Got a DMCA infringement notice for a tutorials .xrnt..

I’ve just received this from dropbox:

As I will never believe that envelopes in themselves are copyrighted material in any way (virtually every synth has them), or that .xrnt files that you can create with Renoise are in any way copyrighted even if you like to donate them to the public domain… I would really hope someone in the Renoise team is able to explain what this is about (I guess not, since the DMCA is inexplicable even for some of the politicians that voted for it)
I’m not really about to fill in the counter notification form, as it says ‘scary’ things like “The IFPI will sue you if they still think you infringed”.

The file belongs a tutorial on my wordpress. What the hell is this about?
(the chain doesn’t have references to any non-native fx)

WTF? This has to be some kind of bizarre false-positive, surely?

Sue them, take all their money.

“If you believe that this DMCA notice was sent in error, you may file a counter notification.”

Fix’d?

If you want to go that route, there are a few online sources with counter-notification letter templates you can use.
Once you file a counter-notification, Dropbox lets the party who filed the original notification (International Federation of the Phonographic Industry, in this case) know, and restores the content in 10-14 days, unless they bring a lawsuit against you.

So, if that file is really just a native device chain, then I doubt the filing party has any legal ground to stand on.

Note: There is legal precedent for winning damages (under section 512(f)) against parties that wrongfully file takedown notices (e.g. Crook v. 10 Zen Monkeys), so

might be an option, though it would likely be more along the lines of

In summary, this is what could happen if you file a counter-notification:

• They’re actually convinced you’re infringing their copyright, and you end up in court. I don’t see why you wouldn’t win this, because it’s just a device chain, but you’d still have to deal with it. And I’m not a legal professional, so what do I know anyway.
  • They realize it’s just a false positive (or it was just an intimidation thing all along, they never actually thought you were infringing their copyright), don’t take action, and the content is restored in ~2 weeks.

Of course, if you take some random dude’s legal advice from the internet seriously, you deserve whatever happens to you.
Consult with a legal professional before taking counter-action.

I’m convinced this must be a false-positive by some aggressive web bot that is automatically scouring the internet for potential copyright infringements. It has somehow found this DSP chain file and mistakenly detected the fingerprint of some other content, or some string of characters within the chain’s XML that unfortunately matches some known material elsewhere. It’s anyone’s guess really, but this is clearly bogus.

@Cas: Did you submit the counter notification yet, and explain to them exactly what the file is, what its content and purpose are, and how it cannot possibly infringe upon anything from the International Federation of the Phonographic Industry?

Didn’t submit it right away, the form seemed kind of frightening at first. And there’s no room for any type of personal comment. I do agree though that it cannot possibly be an infringement, since I authored it myself, using Renoise, and decided to give it to the ‘public domain’ (I guess, but not yet explicitly); the annoying side effect of Dropbox’ action is that now my tools are probably unreachable too :(.
Also, the IFPI did not include any information on whose copyright I would be infringing when creating and sharing it, or what type of copyright, it’s just weird.

Yeah, i would really do that, just to bring out the message how rediculous the DMCA notice is.

Would love to. But how are the odds that the IFPI are now reading up this topic, hands like this:

“Wish a mahfacka would…”

Hehe, i doubt, but at least suing their asses off is a bit less drastic than DDos their servers or flying planes into their serverrooms :P

Well I’ve emailed two different orgs that are specific to this kind of rights/law - EFF being one of course - but unless I get any response I’m definitely letting the 10day period (I believe it is) pass… It’s annoying enough that I moved everything from the tutorial folder, so even though I’ve put the pictures back of course they’re gonna have different links and I’m gonna have to fill this in again via wordpress. I’m definitely on the lookout for a no-nonsense (aka doesn’t turn away from client at the sight of the word DMCA - not that dropbox or wordpress do this) hosting in NL.

If you have a fixed ip address, you could simply register a domain at Starthosting.net without requiring server rent (you can host your own site on a cheap laptop using XAMPP or YAMPP), it allows you to do your own DNS redirect management.

This is awesome. I just had this same idea before, I have a domain already (perfect for the tools / tutorials especially), and a old eeePC laying around. Just need to dig into some of the routing and security teachings…

This is definitely odd!!! Fight it

:yeah: :walkman:

http://www.npr.org/blogs/alltechconsidered/2013/09/27/226834651/record-label-picks-a-fight-over-copyright-with-the-wrong-guy

Anyway, I’m still looking for cheap to free hosting space, as I don’t count my old eeePC as a stable factor (power plug doesn’t stay), and now all my tool download links are still down on dropbox.

eeePC could be a perfect candidate, a pity the power plug messes up. I currently use a NAS now. The only crap i have with it (ReadyNas) is to change the main page redirection to the admin page everytime i did a firmware update, but it has the storage and modifyable Linux environment to customise it to your needs.

Wow, I know DMCA exists but I have never seen actual notices.

hi,

i really would like to have your drum files, are they somewhere now?

if not, i recommend using github.com

it’s intended for code in the public domain, but doesnt really matter, its pretty cool, for free, easy to backup your files (using git, just check it out) and also people can fork it and so on.

anyway, i would be really happy if this stuff would reappear :)

thanks