at Ghost Notes uncovered

I’m responsible for the introduction of this feature in Renoise, and also for its scary name :)

as Plasmaniac pointed out, the Ghost Notes do not have to be confused with FT2’s Envelope Retrigging, to obtain which you could simply trigger the same note again.

So your the one responsible ey!? :D

I just read the Ghost Notes article again, I did that before and got confused.

Maybe I know what causes the confusion; Is it true that deleting the instrument number gives you a ghost note, and deleting the notenumber gives you a retrigger of the envelope only?

whoops, sorry… too much time has passed since I opened FT2 last time… :rolleyes:

the only way you can obtain the same result in Renoise is by using 09xx:

C-4 01 ----  
--- -- ----  
C-4 01 0920  

but this is certainly not the best solution, as there could not be sufficient precision in the 09xx command, nor the fastest, since you should carefully look for the best 09xx value to avoid audio hiccups.

I have asked for this feature in the past, but actually I cannot remember for which reason it didn’t manage to be implemented. I am going to move this thread to the suggestions forum.

edit in consequence of your edit :)

no, you were right: the first statement is true, the second is wrong

A good way to implement it:

C-4 01  
--- --  
--- --  
C-4 -- C-4 01  
--- --  

C-4 01  
--- --  
--- --  
--- 01 C-4 01  
--- --  

do you maybe mean the opposite?

C-4 01  
--- --  
--- --  
C-4 --   
C-4 01  
--- --  
--- --  

edit in consequence of your edit again :D

ok, I see you edited your post and now we are saying the same thing

So the claim of the Indepth article that states that Ghost Notes were first used in Fasttracker is not true? The technique, deleting the instrument number, is the same. But in FT2 you would retrigger the envelope and not the sample or notedata.

Anywayz, it would be nice to change the topictitle to: “We would like to retrigger the instrument envelope without retriggering the sample!”, and move it to the ideas and sugestions section. I’m already daydreaming about making a bassdrumtrack with both techniques :)

indeed I was strictly referring to the technique of removing the instrument number, not to the consequence of the action. I will edit the topic title, and let’s hope this will be possible in the future