Group track with notes -> Trigger for sub tracks

Hi,

if the group tracks could contain notes, these notes could be send down to all sub tracks. In this way you could trigger multiple synths with one note.

What do you think about it?

It`s definitely one approach to layering.

How would you deal with notes already present in the sub-tracks? Would they play aswell or would having group notes over-ride them?

Former would be more flexible and my choice.

Sidenote for the interested: A tool with a basic implementation along these lines:

https://www.renoise.com/tools/sync-all-notes-in-group

Hm, then subtracks would priority over parent tracks. But I totally forgot that instruments are tied to the note by instrument number :stuck_out_tongue: Then Renoise would have to look into instruments routings per track…

Or maybe it would be better add multiple targets to the Renoise’s midi target instrument selector instead, and then route the instruments to individual tracks. So providing a “meta midi-thru” instrument that provides multiple targets.

Tbh, if it were down to me, I would get rid of instrument number altogether and have instruments tied to tracks, as in most other DAWs. You could then have a default instrument device at the beginning of each DSP lane ready for automation etc (like Bitwig). You could then do your stacking at instrument/ track level. Multi-out routing to other tracks of course still possible too.

While at it I would limit sample commands to their own sample command lane in the pattern editor, with each lane ready named/ names automatically updating. Similar to automation lanes, with search to find lanes quickly and bring them to view.

As you might tell Im not a fan of trackers legacy of anything anywhere. Particularly as hardware limitations dont force you to squash into 4 or 8 total tracks anymore…

Tbh, if it were down to me, I would get rid of instrument number altogether and have instruments tied to tracks, as in most other DAWs…

100% agreed!

Tbh, if it were down to me, I would get rid of instrument number altogether and have instruments tied to tracks, as in most other DAWs. You could then have a default instrument device at the beginning of each DSP lane ready for automation etc (like Bitwig). You could then do your stacking at instrument/ track level. Multi-out routing to other tracks of course still possible too.

How would multiple instruments in one track work then? Or duplicating a track for parallel processing, stereo widening, etc?

In the MIDI tap in the upper left you can assign an instrument to MIDI signals and to a specific track. Assigning different instruments, each with their own track assigned, to the same MIDI signal might be a similar workaround for what you want.

Multiple instruments would be stacked at the track level. It`s similar to having an instrument list for each track. The limitation would be that they would all play the same notes, unless you did some keyzoning on them. You could still have flexible routing of MIDI or audio to other tracks.

Duplicating a track would still work as it does now. You would have copies of each instrument though.

Parallel processing within the track could do with improvements aswell. A simple mix slider for each DSP would be a great start!

The comments are not so much about needing workarounds as thoughts on design decisions (from tracker legacy) towards making the renoise instrument-track structure more organised. I don`t expect they will be added/ changed anytime soon…

Still at least a mix slider would be nice! :slight_smile: